shape
carat
color
clarity

Natural at Girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Gary Roskins book there is a photo stating the a natural has made the girdle edge thin. It then says GIA measures the girdle a various points along the girdle due to possible danger as Thin, Very Thin, Extremely Thin.

Now lots of diamonds which are ideal cuts are Thin on the Girdle measurement so what is the danger here? Is it different if the girdle goes from medium to Thin where a natural is as compared to being a girdle which is graded as Thin all the way around?

I know I have read about Very Thin and Extremely Thin but this book is saying that GIA sees possible danger in thin or is it not?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the actual text, (I know the photos are copyright because I remember one of the dealers stating he had permission to post 5 pictures on the net a time ago).

On page 45 if anyone has the book and can see the picture, is this girdle a potential danger?

QUOTE:

"NATURAL

A large natural leaves the girdle edge thin. Because of potential danger, the laboratory will measure Thin, Very Thin and Extremely Thin at any point along the girdle. The natural would only affect the clarity if the diamond were Flawless."

Oh it says the Laboratory, not GIA although other pictures are GIA graded diamonds, this one it does not state beside the picture.

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
This is something I am nervous about right now. I have a girdle that is very thin to slightly thick that has an indented natural on it.
I am thinking of returning it for another diamond. My jeweler is happy to do that for me. I just think my diamond is so beautiful though. Still can''t decide what to do.
8.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
karenleah15

This picture is NOT of an indented natural but a natural. There are other pictures in the same book for ''indented'' natural.

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
33.gif
I don''t have the book and haven''t seen the picture. I am just worried about my beautiful rock. I hate to trade it for another one. Just don''t know what to do.
33.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Karen have you tried a search under this forum for "indented natural". I had never heard of this until you brought it up in your topic, but there has been some previous discussion on it. I hate to see you trade off your new diamond as it sounds beautiful. Are we ever going to see pictures???

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2005 10:16:41 AM
Author:Pyramid
In Gary Roskins book there is a photo stating the a natural has made the girdle edge thin. It then says GIA measures the girdle a various points along the girdle due to possible danger as Thin, Very Thin, Extremely Thin.

Now lots of diamonds which are ideal cuts are Thin on the Girdle measurement so what is the danger here? Is it different if the girdle goes from medium to Thin where a natural is as compared to being a girdle which is graded as Thin all the way around?

I know I have read about Very Thin and Extremely Thin but this book is saying that GIA sees possible danger in thin or is it not?

This is the actual text, (I know the photos are copyright because I remember one of the dealers stating he had permission to post 5 pictures on the net a time ago).

On page 45 if anyone has the book and can see the picture, is this girdle a potential danger?

QUOTE:

"NATURAL

A large natural leaves the girdle edge thin. Because of potential danger, the laboratory will measure Thin, Very Thin and Extremely Thin at any point along the girdle. The natural would only affect the clarity if the diamond were Flawless."

Oh it says the Laboratory, not GIA although other pictures are GIA graded diamonds, this one it does not state beside the picture.

Anyone know why the lab would grade Thin as a possible danger for Girdle? Or has grading in Labs changed since this book was written!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes with a girdle natural, indented or not, it may be very small and can easily be avoided during setting...beyond that point in time that''s what insurance is for...it may never be a problem, but needs an expert opinion if you are worried/unsure.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Diamondexpert.

I was really just wondering why the Gary Roskin book was citing the girdle edge being thin as well as very and extremely thin as a potential danger.

I had read before about very thin and extremely thin but know that many girdles and on ideal cut diamonds are thin so why would they see it as a potential danger? That is the actual text from the book which I typed out.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am wondering if they were just writing this in relation to the girdle as the photo showed a medium girdle so the Lab would note Thin in relation to that anyway. I know that Very Thin or Extremely Thinis noted incase of possible danger and to show the variation.
It is just the way it said possible danger in front of the Thin part of the description.
33.gif

Have the Labs changed their grading to see Thin as okay now instead of a potential danger?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results