shape
carat
color
clarity

my GOG custom cut AVC experience

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
This starts with a big thank you to all the pricescope people who helped me either directly by answering my questions or indirectly with all the great information on this site. I learned most of what I now know about diamonds from Pricescope and became a GOG "groupie" by finding Johnathan aka Rhino on this site and watching his videos.

My experience..I went to GOG in late August with my girlfriend to look at all the different cuts they offer. Immediately, i felt relaxed, unpressured and at ease. Their diamonds speak for themselves. They treat you like family and the fact that they are mostly all family members and close friends makes it feel that much more special.

I didn't have any heirlooms to give to my gf so I decided to make one!!

I decided to get a custom cut diamond..either an AVC or Octavia, both of which would be cut by Yoram aka DiaGem. Rhino and another family member Matt guided me through the entire process. It was exciting, nerve wracking and I think you will see that the results were awe inspiring. I decided in mid October to go with an AVC for lots of reasons.

My request:
2 carat weight
color I
clarity VS2
fluorescence was ok up to medium

Most understand that custom cutting comes with inherint risk in color, clarity, weight and even the diamond itself. I was given a range of color grades and clarity grades. I took a chance that Diagem knew diamonds and I had seen so much of his work on Pricescope that I felt comfortable with the risk I was taking. A week or two later Diagem sent me pictures of the rough he had in mind.
Here they are...next ill show you the result

roughgog-02.jpg

roughgog-01.jpg

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
The Result....

Late in November the diamond was finished...I could tell by the reaction by everyone at GOG that Diagem had outdone himself. I went to see the diamond in person and was blown away. We had no grading results yet but we all knew that what I asked for in all aspects of my request had been met and then some...
When I got the call from Matt at GOG with the AGS grading results I was speechless.

Results:
2.27 carats AVC
Measurements: 8.00mm long x 7.73mm wide x 5.17mm in depth
Cut & finish:
Proportions: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Large
Total depth: 66.9%
Table percentage: 46.0%
U.V. florescence: Medium Blue
Color: G
Clarity: VVS2

It was an unbelievable result. I have posted a few pictures below of the final diamond. Next I will talk about the setting and final result.

_dsc0577-x3.jpg

_dsc0579-x3.jpg

_dsc0584-x3.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh!!! G VVS2!!!!! What a terrific surprise! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

That is an incredibly gorgeous stone. I especially love the size of the culet on this one!

Sorry, just realized you haven't finished posting!

Lenapie

Rough_Rock
:appl: Oh boy! Those results! Amazing, amazing looking stone! Congratulations! Can't wait to see it set. :love:

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
That diamond deserved a one of a kind special setting..

I got to work with Lynda at GOG in designing the perfect custom Vatche setting in early December. We decided on pieces of a few of Vatche's designs and put them altogether. We went with milgraining and single cut melee on the shank with a cathedral setting using double eagle claw prongs. I felt good about how the setting would show off the diamond.

The only issue throughout the entire process came with waiting for the setting to be finished. By no fault of GOG, Vatche "took their time" getting the setting done. They missed a few built in deadlines, had to redo the ring once and replace a few melee stones. It brought the project right up to deadline day. To the credit of GOG, they did everything possible to make sure the project was finished correctly and in time for me to propose. They ran back and forth to NYC numerous times and sent the entire project to Hawaii overnight to make sure it was there in time. It made me realize how lucky I was to have found such a trustworthy jeweler who did what was necessary to get it done.

I know these results aren't always assured and that I may have been lucky in what I ended up with but I truly believe the expertise GOG, Rhino and Diagem possess helped it be more about skill and less about luck.

They have me as a customer for life...the final result can be seen in this HD video Rhino and Matt made for me.

https://youtu.be/g2w6tUiI6bU/

As a side note she was blown away, surprised and said yes to me on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Kauai!! I have no idea why the last picture is sideways

img_10733.jpg

queradas

Rough_Rock
PacMan12|1455210822|3989771 said:
I took a chance that Diagem knew diamonds and I had seen so much of his work on Pricescope that I felt comfortable with the risk I was taking. A week or two later Diagem sent me pictures of the rough he had in mind.

Beautiful diamond and ring congratulations on your proposal. I am curious about this chance. Do you pay an agreed upon price beforehand no matter how the diamond turns out or ???

dwj6211

Shiny_Rock
I friggen love them at GOG! They're incredible people. INCREDIBLE. this ring is beautiful.

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
Queradas,

Once the diamond rough is found there is a price you pay. It can only work in your favor.

So for example I paid for a 2 ct. I VS2 AVC. I got a 2.27 G VVS2 AVC and did not have to pay the increased value of the diamond's clarity and color. I only had to pay up to .09 carats bigger...thats it.

If I would have gotten something worse in color and/or clarity I would have only paid for that..so for example if i would have gotten a J SI1 I would have paid the going RAP price for that.

It is a nerve wracking yet fun experience

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
wow! How cool! The diamond is gorgeous!
congratulations on your engagement! Thank you for sharing your story.

queradas said:
PacMan12|1455210822|3989771 said:
I took a chance that Diagem knew diamonds and I had seen so much of his work on Pricescope that I felt comfortable with the risk I was taking. A week or two later Diagem sent me pictures of the rough he had in mind.

Beautiful diamond and ring congratulations on your proposal. I am curious about this chance. Do you pay an agreed upon price beforehand no matter how the diamond turns out or ???

re the pricing: not sure GOG wants to share this publicly on the forum. Maybe ask them directly if youre interested in having a stone cut?

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
Thank you
Diamondseeker2006...its an amazing stone..the video at least shows how it sparkles..i swear even in no light situations you can still see it catch any ambient light

Its amazzzzzzing

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
ACA,

all the information I have shared is publicly stated on their website...but i agree that specific numbers are not something I will share on this forum.

I more then anything wanted to share the story and the wonderful result

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PacMan12|1455216617|3989799 said:
ACA,

all the information I have shared is publicly stated on their website...but i agree that specific numbers are not something I will share on this forum.

I more then anything wanted to share the story and the wonderful result

and you are absolutely right in doing so!! :wavey:
I would love to see more pictures of this gorgeous creation!! Oh, if I could have a 2 ct avc too..! :appl: :love: :love:

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
ACA,

I will work on some more photos of the final product..i'm not sure I could do better then an HD video or photos from Rhino though. :dance:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, it's gorgeous and what a wonderful story!! Congratulations on your engagement too!!

Can we see more photos of the stone in it's setting, close ups, hand shots? :naughty: :bigsmile: :appl: :love:

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
Also,

I just realized that I prob should have posted this in the Show me the Bling forum but I wasn't sure if it had significance in RockyTalk because of the way it was created.

queradas

Rough_Rock
PacMan12|1455216330|3989795 said:
Queradas,

I got a 2.27 G VVS2 AVC and did not have to pay the increased value of the diamond's clarity and color. I only had to pay up to .09 carats bigger...thats it.

I am not following you here sorry please explain. It seems you pay one price no matter how it turns out unless it turns out worse? What is the bit about .09 carats?

If I would have gotten something worse in color and/or clarity I would have only paid for that..so for example if i would have gotten a J SI1 I would have paid the going RAP price for that.

The RAP price sheet for rounds? (I would assume if they would even mention RAP that they cut cushions and price them like rounds presumably that takes into account the price premium and yield of the brand?)

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
JDDN,

OK ask and you shall receive...these were taken right after the proposal so her hands were a bit swollen from the hike we were on

img_10735.jpg

img_10736.jpg

img_10737.jpg

img_10734.jpg

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
Queradas,

The only extra you pay is the cost of .09 above the carat weight you ask for. So for example I asked for a 2 carat and got a 2.27 carat but only paid for a 2.09 carat...so essentially I got .18 carats of value for free

As far as the RAP price..I do not know specifically if they used the round formula..those detailed questions I'm sure GOG can answer for you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
STUNNING!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Now weren't you scared to propose over the bluff and accidentally dropping that beautiful bauble? :naughty: :naughty: :naughty: Just teasing! Magnificent setting to propose in!!! And an heirloom piece to boot! I loved your whole post - thank you for letting us live vicariously through you and your awesome adventure to becoming engaged! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yeah, that's the good stuff!! :appl: It's absolutely stunning, what a spectacular setting for the perfect stone. You did amazing, I'm sure she's over the moon. All the time and planning that went into the stone and choosing the perfect setting is truly wonderful.

Hope you both loved Kauai...I got engaged there too, it's such a special place!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: That is spectacular!! :clap: Congratulations to you both! Thanks for sharing your experience.

PacMan12

Rough_Rock
PintoBean,

I was scared..I made sure it was a big flat area and even then I was shaking like a leaf :errrr:

JDDN,

Loved Kauai...a much better island imo then Oahu!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!! :appl: The ring is absolutely stunning! :love: Please post more photos!
What are the ring's specs (size, width, etc.)?

Would you mind sharing the ranges and percentage of each GOG/Yoram gave for the color and clarity?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations to both of you :appl: What a spectacular diamond :love:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful story, stunning ring - truly it is a new heirloom. :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cool journey! The ring is spectacular!! Thank you for sharing your story and pics with us!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is AMAZING! Holy stunner! I am so glad that Vatche got the setting right, and that everything stayed on track for you in Hawaii! It looks absolutely perfect on her hand. Thank you for sharing this journey with us!

GOG really is an amazing bunch of folks. They don't get anywhere near the props they deserve on here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results