shape
carat
color
clarity

Name for this type of setting?

notmyhalo

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker, but first time poster here. I'm hoping all the experts here can shed some light on terminology. Is there a name for this type of setting? I mean specifically the part where the diamond is fixed - it looks like it's in prongs, but the prongs grow out of the shoulders, not attach to the band (shank?) below. Is this technically a tension setting?
verragio-afn-5031_0.jpg
All the pomp of the verragio is way too much for me, but I love the look of the diamond just floating there. We're thinking of going the custom route for my ring and asking to incorporate this element into something simpler, without all the pave or filigree. How can I phrase my request so that it's clear? Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure if there is a name for it, hopefully someone chimes in if there is. But if. I wanted to describe this Toca jeweler I would probably say I want a split shank where the split extends up creating the prongs with no basket

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're interested in more sleek, less busy designs also consider a semi bezel. Those will showcase the diamond by having an open side area, but no split shank, just metal. Sholdt does this very well

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
I don't know what it's called either, but that is one good-looking ring. I really like the unique design. I finally know why I've been having such a hard time choosing a ring. I really want something that is unique and that I haven't seen a thousand times before.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
I'm no expert, but isnt it called an open gallery or open head? And maybe add to that descriptor, no under bezel?

notmyhalo

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Shame this doesn't seem to be a popular style, it would be nice to be able to search for similar designs and not worry about going custom.

MarlonN - you and me both :)

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I dont believe there is a specific term for this type of design but perhaps, specifying a 'cathedral' profile can help with your search.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
notmyhalo|1478447144|4094503 said:
Long time lurker, but first time poster here. I'm hoping all the experts here can shed some light on terminology. Is there a name for this type of setting? I mean specifically the part where the diamond is fixed - it looks like it's in prongs, but the prongs grow out of the shoulders, not attach to the band (shank?) below. Is this technically a tension setting?
verragio-afn-5031_0.jpg
All the pomp of the verragio is way too much for me, but I love the look of the diamond just floating there. We're thinking of going the custom route for my ring and asking to incorporate this element into something simpler, without all the pave or filigree. How can I phrase my request so that it's clear? Thanks!

Um... first words that come to my mind are "asking for trouble" and "desperately unsafe".

But tomato, tomatoe

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1479019288|4097742 said:
verragio-afn-5031_0.jpg

Um... first words that come to my mind are "asking for trouble" and "desperately unsafe".

But tomato, tomatoe

I agree with Gypsy. If going for tension setting there are only 3 I believe who do it properly with tempered metal and the mix is a secret. Kretchmer is one but can't remember the other two manufacturers, think one of them is in Germany.

Here is one of the sites:

http://www.stevenkretchmer.com/

Even then, this would not be for me.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still say a sholdt semi bezel would accomplish the same "see the profile of the diamond" thing while being a safer bet.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
verragio-afn-5031_0.jpg

But tomato, tomatoe

I must respectfully disagree with Gypsy. The prongs are heavy solid prongs and not the lighter prongs that would be used in a head with an undergallery. True, if worn while playing tennis, gold or weight lifting, there is danger that the prongs can be forced apart enough to loosen the center stone. Of course, I am constantly warning my clients against wearing ANY ring while playing tennis, golf or weight lifting. That is a sure fire way to damage the ring and to lose stones, usually the minor stones rather than the center stone. Especially in a ring like the one shown with a bazillion tiny stones all looking for an excuse to liberate themselves.

Over the years we have delivered many rings with diamonds and other gems suspended above the ring with heavy solid prongs. Only once do I remember a client having lost the center stone, and that ring had been so badly smooshed as to be a sideways egg shaped oval when looking through the finger hole. (And yes, she never took it off, even when playing tennis, golf and during her heaviest weight lifting sessions. She actually lost it though, while helping carry furniture into a moving van. They were lucky enough to find it when they unloaded the van when they arrived at their new home.)

Wink

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
I have seen more cheaply made rings that are similar to this. I do not know the name of the setting but it is absolutely beautiful in my opinion. However, no matter how sturdy the ring is made, I would be so afraid I would lose the stone if I wore it out anywhere. I definitely could not wear it on a daily basis because I would be afraid I would damage it.

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
verragio-afn-5031_0.jpg

But tomato, tomatoe

Agreed, the open gallery or lack of donut support would terrify me the first time (and likely only time) you accidentally knock the ring on something/anything. While beautiful, this style is likely to require regular visits to your favorite bench for maintenance. And possibly loss of or damage to the center diamond.

As I look at the pic closer, there may be an under-donut. I can't tell for sure. I'd investigate it at a verragio dealer. Ask to see this style to see if there is underside support, i.e. under the girdle. If there is support it may be less worrisome. However, in my experience, the more intricate the setting, the more maintenance.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1479072823|4097911 said:
verragio-afn-5031_0.jpg

But tomato, tomatoe

I must respectfully disagree with Gypsy. The prongs are heavy solid prongs and not the lighter prongs that would be used in a head with an undergallery. True, if worn while playing tennis, gold or weight lifting, there is danger that the prongs can be forced apart enough to loosen the center stone. Of course, I am constantly warning my clients against wearing ANY ring while playing tennis, golf or weight lifting. That is a sure fire way to damage the ring and to lose stones, usually the minor stones rather than the center stone. Especially in a ring like the one shown with a bazillion tiny stones all looking for an excuse to liberate themselves.

Over the years we have delivered many rings with diamonds and other gems suspended above the ring with heavy solid prongs. Only once do I remember a client having lost the center stone, and that ring had been so badly smooshed as to be a sideways egg shaped oval when looking through the finger hole. (And yes, she never took it off, even when playing tennis, golf and during her heaviest weight lifting sessions. She actually lost it though, while helping carry furniture into a moving van. They were lucky enough to find it when they unloaded the van when they arrived at their new home.)

Wink

Wow, thank you for writing this Wink. I believe they are now okay, because I know Wink knows from experience and knowledge what he is talking about.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
verragio-afn-5031_0.jpg

The shape of the shank is a cathedral, because of the graceful swoop up to the center stone. The actual mount is prong set with integrated prongs, bridge-less style. The original settings like this (going back about 30 years) had the two prongs on either flat side with a metal bridge of diamonds or other gems going underneath it. It's pretty, and very easy to clean under the pavilion of a diamond set in this fashion.

Hope that helps! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results