shape
carat
color
clarity

natural colored diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 4:23:38 PM
Author: DiaGem
Date: 1/10/2008 4:19:08 PM

Author: kroshka

Date: 1/10/2008 4:03:49 PM

Anyone dare put a value???
27.gif

How about a Dresdillion dollars?
Forget about the Dollar...
41.gif
14.gif

Euro''s is the new monetary Gem...
31.gif

Ok ok, you got me there....
26.gif

Oh I had forgotten earlier to point out Blue Nile (some may not know yet that they are marketing Fancy Colored Diamonds), but that is also a resource to go look at for prices.

Although it is still not apples to apples at all but at least a reference point to start with, currently there is a stone on there that is listed there for $48,698 for a 0.77-Carat Fancy Intense Yellowish Green radiant cut. And of course it''s lovely that they don''t have photos of the actual diamond and if you call to ask questions they won''t have much additional info. (Been there and done that and seen some actual ones in person and was disappointed with the particular ones I got to see
20.gif
).

diamond. md

Rough_Rock
It just arrived and I will definietely take pics of it and post it too.

diamond. md

Rough_Rock
Hi Kroshka,
I have the green diamond. It is my first time to see an natural fancy intense yellowish green. It is definetely green but it is a touch lighter than the pic I posted here. He is selling to me for 12800 with the GIA cert. I believe this may be I1or I2. I f you go to Blue NIle , they have a vivid green which is almost the color of the diamond i have. what''s your thought?

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Well I''m a little late to the conversation to help, as you have already bought diamond, but I''m glad you can now see how pictures and reality can be very different. This is especially true for colored diamonds. Kroshka, DiaGem and CptAubry gave you excellent advice, as usual. Never make assumptions about a diamond sight unseen. I will be very interested to see your pictures, and how they compare to the one posted. I hope you realize now though that the vivid on blue nile that you compare it to would actually look nothing like yours. You keep asking about the dollars and value, but that is really up to you. If you love the diamond, it is worth it, if it is just okay, then that is a lot of money for just okay. Clarity really is secondary to the color for your diamond, but it is not unimportant, it does affect it''s value. I am guessing it is really an I2, and that will make it a difficult to move if you decide to sell the diamond. You should be buying this with the idea you are going to keep it for the long term. All that being said, congratulations on your new stone, and I hope it brings you much happiness every time you look at it, and think about the long and near impossible journey it took to end up in your hands. Also, if you are going to collect color seriously, and continue to buy expensive stones. It is imperative that you buy and read Stephen Hofers book, "Collecting and Classifying Coloured diamonds", and GIA''s Gems and Gemology In Review "Colored Diamonds" It is an excellent collection of all (or at least most) of GIA''s articles on colored diamonds. You may even consider Harvey Harris''s "Colored Diamonds", a beautiful and excellent book. Congrats again.

D

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi diamond, md,

Congrats on receiving it. Does the seller have a good return policy? In regards to the price, I can only comment on what I feel personally and hope I do not get chastised here for making comments.

I also suspect that the diamond is an I2. However, do you love the color despite the clarity and does the clarity bother you? Are the inclusions glaring to you that it takes away from the beauty of the stone? My thought is that the inclusions are visible to the naked eye even without trying hard. Of course the first thing one would notice is the color
26.gif
. Does the stone sparkle to you and how does it look in different lights (i.e. diffused sunlight, direct sunlight, fluorescent lights, etc.)? Here is where I hope no one hangs me for saying something about the price. Please also realize that I''m only speaking from a consumer point of view and that you should do what you feel is right for yourself cause after all it is your money, and $13k is not chump change by any means. I think that if you are happy with the color despite the clarity, etc. then the price isn''t out of line for such a stone with what GIA says the stone is on paper and from the one photo posted. That being said, the beauty of this stone can only be judged by you. Is it worth it to you for that price? I wouldn''t look at this stone as an "investment" because as dkodner mentioned, it might be harder to resell later because of the clarity, etc. To be honest, I don''t know that I would ever say any stone is an investment so to speak because it all depends on if there would ever be a buyer for it later on (and this is something you can''t really predict in my opinion). Also, color is a bit subjective to different people. I purchased a stone a few years ago that was a GIA I1 that was fancy intense yellow green. However the location of the inclusion bothered me once I saw the stone in person (I think that to some it would not be obvious but it was to me), and although the sparkle factor and the color was fantastic, I decided to return it because the inclusion bothered me, and the color wasn''t quite what I was expecting (although like I said it was very saturated and fantastic in itself), it''s just that I wanted something "more" green and I wasn''t willing to part with my money for a stone that I didn''t fall in love with. Do I have stones that I''m not completely in love with? Yes a couple (buyers remorse and an expensive learning curve).

It would be helpful if you could upload some pictures to try to illustrate the color difference from the original one posted. Also, if you have photos of the other stones in your collection (oranges, pinks, any color!) - please share
18.gif

diamond. md

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your thoughts. The inclusions are really not nakedly visible,however, it doesn''t have the sparkle and the green color that I have been looking for. The return policy is pretty good so I think I will send it back unless I change my mind this weekend. I don''t know how to take pictures of this jewelry. I tried it last night with my digital camera but it comes out blurred. Do I have to have a special camera?

diamond. md

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply and advice. it is appreciated. I ordered already the books that you have recommended but still waiting for them to be delivered. LIke I said to Kroshka. I am not impressed with this green that I got but I maybe I am expecting too much from an intense green. I guess I need to see more colored diamonds in person so I can have a good comparison and experience. But one thing, I am am really serious in collecting them so all the advice I get from here are highly appreciated.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2008 12:32:57 PM
Author: diamond, md
Thanks so much for your thoughts. The inclusions are really not nakedly visible,however, it doesn''t have the sparkle and the green color that I have been looking for. The return policy is pretty good so I think I will send it back unless I change my mind this weekend. I don''t know how to take pictures of this jewelry. I tried it last night with my digital camera but it comes out blurred. Do I have to have a special camera?
Date: 1/12/2008 12:32:57 PM

You don''t need a special camera unless your camera is super super basic and doesn''t allow you to choose any settings. Does your camera have a macro mode? If so that usually helps quite a bit and then you also need to have good lighting (diffused sunlight near a window would work nicely). Even a blurry pic if it showed the color would be nice to see.

Don''t feel discouraged that it wasn''t what you wanted in terms of color - I''ve been there several times. Colored diamonds are a different animal than white ones. Some collectors wait years to get a particular color because the ones available aren''t what they are looking for. And lets face it, it''s not like there are hundreds and hundreds to choose from at any given time.

When you get the books, post about how you like them. I feel they are definitely worth the money if not for just the information, but for the collection of pictures. You''ll be really amazed. And if you are really into blues and pinks, I believe GIA''s Gems and Gemology might still have old copies available for sale for those particular issues that focused on them.

diamond. md

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kroshka. You are very encouraging. This is all new to me and I getting fascinated with them. I am trying to study everything about them as much as I can on whatever is available in the internet right now until I get all the books that I have ordered. I believe my camera has the macro mode and I will try to get pics of my very few collections.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
You guys say several times how important it is to see the color in person, but are quick to say it's "really an I2". I have to disagree...to paraphrase Marty Haske, if G*d says it's I1 then I1 it is
2.gif

I agree 100% with what kroshka says about learning curve and some purchases made I probably wouldn't make now. But it works both ways...I've missed some things I regret now as well.

Good luck with the decision!

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi elmo,

diamond, md specified in one of the posts that the GIA report did not have the clarity listed. I assume the seller told diamond, md it was an I1, or diamond md already had an idea that the stone was at least an I1 from the photo. Upon looking at the photo multiple times, I suspect that the stone is really an I2 (but that''s just my opinion from seeing the one photo).

kroshka

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, didn''t see that that was the seller''s call not GIA, apologies.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2008 3:38:14 PM
Author: elmo
Ah, didn''t see that that was the seller''s call not GIA, apologies.
And do you realy see GIA as G_______?
41.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2008 3:51:07 PM
41.gif
Well let''s see...they write the reports, set the grading standards, grade the reference stones, sell the gem instruments, train the gemologists, conduct the research, ...
3.gif
. Not a bad market position to be in.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/13/2008 8:27:29 PM
Author: elmo

Date: 1/13/2008 3:51:07 PM
41.gif
Well let''s see...they write the reports, set the grading standards, grade the reference stones, sell the gem instruments, train the gemologists, conduct the research, ...
3.gif
. Not a bad market position to be in.
Exactly...., and dont you forget its a market out there..., not the bible....
2.gif

Although a lot of people think Rapaport is G-d...., and his price-list is the ''bible''...
31.gif

But you must know my answer to that one...
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results