shape
carat
color
clarity

Necklace Seting: Fixed in the middle or pendant style?

What style would you select for a bezeled solitaire necklace?

• Fixed-in-the-middle necklace

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Pendant on a chain

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

duckduckgoose

Rough_Rock
I am having necklace made in a solitaire bezel setting and I am torn between having it fixed in the middle or having it set into a pendant so that it is removable and the chain adjustable. I was originally just going to do a pendant style to be safe, but I do really like the look of having it as a continuous necklace.

Does anyone have both and is there one style that you prefer? My thought is that the single necklace style will shift and be off-center often (and be only one length), but then on the pendant I wonder if it will have the clasp always slipping to the front. Thoughts? :)

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I've been debating the same thing. Looking through old threads, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer one way or the other, although the consensus seemed to be that the fixed ones do end up off center frequently. My main concern is that the sliding ones, unless they are in a very heavy bezel, seem to flip easily.

Does anyone have a sliding very fine bezel that does NOT flip much? What do you think makes the difference?

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I had one that was fixed on the chain and it always traveled up my neck. It drove me crazy. I now have one that slides on the chain through 2 holes in the back of the setting. I did try having the diamond reset in a bezel setting but it flipped and twisted. My diamond is 1.08 ct but was so light when set that way. The setting may look big in the photos but when worn all you see is the diamond.

20150713_134952_resized.jpg

20150713_134631_resized.jpg

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Brian Gavin "Barbara" sliding bezel pendant and I love it. They have a fixed version too but my necklaces tend to travel around my neck so the fixed would've driven me batty. :twirl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have a (single) Tiffany DTBY--so it is fixed. I love it! It travels but that doesn't bother me. Good luck on your decision.

cheers--Sharon

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
I have the BGD Barbara pendant. The clasp doesn't travel much for me, and to the extent it moves, I detect it long before it reaches the front.

I wouldn't want a fixed necklace because it would move all over. I like the pendant to stay centered.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I prefer a sliding pendant over a fixed one. I don't like having to deal with the diamond traveling around and having to constantly fix it.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I voted for the sliding pendant. Looking forward to seeing what you choose!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
duckduckgoose|1436793455|3902199 said:
I am having necklace made in a solitaire bezel setting and I am torn between having it fixed in the middle or having it set into a pendant so that it is removable and the chain adjustable. I was originally just going to do a pendant style to be safe, but I do really like the look of having it as a continuous necklace.

Does anyone have both and is there one style that you prefer? My thought is that the single necklace style will shift and be off-center often (and be only one length), but then on the pendant I wonder if it will have the clasp always slipping to the front. Thoughts? :)

I long ago quit making the fixed style. Of those that I did, I do not believe I EVER had a client not come back and be cranky about it would never stay in the middle.

Even though the clasp will often slide around to the front, it is easily rectified at any time. Also, having the pendant itself as the center of attraction, often the clasp is not even noticed by the casual viewer.

Having the ability to change the look entirely with different chains is another huge plus on the side of the removable pendant in my opinion.

As a vendor, I am not voting in your poll, but I wanted to add my two cents.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results