shape
carat
color
clarity

My Cut To Order Crafted By Infinity Diamond - Part two

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earlier I had posted the beginning of my journey of ordering a custom Cut-to-Order CBI diamond.
The link to that story is here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ordered-a-custom-crafted-by-infinity-diamond.206471/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ordered-a-custom-crafted-by-infinity-diamond.206471/[/URL]

The journey continues …

Throughout the “process” as Paul calls it, there were no status reports. Paul has a strict policy of not discussing any diamond “in-process”, period. That was very difficult for me because I like to know the status of things that impact me. I was told multiple times that Paul and Lieve were totally in control of this diamond, that they know it better than anyone, and that they will craft a diamond to CBI standards. Of course I would call Wink multiple times a week and ask for status to which he replied “I don’t know”. I think he was ready to strangle me.

Early in November there was a conference call with Paul, John, and myself. I was told that the diamond was finished but that they had discovered a nick on the girdle. To completely remove it, they had to re-polish the girdle facets and all the crown and pavilion facets which caused the finished weight of the diamond to drop to 2.21 carats instead of the original estimate of 2.30 or more. Paul could have left the nick in the girdle, and it still would have been an AGS0, F-SI1, but that is not Paul. His extremely exacting standards for all CBI diamonds are above that even if it caused a reduction in weight.

Expecting a diamond of at least 2.30 carats, I was initially very disappointed at the outcome so I emailed Paul and John to find out more. Their response was:

“Our crafting goal has to do with virtual facet crispness and visibility. Not just rubbing out a blemish. That means than any fine-tuning we do to a single facet indeed has implications across the diamond in a 3D sense. It's to the benefit of all of our diamonds, but now you can clearly see why we talk about (a) more time to our crafting process (b) more sophisticated tools (c) more skill from the team and (d) ultimately a greater loss of weight.

In fact, it's positive to me that you're a party to this: As a technical person you can now appreciate the detail and degree to which we commit in our process. You could have received a heavier finished diamond. But would you really want it then, knowing that it was somewhat close to being perfectly tuned, but not quite there?

This is something most diamond enthusiasts (and many Jewelers) are not even aware-of. CBI could easily have stopped your project at a higher carat weight, preserving the printed 2D parameters and a nice level of 3D precision, but we did NOT stop until it truly became a Crafted by Infinity diamond, as part of our vision and mission. It's why you chose us... I think it's a perfect fit that you're with the team who will go that extra distance for you.”

At this point I had to step back and be 100% completely honest with myself. I had originally wanted a 2 ct F-SI1. Paul presented two candidates, a 2.15 and 2.30. I chose the larger one because it had the stronger “F” color. That caused 2.30+ cts and 8.5 mm to become the new goal in my mind. The question now was would I have been interested if I saw a 2.21 F-SI1 on Wink’s HPD website. After much soul searching, the answer was yes, I would have asked Wink to call it in.

As promised, because the predicted weight was not achieved, Paul refunded the appropriate amount of money that I applied towards my ring mountings. I was also assured that it was a very strong “F” color and a solid eye-clean SI1 clarity.

My lovely diamond, still unseen by me, was then shipped off to the AGSL to be graded with more waiting on my part. AGSL graded it ASG0 F-SI1 as expected.

What I have learned from this journey is that diamond cutting is not guaranteed and unforeseen circumstances can and do happen. Per John “A diamond crystal is the hardest natural known substance in the universe. It does not want to be shaped. It does not want to be polished. It wants to remain the hardest and most inalterable natural substance. It resists. It fools you with graining. It produces unexpected challenges… It’s like taming a wild stallion.”

Most importantly, a lesson for me personally is that one must remain flexible, have patience, and to trust the process.

So here I present my 2.21 ct F-SI1 Cut-to-Order Crafted by Infinity diamond:

cheryl-6993-arrows.jpg

cheryl-6993-hearts.jpg

cheryl-6993-mag.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the IdealScope image:

Here is the ASET Image: John offered to retake the image in his office because the diamond was not perfectly flat in the picture, but I accepted it as is.

cheryl-6993-is.jpg

cheryl-6993-aset.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some pictures that really show the dispersion that this diamond sends out
Check out all those rainbow colors.

cbi_2_21-top.jpg

cbi_2_21-top2.jpg

cbi_2_21-top3.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow cflutist, it's gorgeous! You must have nerves of
steel to survive the process. It's like your very own baby
made just for you. I hope you feel like a proud mama
because she's a beauty!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just gorgeous, of course! :love: Yes, some people don't understand that cutting diamonds to a high level of perfection is a very time consuming process that takes talent and skill on the part of the cutter. I remember Yoram saying he remembered cutting my diamond! I guess they are like babies to great cutters who labor over them! It is NOT like they are put in a machine and cut automatically! I honestly think some people think that!

I can wait to see it set! :appl:

(By the way, if you can still edit your first post, your text is posted twice.)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1416699044|3788693 said:
Oh wow cflutist, it's gorgeous! You must have nerves of
steel to survive the process. It's like your very own baby
made just for you. I hope you feel like a proud mama
because she's a beauty!

Yes, it has been a long journey with its ups and downs, but not due to anything that Paul did, but rather due to defects in my own personality. When I was working I used to manage multi-million dollar Software Engineering Projects where I was in control.
When one is having a diamond cut to order, the client is not in control, but rather Paul and Lieve are. Being that I am retired now, I had to learn to step back and allow them to craft a diamond with their standards of excellence that they have done thousands of times now.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1416699130|3788694 said:
It is just gorgeous, of course! :love: Yes, some people don't understand that cutting diamonds to a high level of perfection is a very time consuming process that takes talent and skill on the part of the cutter. I remember Yoram saying he remembered cutting my diamond! I guess they are like babies to great cutters who labor over them! It is NOT like they are put in a machine and cut automatically! I honestly think some people think that!

I can wait to see it set! :appl:

(By the way, if you can still edit your first post, your text is posted twice.)

Thanks for catching my typo. I fixed it I hope.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Wow. I don't think I I have the nerves to survive the cutting process. Never Mind the diamond. Thanks so much for sharing cflutist!! Your diamond is...wow. Can't wait to see the ring!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW!!..every photo looks perfect ... :love: :love: :appl: congrats Cf!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks perfect. Why then is it still SI1 when I don't see glaring inclusions in the photos? It's a very lovely diamond. Congrats!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is one gorgeous diamond!!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thecat|1416709334|3788749 said:
It looks perfect. Why then is it still SI1 when I don't see glaring inclusions in the photos? It's a very lovely diamond. Congrats!

If you look closely in the magnification view and the IdealScope view, you will see two grade setting crystals near the edge of the girdle at 4 o'clock. There is also something at 7:30 and 2. There are a few minor clouds too.

From what I've learned, CBI is very good at orientating the crystal so that inclusions have minimal impact for the face up view.

Wink checked it and said it was eye-clean to the naked eye.

I saw it during our Internet Show and Tell and session but have not examined it myself yet.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For you number crunchers out there here is the ASGL lab report.
To protect my privacy dear hubby converted the .pdf file to .jpg and whited out part of the number.

Sorry if it is a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

ps_agsl_doc.jpg

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW!! I can't wait to see a hand shot--how gorgeous!! Congratulations! :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's lovely. Truly. Wear it in the best of health!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An old poster Lula (I haven't seen her around recently, but I also haven't been around recently so maybe I've missed her) used to say that CBIs have a "characteristic look" about them. Your custom-cut beauty is the picture of precision-cut perfection, thank you for sharing it with us!! :love:

I'm glad you were able to make peace with the smaller size - that standard of craftsmanship is what makes your stone so special, and from what you've written about this project so far I'm really happy that you decided against compromising it to keep a few extra points ::) I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, can't wait to see how you set it!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1416697815|3788679 said:
Early in November there was a conference call with Paul, John, and myself. I was told that the diamond was finished but that they had discovered a nick on the girdle. To completely remove it, they had to re-polish the girdle facets and all the crown and pavilion facets which caused the finished weight of the diamond to drop to 2.21 carats instead of the original estimate of 2.30 or more. Paul could have left the nick in the girdle, and it still would have been an AGS0, F-SI1, but that is not Paul. His extremely exacting standards for all CBI diamonds are above that even if it caused a reduction in weight.

Expecting a diamond of at least 2.30 carats, I was initially very disappointed at the outcome so I emailed Paul and John to find out more.
IMO, 9 points is no big deal. I'll take a perfectly cut 2.21ct over a 2.30ct with a nicked girdle any day of the week.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is perfection! :clap: :love: :clap: :love: :clap:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
That is insanely gorgeous! Had to pick my jaw up off the keyboard watching the video :love: Congratulations!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful! This is interesting, because when Brian Gavin recut my small diamond, they chose to go for weight over perfection, which was a bit disappointing to me. Nice to know that Crafted By Infinity diamonds uphold that standard.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Fascinating to follow this process, and the diamond is stunning. There is something about CBI diamonds- I got goosebumps and a little teary watching your video. It is deeply satisfying to read about the absolute commitment to excellence and beauty that CBI has.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cannot even get over how insanely gorgeous this is. Those shots with the arrow flash are incredibly beautiful. Money shot! But I love the video. Two experts on one video. And the shots of the arrows at the end?! *faint*

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cflutist - it's amazing!!! I was absolutely blown away by how crisp and clear that faceting is in the video - it's really just fantastic. I hope you'll share pics of it when it arrives to you, and I can't wait to see how you set it!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing the experience Cflutist. The precision of these diamonds is amazing.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting and what a gorgeous stone!!! wish it were mine.. !!!

:love: :love: :love:

Wednesday

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1416723536|3788839 said:
cflutist|1416697815|3788679 said:

Expecting a diamond of at least 2.30 carats, I was initially very disappointed at the outcome so I emailed Paul and John to find out more.
IMO, 9 points is no big deal. I'll take a perfectly cut 2.21ct over a 2.30ct with a nicked girdle any day of the week.

+ 1.

Colorless and an eyeclean SI1 are my ideal ring stone specs. This is gorgeous and I can't wait to see more pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results