shape
carat
color
clarity

my friend is trying to decide betwen 2 RB: a 7ct J Si2 and a 6ct G Si2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The 7ct J Si2 is priced at 85k before PS and wire discount. It has no fluor. AGS report with all "Excelent" (not "Ideals" which was a bit strange). The 7ct scores under 2 on the HCA

ttp://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/J-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1184466.asp

The 6ct Si2 is priced at 99k before discounts. Has medium blue flour. GIA report has G for symmetry and G for poslish.

The 6ct is not great but it's not a dog either (my own opinion). This was the stone that i'd had previously considered buying for recutting and was talked out it (good advice, Ps'ers). It doesn't have enough specs listed to run an HCA score but I do remember looking at the pics sent to me thatwhilst it wasn't top notch in the cut dept it wasn't a total write-off either.

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-6-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-si2-clarity_LD00977071?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

I can't remember what I'd been told abt '"eye-cleaness" of either stone. Let's just for academic purposes, assume they're both eye-clean.

Which would you go for? My friend is not too fussed about cut, as long as it's not *too* badly cut, as long as its not too yelow (whatever her definition of yellow is, I "think" I have an idea but am not sure), and not full of obvious black spots. What she cares abt the most is size, not so much cut, but I think if something is obviously yellow and has huge boogers then it might not be a contender.

I on the other hand am a real cut nut, also quite colour sensitive though not fussy so much abt an si2 grading as long as i don;t see any obvious boger (sp?).

She may need me to give her my own opinion first.

What do you gals and girls think?

Appreciate yr help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would really want to see the 6ct before making any judgement. What a decision to make huh?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hiya P,

I would go for the first one as it has all the info and is well cut, the second has an older pre cut grade report so no info, although it could be possible to get it. I would ask JA for Idealscope images for both diamonds, they should be able to provide that info in a day or two.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that you''ve added the second one I agree with Lorelei. As usual.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 11:20:31 AM
Author: neatfreak
Now that you''ve added the second one I agree with Lorelei. As usual.
1.gif
LOL! I will miss you Miss Neat in RT when the wee ones come along, I hope you will still have time to post!
35.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nearly $100,000 for a "not great but it''s not a dog either," described stone? No way. I''d go for the 7 ct, it''s bigger, cut better and is less money. But, that is just me. . .I''d probably even keep shopping around a bit more - however, I take it there are not many stones of that size to choose from?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
When spending that much on a stone, why would you not want the best cut you can get? Cut is the most important thing for sparkle and fire, so why spend that kind of budget on a lesser cut? I don''t get it.
33.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 11:38:06 AM
Author: Kelli
When spending that much on a stone, why would you not want the best cut you can get? Cut is the most important thing for sparkle and fire, so why spend that kind of budget on a lesser cut? I don''t get it.
33.gif

Cut isn''t everyone''s priority.

enigma1406

Rough_Rock
The 7ct is cut well but doesn''t look like it will be eye clean based on the image. As that''s not a major issue, I would go with that one. Looks pretty nice in other regards.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think the JA diamond would be the best choice. It probably won''t be super bright white in that size as a J, but the cut, the extra carat and the lower price all are pretty tempting. I suspect your friend sounds like a Size Girl; she will probably gravitate towards it anyway is my guess!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t want to upset anyone, but it would be a safer bet that neither diamond is really eye-clean by the definition we generally accept here.
The larger the diamond, the more window-like it becomes. What passes as SI2 in an eye-clean 1 carat stone might be readily seen in a 6 carat diamond. If both diamonds were side by side, the majority of people would notice the difference of color between a G and a J in this size category. Color differences when observable are hard to argue with. In smaller diamonds, all color is somewhat less apparent to our eyes.

When you want a "big" diamond, weight may be your most crucial factor. Once you have it on your finger, the looks of it will overcome the weight aspect. How it looks suddenly looms larger in importance. Don''t confuse the short term issues with the long term ones. The long term ones will always win out.

Get all the data and run the HCA on both. See what''s going on.

rossi46

Rough_Rock
When spending that much on a stone, why would you not want the best cut you can get? ...I don''t get it.
33.gif
Agreed! If I had $100k to spend, there''s no way I''d look at anything less than a G/VS2. Hell, I''d probably stick to F+/VVS2+ !

Who cares how big the stone is if it looks like crap - whether color or obvious inclusions?
40.gif

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i find it hard to proffer advice on questions like this. if i was spending $100,000 on a stone i would rather a fabuluos 3 or 4 carat than a mediocre 7 carat

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 3:10:08 PM
Author: rossi46

When spending that much on a stone, why would you not want the best cut you can get? ...I don''t get it.
33.gif
Agreed! If I had $100k to spend, there''s no way I''d look at anything less than a G/VS2. Hell, I''d probably stick to F+/VVS2+ !

Who cares how big the stone is if it looks like crap - whether color or obvious inclusions?
40.gif
I wouldn''t mind the color so much, but I''d want it to sparkle as much as possible, not just look big. But as neatfreak said, I guess cut isn''t everyone''s priority.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 3:31:38 PM

Date: 11/20/2008 3:10:08 PM
Author: rossi46

40.gif
I wouldn''t mind the color so much, but I''d want it to sparkle as much as possible, not just look big. But as neatfreak said, I guess cut isn''t everyone''s priority.
Maybe this gal hasn''t really had a chance to compare various degrees of good to well-cut stones? For a 6-7 ct stone and how much attention it would attract, I''d be embarrased to wear only a "good" diamond. When you go big like that, other people are going to be especially critical and why give them any reason to find fault with the stone?

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 3:15:49 PM
Author: bgray
i find it hard to proffer advice on questions like this. if i was spending $100,000 on a stone i would rather a fabuluos 3 or 4 carat than a mediocre 7 carat
..it had better come with snow tires, and be a smooth ride!! WOW..that''s the price of a VERY nice vehicle, or a small house!! lol. Best of luck with the decision!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love to have such an exciting budget to work with. I hope she finds something that she will love!! Please come back and tell us what she ends up with!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
If both were eye-clean (I have no clue how likely this is for a stone that size), I would buy the G and recut it in a heartbeat.

To be honest, I don''t think I would notice much of a size difference between 6 and 7 carats, but I would notice a huge difference between a G and J in those sizes. I think the warmth of a J is going to be very apparent and while warmth may not be a bad thing, per se, it just seems counter-intuitive to spend so much on a huge, tinted stone.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just wondering if a 6-7 ct stone would be heavy on the finger? Just curious, no other reason.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, for your replies and input.

This stone would be for my friend, who's a complete size wh***. She's already got some *smaller* stones of 2-3ct each of F VVS- VS quality. I've already advised her that she'd be better off going for something well cut and "smaller" (all relative here, he he), like a 4 carat of higher colour and clarity, like an F or G with VS1 or VS2. She thinks such a stone would be "far too small" (her own words
6.gif
3.gif
). She has these amazing 6+cttw studs of K colour and she would like an e-ring that's "worthy" of her studs. Incidentally, I couln't detect any hint of colour even on the side on these studs (and I thought *I* was particularly colour-sensitive). Also, interestingly enough, her studs are not well cut (table of 60-63%, but all that everyone, and most importanly *HER* that notices is how BIG these are). They're still plenty sparkly and and when you look at her, all you see is these HUGE monsters.

Btw, she's looked - with me - at some extremely well cut stones (both mine, well not so much mine, but also in the shops here in Singapore) of various sizes. The larger ones, those from 5ct upwards cost an absolute fortune. These 2 stones I've found for her, are within her budget (if that's the right word, LOL), and satisfy her most important requirement, ie. SIZE, without sacrificying too much on the other parameters.

I think the J coloured stone is very well cut and if it's eye-clean (which it may or may not be, I will ask the vendor) it mightn't be a bad idea for her. The G coloured stone I've been told is (if my memory serves me well, but my memory is not so good these days, LOL) eye-clean. For the cut of the G, of course one would need the rest of the infor to work out what its HCA score is.

I would need to work out how to get the stones over here in SG for us to look at first before she buys. But even before that, I'd have to rely on the vendor (particularly Jim at JA whom I respect and trust hugely) to tell me more about them.

Thanks again.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 5:06:38 PM
Author: Maisie
I would love to have such an exciting budget to work with. I hope she finds something that she will love!! Please come back and tell us what she ends up with!!
HI:

Ditto! P.S. Any chance she''d get the 7ct and have some excellent PS cutter give it a nip and tuck? Not make sense $$ wise??

cheers--Sharon

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 1:20:10 PM
Author: oldminer
I don''t want to upset anyone, but it would be a safer bet that neither diamond is really eye-clean by the definition we generally accept here.
The larger the diamond, the more window-like it becomes. What passes as SI2 in an eye-clean 1 carat stone might be readily seen in a 6 carat diamond. If both diamonds were side by side, the majority of people would notice the difference of color between a G and a J in this size category. Color differences when observable are hard to argue with. In smaller diamonds, all color is somewhat less apparent to our eyes.

When you want a ''big'' diamond, weight may be your most crucial factor. Once you have it on your finger, the looks of it will overcome the weight aspect. How it looks suddenly looms larger in importance. Don''t confuse the short term issues with the long term ones. The long term ones will always win out.

Get all the data and run the HCA on both. See what''s going on.
Thanks, Dave, I really appreciate your professional opinion.

I will let my friend know what you''ve said and we''ll bear in mind your great advice.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 8:16:47 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Date: 11/20/2008 5:06:38 PM
Author: Maisie
HI:

Ditto! P.S. Any chance she''d get the 7ct and have some excellent PS cutter give it a nip and tuck? Not make sense $$ wise??

cheers--Sharon
That''s what I''d do for sure!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/20/2008 8:00:10 PM
Author: Phoenix

This stone would be for my friend, who''s a complete size wh***. She''s already got some *smaller* stones of 2-3ct each of F VVS- VS quality. I''ve already advised her that she''d be better off going for something well cut and ''smaller'' (all relative here, he he), like a 4 carat of higher colour and clarity, like an F or G with VS1 or VS2. She thinks such a stone would be ''far too small'' (her own words
6.gif
3.gif
). She has these amazing 6+cttw studs of K colour and she would like an e-ring that''s ''worthy'' of her studs. Incidentally, I couln''t detect any hint of colour even on the side on these studs (and I thought *I* was particularly colour-sensitive). Also, interestingly enough, her studs are not well cut (table of 60-63%, but all that everyone, and most importanly *HER* that notices is how BIG these are). They''re still plenty sparkly and and when you look at her, all you see is these HUGE monsters.

Btw, she''s looked - with me - at some extremely well cut stones (both mine, well not so much mine, but also in the shops here in Singapore) of various sizes. The larger ones, those from 5ct upwards cost an absolute fortune. These 2 stones I''ve found for her, are within her budget (if that''s the right word, LOL), and satisfy her most important requirement, ie. SIZE, without sacrificying too much on the other parameters.

I think the J coloured stone is very well cut and if it''s eye-clean (which it may or may not be, I will ask the vendor) it mightn''t be a bad idea for her. The G coloured stone I''ve been told is (if my memory serves me well, but my memory is not so good these days, LOL) eye-clean. For the cut of the G, of course one would need the rest of the infor to work out what its HCA score is.

I would need to work out how to get the stones over here in SG for us to look at first before she buys. But even before that, I''d have to rely on the vendor (particularly Jim at JA whom I respect and trust hugely) to tell me more about them.

Thanks again.
I understand, cut is not everyone''s priority nor is having a diamond which is completely eyeclean - and there is indeed a good chance that either of these will not be. If she wants a big stone and doesn''t mind if it is eyecleanish or not completely eyeclean then the first one might suit her. Jim will advise accordingly.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 3:25:52 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 11/20/2008 8:00:10 PM
Author: Phoenix

This stone would be for my friend, who''s a complete size wh***. She''s already got some *smaller* stones of 2-3ct each of F VVS- VS quality. I''ve already advised her that she''d be better off going for something well cut and ''smaller'' (all relative here, he he), like a 4 carat of higher colour and clarity, like an F or G with VS1 or VS2. She thinks such a stone would be ''far too small'' (her own words
6.gif
3.gif
). She has these amazing 6+cttw studs of K colour and she would like an e-ring that''s ''worthy'' of her studs. Incidentally, I couln''t detect any hint of colour even on the side on these studs (and I thought *I* was particularly colour-sensitive). Also, interestingly enough, her studs are not well cut (table of 60-63%, but all that everyone, and most importanly *HER* that notices is how BIG these are). They''re still plenty sparkly and and when you look at her, all you see is these HUGE monsters.

Btw, she''s looked - with me - at some extremely well cut stones (both mine, well not so much mine, but also in the shops here in Singapore) of various sizes. The larger ones, those from 5ct upwards cost an absolute fortune. These 2 stones I''ve found for her, are within her budget (if that''s the right word, LOL), and satisfy her most important requirement, ie. SIZE, without sacrificying too much on the other parameters.

I think the J coloured stone is very well cut and if it''s eye-clean (which it may or may not be, I will ask the vendor) it mightn''t be a bad idea for her. The G coloured stone I''ve been told is (if my memory serves me well, but my memory is not so good these days, LOL) eye-clean. For the cut of the G, of course one would need the rest of the infor to work out what its HCA score is.

I would need to work out how to get the stones over here in SG for us to look at first before she buys. But even before that, I''d have to rely on the vendor (particularly Jim at JA whom I respect and trust hugely) to tell me more about them.

Thanks again.
I understand, cut is not everyone''s priority nor is having a diamond which is completely eyeclean - and there is indeed a good chance that either of these will not be. If she wants a big stone and doesn''t mind if it is eyecleanish or not completely eyeclean then the first one might suit her. Jim will advise accordingly.
Lorelei, thanks for taking the time to post again. I really appreciate it.

Yes, my friend is *the* diamond queen. I thought I was bad enough, he he.

I think there are 2 key issues here: 1) does the J have obvious black spots that can easily be seen - an absolute no no for her; and 2) would the colour offend "her" personallhy? I told her today what everone has said here (and thanks again, everyone) and she insists that she should be *the one* to judge whether or not either stone is suitable, from the cut and colour perspectives.

As mentioned, I will ask Jim for his opinions and advice and take it from there. I''d guess that most likely, she''d want to be able to see both stones in person once and *if* Jim has ok''ed them clarity-wise.

I will keep you all posted.

I''m very excited for my friend!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are most welcome Phoenix, let us know what happens!
35.gif

I hope one of them does turn out to be a fit for her - wowza!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me, neither of these stones.

However, for your friend, it seems that the larger stone is the most suitable, even if it is not completely eye clean. The colour won''t be an issue, since she is ok with her K earrings. Each person has their own set of priorities (even if they sometimes pain us!).

I hope he is happy with her ring.

bruceb916

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 5:02:59 PM
Author: beau13

..it had better come with snow tires, and be a smooth ride!! WOW..that''s the price of a VERY nice vehicle, or a small house!! lol. Best of luck with the decision!!

Where are you buying a house for $100k? Even with the drop in prices, you still need at least 300k to be a area I don''t have to wear body armor just to get the mail.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/21/2008 6:09:00 PM
Author: bruceb916

Date: 11/20/2008 5:02:59 PM
Author: beau13

Where are you buying a house for $100k? Even with the drop in prices, you still need at least 300k to be a area I don''t have to wear body armor just to get the mail.
Bruce, I guess that is why so many northerners move to the south and stay! You actually can still get starter homes for $100,000 in towns outside of metropolitan areas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results