shape
carat
color
clarity

Near colorless diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2005 12:12:51 PM
Author: ForteKitty
Actually, I have a 1.13ct G diamond, and we can spot the difference in color immediately, face up. When you tilt it, the difference is even more obvious. I guess my family and friends are more picky with color than anything else. The first thing my aunt said was, ''God that thing is white, is it a D? Good job!'' My best friend compared my G with my mom''s D, and she noticed the color difference right away as well. As far as clarity, it''s all psychological. As long as we know, it doesn''t really matter whether others know or not.
2.gif

Yes, the setting does make it appear larger, although that wasn''t my intention. The custom platinum setting has 1ct of princess cut diamonds, and that whole ring only cost me $11k, so I think I did rather well. I only have to save an extra month or two to make the difference... and my mom''s totally worth it!!
1.gif

forgot to add:

HOWEVER, if I were buying a ring for myself, I would drop in color & clarity, but still remain around the same size range. 1.25 F/VS2 is my sweet spot.
5.gif
FK
seems like chinese always goes for the D-E/IF-VVS type of stone
34.gif
to me a G VS1 will look like a D FL once mounted,especially with a dirty pavil there is no way i can tell the difference D-G color
33.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday I was looking at two F colored stones. One was a marquise and the other was an oval. Both were 1 carat. The oval had an amazing cut on it and was beautiful. It looked MUCH whiter than the F. In fact, I asked if the F was really an F. It was...they were both GIA graded. But the marquise was on off-white foam and the color was showing through it...It looked very yellowish to me.

It just goes to show you that CUT is everything!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2005 9:33:51 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
FK
seems like chinese always goes for the D-E/IF-VVS type of stone
34.gif
to me a G VS1 will look like a D FL once mounted,especially with a dirty pavil there is no way i can tell the difference D-G color
33.gif
I can tell tho!
7.gif
But yes, you''re sorta right... my .90 marquise is E/VVS2, and my .43 RHR is D/VS2. But I got those two for dirt cheap from private sellers so it doesn''t count... $2800 for both, including 3-sided pave plat ring for the marq., and ruby sidestone ring for the RHR!!! i simply lucked out big time.
9.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2005 3:35:38 AM
Author: rosy

Date: 3/9/2005 7:36
6.gif
5 AM
Author: sjz

I think it has to do with priorities, as others have suggested. My diamonds might be small in pricescope standards, but they are of excellent quality and most were not cheap by any means.
I would never buy a diamond solely to impress other people. But I would gladly drop down in color & clarity (but never cut) to get a bigger stone. I think it''s just part of being a wise consumer, a smart shopper. Getting the most bang for the buck, applies to any other commodity out there. Also not many people have big diamonds so it''s fun being different & having something unique. I never brag about the diamond & I never point it out to anyone. If someone walks by showing off their new one carat ring I always put my hands in my pockets to be courteous. So just because you have a big diamond doesn''t make you shallow or a show-off, to me it''s just more beauty on my hand for me to enjoy. If others notice it great, if they don''t that''s fine too.
You would be surprised, though, how many people actually DO choose their diamonds for the express purpose of impressing people. I have known people who didn''t care about the cut or the quality of their diamond...only the carat weight. And they always make sure they tell you what the carat weight of their diamond is, too. Personally, for the money I would prefer the nicer diamond with a better clarity over size any day. And lucky for me, I prefer diamonds in the H-J color range because of the warmth, which means I usually can spend a little less for my stones. I can also usually spot the color easily in a diamond. I don''t really like diamonds with a pronounced yellow tinge, but just a hint of something other that white. Does that make any sense? Not knocking people who prefer the higher color grades at all. I just don''t prefer them. Just as I don''t really prefer really huge stones. I enjoy looking at them on other people''s hands, just not on mine.

I''ve always had people grabbing my hand and complimenting my rings. They ask me all the time if I use some kind of special cleaner on them, because they sparkle so much! I can''t say that for a lot of the larger stones I''ve seen out here in the real world. That''s why, in a way, I feel a little sorry for the ladies that choose poorly cut stones just to get that huge size, thinking they would impress people. Their money would have been well spent adjusting their mentality and considering a better cut and clarity over the size. Incidentally...I think that a lot of sparkle actually makes a stone look BIGGER than it''s carat weight. Must be some kind of optical illusion.
9.gif

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2005 4:45:17 PM
Author: ursulawrite
I totally agree with Fortekitty. My e-ring is E, VVS1, Ideal Cut and Symmetry. I realise that I could have purchased something bigger than 1.32 carats. But there was no way I was going to compromise on colour. I like knowing that my icy white diamond is of an extremely high quality, even if other people only look at the size. (Which I don''t think they do because everyone comments that my e-ring is the whitest, sparkliest diamond they''ve ever seen.)
Well that''s great, why not have it all & get a larger E colored stone & you''ll get one more compliment added, "that''s the whitest, sprarkliest diamond I''ve ever seen & it''s so big!"

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 3:12:40 AM

Well that''s great, why not have it all & get a larger E colored stone & you''ll get one more compliment added, ''that''s the whitest, sprarkliest diamond I''ve ever seen & it''s so big!''
Rosy~ Why do you care so much about what others think? It seems as tho you''re in it for the compliments more than your own personal enjoyment.
33.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of beautiful stones on ps that are near colorless and below. They are amazing. But I have my own limit. Color is really important to me and unfortunately, I see everything. It''s a blessing and a curse...just like my nose that smells everything- it''s a blessing and curse LOL...

But I want to add that in rounds, I think the color is masked so I''d go lower in color in a round.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock

I have an F, G & I. I''ve said it before. I like the biggest one! Honestly, I see no difference in color.

One thing to consider - Color is graded face down. The face up "color" appearance of a diamond is more subjective. One could notice a difference of color between two F''s. Sometimes the face up appearance of a G may be more "white" than an F.

And, my personal preference tend to lean towards stones that aren''t icey white. They give me a headache. Kinda like I can''t have any fluorecent lights in our house.

...just a different spin! For me, it wasn''t a money issue. It was a value issue. But, nothing wrong with placing "value" on great specs. To each his own.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 3:27:43 AM

Well that''s great, why not have it all & get a larger E colored stone & you''ll get one more compliment added, ''that''s the whitest, sprarkliest diamond I''ve ever seen & it''s so big!''
Rosy~ Why do you care so much about what others think? It seems as tho you''re in it for the compliments more than your own personal enjoyment.
33.gif
Of course, in some way we''re all in it for the compliments! Thats one part of the personal enjoyment! Please don''t kid yourself. Why put so much time, effort & money into something if you''re not going to get anything out of it? Or course you want people to notice it! Do you bother putting earrings, necklaces & bracelets on on a day that you know you''re not going to be leaving the house? Trust me if I felt uncomfortable in a big diamond I wouldn''t get one, no matter what anyone else thought. I happen to be able to afford big diamonds & value them over cars & clothes, so you can imagine what kind of putt putt I drive!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/12/2005 3
6.gif
6:25 AM

Date: 3/11/2005 3:27:43 AM

Rosy, Why do you care so much about what others think? It seems as tho you''re in it for the compliments more than your own personal enjoyment.
Of course, in some way we''re all in it for the compliments! Thats one part of the personal enjoyment!
Sure so. Anyway, it must be way easier to obtain compliments for something that shows at first sight than invisible qualities not aparent by visual inspection. How many times do you recite GIA and cut grades when your baubles get that unavoidable attention ?
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results