shape
carat
color
clarity

natural diamond center with simulant accents

bcbruno

Rough_Rock
I know we don't talk about simulants here, but has anyone every heard of a e-ring with colorless simulant accents and a natural diamond center stone? Any views on this? Looking at eight accents equivalent to 1ct TCW with a .6-.75ct natural center diamond.

The diamond I am looking at currently is .64ct, E color, VS1 clarity, very good cut, princess shape.
The simulants on the setting are also princess cut.

Thanks in advance

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have I heard of it? - not really, but I can imagine such a ring. I have nothing against it, and maybe you could get the diamond reset down the road for an anniversary - or witch out one simulant for each anniversary - how's that?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would much rather have a plain solitaire with a real diamond that a setting with simulants with a real diamond. Save the money for a diamond setting to buy later.

bcbruno

Rough_Rock
Hey guys thanks for your input. Right now I've kind of worked more towards a single solitaire. My budget is about $2000. I currently have an order in waiting for the .64ct diamond stated above and a single solitaire 18k white gold setting for about $2200 total, the diamond being $1773. This is my absolute max price but I like the e-ring a lot. What do you think?

bcbruno

Rough_Rock
That is a cool idea motownmama. It would be cool, I think, to such out a diamond every year or something. I think, though, I may just get the solitaire setting.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
2K is a generous budget!
If you tell us more about the ring you'd like to purchase, I'm sure we can help you.
Are you open to preowned rings?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Each re-set stone will probably cost $50-100 for the labor alone and could strain the integrity of the setting. It's a cute idea but maybe not practical.

50shadesofblack

Shiny_Rock
I told my boyfriend I'd much rather have the smallest diamond in the world, but real, over any simulant. I also have a strong preference for plain solitaires.

Unless you know for sure that your girlfriend wants that setting and doesn't mind the simulants, I'd keep it safe and roll with a solitaire. But, as I said, I'm biased. :twirl:

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
Make that gorgeous real diamond shine in a solitaire setting! Why distract away from the real deal with cheap bling? Solitaire's are amazing! :)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m largely with the above. I don’t have any great problem with simulants but if the objective is to bring the price down I would rethink it. With mountings the labor cost to build the piece are likely to be more than the cost of the stones anyway and this will be the same whether you use diamonds or something else. If the result is something that comes off ‘cheap’ or looks like a compromise then I think you’ve made a bad choice.

I’m going to assume we’re talking about an engagement ring here and I would add one more caveat. Most ER’s are worn quite a bit and CZ’s are most definitely not as durable as diamond. Over time they wear out and if she’s got an active sort of lifestyle or is less than extremely careful with it this can happen fairly quickly.

bcbruno

Rough_Rock
This is the diamond I am getting:

http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cu...-very-good-cut-e-color-vs1-clarity_LD02342491

This is the setting I'm getting: (in 18k white gold)

http://www.bluenile.com/solitaire-engagement-ring-white-gold_19788

The order is all set-up and just waiting for my go ahead. I'm pretty certain this is what I want. I have the same sort of views on e-rings as you guys seem to have. My girlfriend is very simple. She wants whatever I can afford to give her no matter what it is. At least, that is what she says. She loves solitaires, and likes side stones some too. I'm more into the side stones I guess because it is more showy. I found the setting that I liked on diamond nexus, and then found all the bad talk about the company. I decided then to try to find a diamond to put in the ring, but began to wonder how diamonds would look with simulants. If I could have found the setting on another website, I may have been able to go with that one, but diamond nexus is the only site I can find the setting, and I can't afford much more. This brings me to where I'm at now. I'm going with a decent diamond, and in a solitaire setting. I figure this set-up is one which the diamond will be able to speak for itself.

In case you are wondering, here is the diamond nexus ring:

http://www.diamondnexus.com/cinderella-staircase.html

What do you guys think about my solitaire/diamond choice listed above?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That solitaire setting is what I happily wore for 30 years before getting a new ring for an anniversary! So it is just fine!!! I always loved to get the extra bling from a diamond wedding band. So that is my suggestion, go with the plain solitaire e-ring and then get her a diamond wedding band! Many of us here have that combination and love it!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1323272124|3076085 said:
That solitaire setting is what I happily wore for 30 years before getting a new ring for an anniversary! So it is just fine!!! I always loved to get the extra bling from a diamond wedding band. So that is my suggestion, go with the plain solitaire e-ring and then get her a diamond wedding band! Many of us here have that combination and love it!

I totally agree. I think you made a good choice going with a solitaire and not mixing czs with a real diamond in her ring. If you can get a diamond wedding band, I think that would look amazing. If money is tight, it would be a great anniversary gift to add bling to her finger and give her soliatire a different look.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a diamond expert, but, from what I've learned on this board, I'd skip a diamond with a very thin girdle.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesilk|1323274931|3076131 said:
I'm not a diamond expert, but, from what I've learned on this board, I'd skip a diamond with a very thin girdle.

Ditto...very thin on a princess can be an issue especially if its near a corner where there is going to be pressure from a prong.
Is there a reason you are going with Blue Nile. For princess cuts its much easier to pick a nice one when you can see images
of the stone. You are also paying for a very high color. You could drop down to a G color and either get a larger stone
(my preference since you are going with a solitare) or save some more money.

Here is an H-vs2 that looks nice...$1680.

Setting $430
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-rings/

Edit - you might take a look at this set at Jewels by Erica Grace. 3rd picture down for $2250.
http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/modern_and_estate_jewelry

bcbruno

Rough_Rock
Well I only read some about girdle. This one has very thin to very thick so I was thinking I would be safe. I had looked at James Allen to look at diamonds that are similar to what was on bluenile. I was finding bluenile to be relatively cheaper so I went with that one. i did look at James Allen though.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
it depends on how much of the girdle is very thin...perhaps ask Blue Nile?

anyway I am so glad you went with the solitaire setting...in my opinion it is much nicer than the other one. you can't go wrong with a classic solitaire, especially since you said your GF likes that look!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, with girdles, you only want thin, medium, or slightly thick. You want to avoid very thin or thick. I would eliminate ones that are too thin or thick.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results