shape
carat
color
clarity

My jeweler laughed at my trillions

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a few local jewelers that I frequent and they are never at odds with each other. In fact, they usually compliment each other's pieces. So, I was very shocked when jeweler number 2 commented on my new setting. Here is the setting:
image_2351.jpg

As he giggled, his exact words were:" Trillions? I haven't seen trillions since the late 80's! "
Me: "Really? I really like them."
Him: "OK. But they really are kind of too big for your center stone."

So, I know that people vary, and that IS NOT the objective of my post.Being a good PSer, I knew from the get-go that the trillions were too big to just be side stones, but something about looking down on my finger to all that bling really made me swoon. I don't even miss looking at my center stone, I actually like the overall impact. But I have noticed that in this setting, I have been asked 3 times by different sales people if my ring is FAKE! I had never been asked this question before in my previous settings.I realize that my previous setting was more subtle and perhaps that is why I was never asked if it was fake. I'm talking about sales people at TJ Maxx, Ross, etc., so granted, these are not jewelry experts. This question puts my hubby and I in a bad mood.

So I guess that I am second-guessing myself about this setting, as I am still within my return period. My 16 year old daughter loves it and votes that I should keep it. I know it's easy to just tell myself that people vary and I'm just different so I should keep it, but after I bought my setting, I did realize that it is rare to see trillions with rounds and wondered if there is an aesthetic reason for that :confused: :confused: :confused:

I welcome your opinions.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never change a ring I loved because salespeople thought it was fake. How does your ring even get brought up? Don't get me wrong it's big and beautiful, but I love wearing big (cocktail, not diamond) rings and no one has ever asked. That is pretty rude!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1413306051|3766945 said:
I would never change a ring I loved because salespeople thought it was fake. How does your ring even get brought up? Don't get me wrong it's big and beautiful, but I love wearing big (cocktail, not diamond) rings and no one has ever asked. That is pretty rude!

No, I am not contemplating the change because of the fake comments. It's the other issues that are nagging at--such as why there aren't many trillions with rounds out there--is it because they don't look good? Also, I read in Leon Mege's site that trillions are the worst of the worst of side stones.

As to your question, here is the context: I like to browse at watches at the jewelry counters at TJ Maxx or Ross, and as I try them on, I usually get : Is your ring real?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Forgive the minimum wage sales associates as they rarely get see fine jewelry with that much beautiful bling. The jeweler sounds jealous that HE didn't get to sell you the gorgeous trillions!

Enjoy your ring. I think it's perfect and looks lovely on your finger.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE your setting. I think the trillions with the center round is a very classic look. I really like it with your knife edge band there too.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
all that matters is that you love it. It is a beautiful, VERY sparkly, ring. There is no doubt about you being taken ;-)

For ME, I like solitaires because I want to see my center stone. But that doesn't mean what you or someone else select is wrong. It's just personal taste.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why it is uncommon? Personal taste. Just as there are a handful who love D IF, there are a handful who love trilliants with rounds. :))

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think unconventional choices just throw people off. They have some need to understand why you chose something out of the realm of their experience - and sadly it all comes out audibly and inarticulately sometimes.
Occasionally I see something from the 70s or 80s and I laugh in a fond way. Like seeing some David Webb bracelets reminds me of my mom & her friends...and while it's not my style, I love those bracelets!

I'm just saying enjoy your ring.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, don't let a few comments keep you from loving and enjoying your ring - I think some people are just not used to seeing large diamonds. I honestly don't think they intended to be insulting, they were probably just surprised to see such a big and blingy ring and expressed themselves poorly. And as for the jeweler - he's just offering his opinion - there's no right or wrong here, it's just personal preference. All that matters is that you love it - the only person you should worry about pleasing is yourself! It's a beautiful ring and looks great on you, just enjoy it!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is unfortunate that you are experiencing this. Your ring is beautiful and unique. If you love it, then enjoy it!

Sadly, there will always be people out there willing to offer negative unsolicited opinions. These people have never learned that if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything. Don't let them steal your joy.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's too bad your jeweler planted this seed of doubt in you. I think it showed poor form on his/her part. I think you need to ask yourself a few questions here.
How do you honestly feel about your ring? (Before unflatering comments were made). Do you love it?
Is it about public opinion for you or conformity to what others think?
Remember, these jewelers are viying for your business. Don't let others make you doubt yourself or push your insecuity buttons. :wavey:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1413312834|3766999 said:
It's too bad your jeweler planted this seed of doubt in you. I think it showed poor form on his/her part. I think you need to ask yourself a few questions here.
How do you honestly feel about your ring? (Before unflatering comments were made). Do you love it?
Remember, these jewelers are viying for your business. Don't let others make you doubt yourself or push your insecuity buttons. :wavey:

Thanks to all for your replies. I want to address this question. When I chose this ring, I wanted to achieve more bling while staying traditional. I have always loved pears and baguettes and trillions as side stones. This was my other choice but I opted against it bc I love the idea of wearing different bands and this choice didn't seem to work with them. I guess that is why I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should switch to this setting.
image_2368.jpg

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others that it was really jerky of your jeweler to say those things!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think butthead is appropriate!

He could have certainly said "I don't see trillions very often" or "I havent seen trillions with a round center"...lots of things
he could have said that were fact and not judgmental.

Go back to your other jeweler and don't give this butthead any more of your money!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nala, your ring is gorgeous and you and your dh love it. It makes you happy. Your jeweler is a butthead!

And those salespeople who asked if your ring is fake are jealous of your gorgeous ring. I swear I don't understand people sometimes. It's huge and they are not used to seeing huge diamonds that are real. But for heaven's sake why ask someone they don't even know if their ring is fake? Anyway, it's a compliment because they were so wowed by it they thought it couldn't possibly be real.

Enjoy your gorgeous ring! :appl:

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I love your ring with the trillions!!! My friend has a ring that looks very similar to yours, and she has great taste!!!!
Enjoy your ring, ignore the masses...... :appl: :appl: :appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Nala, first let me say, I LOVE YOUR RING... :)

When I first saw your ring (before this posting) I thought it was awesome and the reason why is because of how the trillions and center diamond fit to make a wall of diamond.. again I love your ring.. I think it's very very beautiful.. I think jeweler #2 may like the big center and smaller complementary side stones.. I like the big center and the equal sized (aprox) side trillions, it's a complementary style I have always liked. Perhaps #2 is stuck in the traditional smaller sides??.. your ring says something quite elegant. I do not like when one vendor of any kind puts down another... plus it was rude to say this to you..

:love: :love: :dance:

nala|1413305181|3766938 said:
I have a few local jewelers that I frequent and they are never at odds with each other. In fact, they usually compliment each other's pieces. So, I was very shocked when jeweler number 2 commented on my new setting.

I welcome your opinions.

fritzi

Rough_Rock
I love your ring! I love that they almost blend in to look like one huge diamond. I would never think 80's at all and in fact I chose a cushion with trillion side stones for my engagement ring in 2006. I think you should realize that jeweler was likely jealous of such a gorgeous piece and exhibited his jealousy in a very rude manner. Please enjoy your ring because it is beautiful.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally, I detest when people who don't like something use characterizations to put it down.
A lot of great things happened in the '80's anyway ( I actually still remember back that far:)
Plus, he's dead wrong. Trills are extremely popular these days.
I also think the proportions look quite nice- I love generous trills.

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
You simply must keep your ring- it is gorgeous. I love the trillions- what a classic look and vavoom!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nala|1413313557|3767002 said:
Bonfire|1413312834|3766999 said:

Thanks to all for your replies. I want to address this question. When I chose this ring, I wanted to achieve more bling while staying traditional. I have always loved pears and baguettes and trillions as side stones. This was my other choice but I opted against it bc I love the idea of wearing different bands and this choice didn't seem to work with them. I guess that is why I am second guessing myself and wondering if I should switch to this setting.
image_2368.jpg

I totally understand why you are torn nala, there are soooo many gorgeous settings out there. It's hard to settle on just one!
I also understand the "second guessing" part too. I wish you well with whatever you decide.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
There are lots of jewelry trends that come and go and while trillions may have been "trendy" in the 80's, it was more about the overall look. A current setting with trillions does not scream 80's to me unless the whole piece is reminiscent of the 80's. Your current ring does not seem outdated. Here's what I think of when I think of a trillion made popular in the 80's (not that there's anything wrong with the tanzanite trillion omega slide pendant, it's just that it was a popular style in the 80's):

624x20tanzanitex20slide.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think it looks good, and I love the largeness of the trillions. But I love in-your-face bling so, you know, ymmv.

I REALLY like the trillions WAY MORE than that other setting you posted.

Zoom

Rough_Rock
Truthfully, it isn't my style but I prefer a more simple setting. I adore your second choice - I think it's stunning! :love: Though I think that if you love your current setting then you should rock it =) Don't let anyone else's opinion change your own, because yours is what truly matters at the end of the day.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your ring is smashing :love: and I think that with such a gorgeous ring, it is actually safer for you if people think its fake! Lol...

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I think your ring is beautiful. I don't think it looks like an 80's style at all.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
not only do I also rock trilllion side stone with my EC solitaire but I also have an ering that is three trillions and I bought it in the 80s and still love it .

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yep, I'll agree with most everyone else. That jeweler was incredibly unprofessional for saying that. :naughty:
Variety is what makes life interesting! I'm so happy when someone finds their "fall in love" setting, even if I would never wear it. Now, that said, I LOVE your setting, and I love trillions and had no idea they were dated per se. I think your current setting is far more unique and cool than your second choice, although it is lovely too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results