shape
carat
color
clarity

My eRing Story (Possible Diamond Switch)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicago_ering

Rough_Rock
Last weekend, my finance and I had to get the setting on the ering adjusted because one of the prongs was knocked out of place. So we proceded to take it to the Jewelers Row in Chicago on Wabash and wanted to get the single prong realigned again- We took it to Prudential Jewelers which was the first store we walked into. The guy we met said that it was a no big deal and that he could realign the prong, however, my fiance wanted to have it done in front of us. He was really offended and said that with a reputable store like Prudential, we would have to trust him or take it elsewhere. So we trusted this guy and he took it in the back room for a mere 2 minutes to straighten out the prong. Is this long enough to switch out the diamond? I have serious doubts that he did, but I have been reading the posts on this forum and have see posts saying they can switch in no-time at all and have made me quite worried. I know the rock''s size and it''s place on the setting well and can''t see how he could have switched the stone fast enough with an exact duplicate to match my setting- Any ideas? Thanks!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Does it look like the same stone? If so, I don''t think I would worry.

chicago_ering

Rough_Rock
Thanks, although I understand that what was asked can be offending, you have to realize that someone not involved in the diamond business has no clue as to what is etiquette at a diamond store. Also, if you gave everything into an e-ring, you''d want it to be safe as well.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/17/2004 10:43:47 AM
Author:chicago_ering

Is this long enough to switch out the diamond?
Hi,

The answer is no,

But get the diamond checked out for your own piece of mind.

chicago_ering

Rough_Rock
thanks for your input. i just purchased a loupe to compare it against my gia report. however, i wanted the experts in this forum to validate my own understanding that it is quite impossible to switch it out in such a short period of time.

thanks again.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I know that I am biased on this issue, but here goes anyway.

It seems like a lot of negative energy is spent on this "Diamond Switching fear/myth"

I think all owners of diamond rings would be well served to develop a relationship with a local jeweler they can trust.

Otherwise, is reminds me of a Mad Magazine 'Spy versus spy' scenario...

You get the diamond from a vendor , send it to an appraisor...

Should you then get the diamond reconfirmed after coming back from the appraisor or setter ?

At which point do you decide to trust the last person that touched your diamond ?

If it all.

Where does it end?

Does obsessing on this cause mental illness or just mental anxiety ?

Wow!

Here is my simple solution.

All diamond rings need periodic maintenance, this is a fact.

Find a local jeweler that will help you identify your diamond, (the good ones will be glad to do this as they don't want into this nightmare either)

This will give you piece of mind as well as the jeweler.

Now, you can bring the diamond ring in for repairs without the nightmare starting all over again.

It really is that simple.

IMO

laney

Brilliant_Rock
It think it''s a good idea that you bought a loupe, get familar with your inclusions.

They are almost like a birthmark. Or if you have a laser inscription - write the number down and put it on a business card in your purse/wallet.

I am a consumer, and yes, I will admit that I have those fears too. But I handle it by looking at my inclusiosn before handing it to them. They look at it - then go do whatever ... then when they give it back - I politely ask to borrow their loupe and check again.

I didn''t think that offended my jeweler. But it was a quick way to make *me* feel comforatable about the process.

psuheather

Shiny_Rock
I have to say...I don't think that you should feel the least bit worried about offending the jeweler. You don't know this person from Adam...you are not at all accusing them of being a thief or a crook--you are looking out for yourself and protecting an item that is very valuable (not to metion putting your mind at ease.) I would much rather be safe than sorry...and I think that most business people not only understand but expect this type of vigilance from customers (not just in the jewelry business, but in every type of business.) If that particular jeweler doesn't like it, then there are thousands more that would be more than willing to respect your wishes and have your business.

BTW--the story above this post proves to me that it's actually in the best interest of both the jeweler and the customer for the handling of the stone to be in the clear view of everyone involved. People can get burned on both sides, so it's better to protect yourself.

chicago_ering

Rough_Rock
I bought a loupe and can''t see a darn thing! Do I need a microscope to see anything? Is it a problem when you have the roundcut mounted already? Cause I can''t see any of the imperfections- or is it just simply not a good loupe?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know what clarity your diamond is? If it is SI1 and below you should see inclusions (maybe with practice) with a loupe. I would say that VS1 and above would definitely need practice but a jeweller would be able to see them in a VS1/VS2. VVS1 and 2 would probably need a microscope and a trained set of eyes as I believe even those in the trade say it takes a while to find a small pinpoint sometimes.

I am a consumer but I believe the above would be correct.

UnionDiamond

Rough_Rock

It''s not always easy for professionals to see where the imperfections are and the last thing you want to do is go second guessing yourself for the next year so it may be worth you while to take it to an independent appraiser for verification.

I would suggest that you follow the sound advice given in this thread by Brian Knox.

One word of advice to any consumer reading this, if you do not feel 100% comfortable with a jeweler, do not give them the ring in the first place.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also solidly agree with the comments of Brian a few posts ago.

Using a loupe takes a little bit of practice. Hold the lens about an inch away from your eye and the focus is about an inch away from that. Practice by looking at your fingerprints. Often the inclusions in an SI1 are fairly small and remarkably difficult to find but they should be visible with even a mediocre loupe. The lab report usually will have a little diagram on it that is sort of a map to show you where to look and what to look for.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
This type of worry is why it is so important to find a local jeweler that you like and trust, so that when you need repairs in the future, you will be leaving your precious in the hands of a known quantity. It''s also why I think a "signature" inclusion is often a good thing.

I do understand you being paranoid about such an expensive item, but you are the one who walked into the first store you saw. To do so, and then imply to the benchman that he''s got designs on stealing your stone is pretty offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results