shape
carat
color
clarity

My flouro diamond is also...phosphorescent.

c87

Rough_Rock
So, last night, we held a UV light over her diamond for approximately 30 seconds. We were just actually observing the fluorescent effect in a dark room. Well, we took the UV light away, and the diamond glowed white-VERY light blue/green for another...5 minutes...gradually returning to normal, of course.

Crazy effect. Funny being in dark room and all you can see is the rock on her hand.

P.S., the setting is 3-sided micro-pave and it's cool to see some of those light up flouro when we put the UV light over it.

I'm going to take some pictures tonight, but this has to be rare!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
c87|1395673066|3640398 said:
So, last night, we held a UV light over her diamond for approximately 30 seconds. We were just actually observing the fluorescent effect in a dark room. Well, we took the UV light away, and the diamond glowed white-VERY light blue/green for another...5 minutes...gradually returning to normal, of course.

Crazy effect. Funny being in dark room and all you can see is the rock on her hand.

P.S., the setting is 3-sided micro-pave and it's cool to see some of those light up flouro when we put the UV light over it.

I'm going to take some pictures tonight, but this has to be rare!
...and fun!

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock
Please post pics :) This must be an unexpected but special treat. I can't wait to see

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool!

What level of fluorescence does the stone possess? Rated by GIA or AGS?

Always interested to learn about new colors/durations in phosphorescence!

c87

Rough_Rock
Per GIA, it is "Strong Blue". Here are some pics from another post of mine:

20140216_171901__1_.jpg
20140215_185613__1_.jpg

Tonight, I'm going to take some pics of the phosphorescent effect for you all and some more of the Strong Blue!

P.S., I'm still amazed that it is an I-color stone. I was one of those people that wouldn't go below F for none other than preconceived notions, but we haven't thought "color" once after receiving the stone. Very bright, brilliant cut probably helps that a bit.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
OMG! This is so exciting I always wondered why I've only seen the Hope diamond do this. Can't wait to see the pictures :appl:

kay1

Shiny_Rock
I have a VSB on it's way... i hope mine does it too, but i'm not holding my breath!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
FancyIntense|1395692664|3640564 said:
I'm no expert, but that looks like the very strong blue range to me :wacko:

And therein lies the issue with grading fluor!

There is no established procedure for doing this, so even stones from the same lab (GIA or AGS), that receive the same 'level' of fluor, may look much different, based on the grader's assessment.

I've seen stones graded Medium Blue that looked much closer to Very Strong (in my limited assessment experience), so it is tough to say.

Essentially, once it has been established on a report that a stone possesses fluor (not negligible or faint), you will have to re-examine the stone to determine the precise level.

One of the reasons I like BG Blues so much is that they include a photo of the stone exposed to UV light, so you can see how a particular 'flavor' appears.

fritzi

Rough_Rock
Both of my VSB fluorescent diamonds were also very phosphorescent with a warm white glow. It is such an awesome property of the diamonds. :sun:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As an example of how we all learn together on this forum, I was not familiar with phosphorescence in diamonds when I first saw this thread. I reached out to my contacts at GIA and the research library staff sent me some info.

Here's an interesting article from 2011- click on the article titled 'Type IIb Diamond with Long Phosphorescence'
http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?c=P...ail&pagename=GST/Dispatcher&cid=1355958114479

Here is another snippet from a very old article with a good description of a "chameleon" diamond. It notes that this particular stone also exhibited phosphorescence.

Gem Trade Lab Notes. G&G, Summer 1959, p. 293: “A most unusual fluorescent diamond seen in the Lab was a fine brownish yellow when first taken from the diamond paper. As one approached daylight from a window, the stone turned green and remained that color during the day. Placed overnight in the safe, it again resumed its brownish-yellow color. As one could imagine, the stone was highly fluorescent and, in addition, phosphorescent.

c87

Rough_Rock
fritzi|1395704932|3640698 said:
Both of my VSB fluorescent diamonds were also very phosphorescent with a warm white glow. It is such an awesome property of the diamonds. :sun:

I wanted to come back with my findings which I think correlate with fritzi's.

The effect is very hard to capture with my Galaxy S4 camera. But, in a dark room after effected with UV light, the diamond holds a white glow for a handful of minutes. I wish I had a dedicated camera to capture this effect, and I'm afraid it doesn't glow bright enough for my phone to pick up. While my camera can't pick it up, it is certainly visible via the human eye from across the room, i.e., you could see the diamond but you can't see the person! Anyways, if I am able to capture photos in the future, I will update this thread! Sorry to disappoint!!

Nicolo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Oh drat, I was really looking forward to a picture! Please, keep trying! :wavey:

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
About a year ago I got my engagement ring and found it was phosphorescent too! It glows a red orange for a minute or two. I was able to get a picture by focusing on the diamond with the camera using the black light then turning it off and taking continuous pictures. Maybe that will work for you!

img_5261b.jpg

c87

Rough_Rock
kemurphy|1396024761|3642922 said:
About a year ago I got my engagement ring and found it was phosphorescent too! It glows a red orange for a minute or two. I was able to get a picture by focusing on the diamond with the camera using the black light then turning it off and taking continuous pictures. Maybe that will work for you!

img_5261b.jpg

kemurphy, this is an fair representation of what happens to to mine! Instead of the red/orange, you get, mine gets the very light blue/very light green which almost appears as a white glow.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
You and your girl are SO lucky!! That's such a cool thing to see and possess. Hope you enjoy for a LONG time.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kemurphy|1396024761|3642922 said:

img_5261b.jpg

Very interesting! Is your diamond also fluorescent, and if so, what is the color and strength? It would be cool to try to capture a video of it with UV on and follow the change as UV is turned off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results