shape
carat
color
clarity

My turn to ask for ASET help

bklynbrn

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an emerald cut diamond to put in a setting I already own. The setting currently holds a .81 round, which I would probably use for a pendant.

I just received these ASET images and would appreciate your input. You are all so knowledgeable and I know you will be able to help me make a decision.

Thanks!

280570:
color: E
VVS1
depth %: 68.5
table %: 56
polish: very good
symmetry: very good
fluorescence: none
L/W/D: 5.90*4.09*2.8
L/W ratio: 1.44
girdle: very thick
culet: none
gemologist comment: very bright. has great light performance. beautifully eye clean and icy white in color. the chip is not a concern; it is extremely tiny and even under magnification it was difficult to see.

213902:
color: E
VVS1
depth %: 64.5
table %: 65
polish: excellent
symmetry: excellent
fluorescence: none
L/W/D: 5.49*4.16*2.68
L/W ratio: 1.32
girdle: medium-slight thick
culet: none
gemologist comment: also bright and offers nice light performance. isn't far behind 280570. little more square in shape.

213902aset.jpg

_16987.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you verified with your jeweler that they can make these fit in the setting? I know they are not as wide as a .81 ct diamond. I can't tell too much from those ASET images. It looks like the stones were tilted when they took the pics.

bklynbrn

Rough_Rock
Hi diamondseeker2006. I know I will have to replace the head. Is there something else I need to check for? I received these images from James Allen. Should I ask them to re-do them? Thanks.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
ASETs are tilted. Have them redo.

bklynbrn

Rough_Rock
Just received updated ASET images. These are on hold for just a few more hours. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

213902aset_4.jpg

280570aset_4.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI bklynbrn,
I have no comment on the stones, but a general one:
Do you realize that what you're asking is a taste based question?
You could put up a poll on which is better, Chocolate or Vanilla, and the results will be as relevant.

Personally I find that actual photos are far easier for consumers to understand and use for selection.

Best of luck!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1397840109|3655562 said:
HI bklynbrn,
You could put up a poll on which is better, Chocolate or Vanilla, and the results will be as relevant.

Personally I find that actual photos are far easier for consumers to understand and use for selection.

Best of luck!
I disagree sort of.
While aset isn't a help selecting between 2 diamonds with good light return it does allow you to eliminate stones with poor light return.
In this case they are not a great help selecting between them because both look good.
So in this case I can kinda see your point but that does not make it always so.

The regular pics are of the stone available have it sitting on the p2 facets and at an angle which can interact with the light return potential of the diamond and does not show how it will look face up.
Hence the ASET face up view is important.

bklynbrn

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Rockdiamond and Karl_K. I know it all comes down to a matter of taste , but I wanted to make sure there were no obvious issues in the images. Now ... how do I decide? I've had both diamond images open on my monitor, watching them spin around and around. The truth is, I probably wouldn't be able to tell one from the other in person. :lol: So why is it so hard to choose? :confused:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1397844818|3655593 said:
Rockdiamond|1397840109|3655562 said:
HI bklynbrn,

Best of luck!
I disagree sort of.
While aset isn't a help selecting between 2 diamonds with good light return it does allow you to eliminate stones with poor light return.
In this case they are not a great help selecting between them because both look good.
So in this case I can kinda see your point but that does not make it always so.

The regular pics are of the stone available have it sitting on the p2 facets and at an angle which can interact with the light return potential of the diamond and does not show how it will look face up.
Hence the ASET face up view is important.

Good point Karl- I agree that for someone who has analyzed a lot of ASET images with real life diamonds will be able to get value from the additional info.

And I think we do agree that in a lot of cases there are stones being compared where both might have good light performance- but different light performance.
This is especially possible with Emerald Cuts - there's a large part of selecting an emerald cut that is taste based.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
bklynbrn|1397848252|3655614 said:
Thank you, Rockdiamond and Karl_K. I know it all comes down to a matter of taste , but I wanted to make sure there were no obvious issues in the images. Now ... how do I decide? I've had both diamond images open on my monitor, watching them spin around and around. The truth is, I probably wouldn't be able to tell one from the other in person. :lol: So why is it so hard to choose? :confused:

You're welcome!
I urge you to go out and look at a few stones in person.
There are differences that are obvious- such as overall shape and corner size- as well as subtle differences in facet placement that cause different size "steps" for example.
Once you have been able to get a feel for the flavor, you may have an easier time deciding.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
so both have great ASETs. Can you post the Link to the videos? I think we need that at this point.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rockdiamond|1397851431|3655647 said:
And I think we do agree that in a lot of cases there are stones being compared where both might have good light performance- but different light performance.
This is especially possible with Emerald Cuts - there's a large part of selecting an emerald cut that is taste based.
I agree.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
bklynbrn|1397848252|3655614 said:
Actually these would look different in person and you could see the difference but I cant tell you which you would like more.
I would guess the both would be bright but the one with more and smaller red stripes would have more flashes and the other larger bolder flashes overall.
That can be modified by where in the red zone the facets are drawing light somewhat so its not an exact prediction based on ASET images.
Choosing between 2 good ones is a lot harder than rejecting bad ones when shopping online when you cant get side by side video.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results