shape
carat
color
clarity

My Cut To Order Crafted By Infinity Diamond - Part two

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Great account of the process and the finished stone looks great. Those images are lovely! The cutting seems exquisite. Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pleased for you, beautiful diamond. Are we able to see pictures of the rough or not this time? If not, have you CFlutist been able to see them yourself?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline|1416754714|3788974 said:
Beautiful! This is interesting, because when Brian Gavin recut my small diamond, they chose to go for weight over perfection, which was a bit disappointing to me. Nice to know that Crafted By Infinity diamonds uphold that standard.

Just different standards, one is not better than the other really. Some would prefer it one way and others another. You said your small diamond, so maybe the cost would outweigh the worth in that case. Suppose they have a model they measure it up against.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1416712531|3788765 said:
For you number crunchers out there here is the ASGL lab report.
To protect my privacy dear hubby converted the .pdf file to .jpg and whited out part of the number.

Sorry if it is a bit blurry, but you get the idea.

Been told that the numbers are difficult to read so here they are:

Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Color Grade: AGS 1.0 (F)
Clarity Grade: AGS 5 (SI1)
Carat Weight 2.210
Fluorescence: Negligible

Light Performance: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table: 55.7%
Crown Angle: 34.3
Crown Height: 15.1%
Girdle: Faceted, 1.6% to 3.8% (Thin to Medium)
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion Depth: 43.2%
Star Length: 52%
Lower Girdle Length: 77%
Total Depth: 61.6%
Culet: Pointed

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It's simply stunning! :love:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1416716876|3788809 said:
An old poster Lula (I haven't seen her around recently, but I also haven't been around recently so maybe I've missed her) used to say that CBIs have a "characteristic look" about them. Your custom-cut beauty is the picture of precision-cut perfection, thank you for sharing it with us!! :love:

I'm glad you were able to make peace with the smaller size - that standard of craftsmanship is what makes your stone so special, and from what you've written about this project so far I'm really happy that you decided against compromising it to keep a few extra points ::) I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Hello, Yssie! :wavey: I am still here, but these days I spend most of my time lurking on the CS forum. And, yes, CBI stones have a very characteristic crisp look that is consistent from stone to stone. You can see a bit of what I'm talking about in the still photos of cflutist's magnificent stone: the facet edges are as sharp as knives' edges, even magnified 20x, 40x or more.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cflutist, your diamond is absolutely amazing and gorgeous and stunning and truly beautiful. One descriptive word just isn't enough.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1416699130|3788694 said:
It is just gorgeous, of course! :love: Yes, some people don't understand that cutting diamonds to a high level of perfection is a very time consuming process that takes talent and skill on the part of the cutter. I remember Yoram saying he remembered cutting my diamond! ]I guess they are like babies to great cutters who labor over them! It is NOT like they are put in a machine and cut automatically! I honestly think some people think that!

I can wait to see it set! :appl:

(By the way, if you can still edit your first post, your text is posted twice.)

Diamond cutting has been automated since the mid-1990s.
http://www.jckonline.com/article/28...aper_Automation_Brings_Diamonds_To_Market.php
From the article: "Today in Israel virtually every process producing round brilliants is automated, from the setting of the rough diamonds into the machines to the final facets. The result is nothing less than revolution. Indeed, there have been more radical changes in diamond factories in the 1990s than in all the previous years of this century. The ingredients of this revolution came from the high-tech industries: computers add precision to every step of the process, while scanning and video advances allow computers to control the machines that fashion diamonds."

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
It's incredible- it really is. So beautiful! Congratulations on your nerves of steel and patience and I can't wait to see it set.

lovefordiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Cflutist, thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! What an amazing~~~~~ piece of art!!! It's absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations and can't wait to see how you set it! Bring on those hand shots!! :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
that's amazing!! i applaud you for your courage throughout this entire process. must've been scary :razz:

Just wondering, did the custom cut diamond end up being more or less than what you would have paid if you got something directly off of their website/inventory?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1416716876|3788809 said:
An old poster Lula (I haven't seen her around recently, but I also haven't been around recently so maybe I've missed her) used to say that CBIs have a "characteristic look" about them. Your custom-cut beauty is the picture of precision-cut perfection, thank you for sharing it with us!! :love:

I'm glad you were able to make peace with the smaller size - that standard of craftsmanship is what makes your stone so special, and from what you've written about this project so far I'm really happy that you decided against compromising it to keep a few extra points ::) I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

There were no compromises on my part as I was not given the option. Paul has very exacting standards of excellence. A nick in the girdle is considered a blemish (plotted in green) that is not allowed in any CBI diamond, period.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1416723536|3788839 said:
cflutist|1416697815|3788679 said:
Early in November there was a conference call with Paul, John, and myself. I was told that the diamond was finished but that they had discovered a nick on the girdle. To completely remove it, they had to re-polish the girdle facets and all the crown and pavilion facets which caused the finished weight of the diamond to drop to 2.21 carats instead of the original estimate of 2.30 or more. Paul could have left the nick in the girdle, and it still would have been an AGS0, F-SI1, but that is not Paul. His extremely exacting standards for all CBI diamonds are above that even if it caused a reduction in weight.

Expecting a diamond of at least 2.30 carats, I was initially very disappointed at the outcome so I emailed Paul and John to find out more.
IMO, 9 points is no big deal. I'll take a perfectly cut 2.21ct over a 2.30ct with a nicked girdle any day of the week.

DF, where were you 3 weeks ago when I needed you? You could have hit me over the head with a 2x4 to knock some sense into me. That would have saved me a lot of tears and angst.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1416762260|3789038 said:
I cannot even get over how insanely gorgeous this is. Those shots with the arrow flash are incredibly beautiful. Money shot! But I love the video. Two experts on one video. And the shots of the arrows at the end?! *faint*

Ame and Evangeline: I felt so honored and fortunate that both Wink and John Pollard spoke on my video. It was great to be reminded about what makes Crafted By Infinity so special. It gave me goosebumps myself when I first saw it and I have lost track of the number of times I've watched it since. Lots of dispersion shown, and the killer shot of the arrows at the end.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
endless_summer|1416764110|3789057 said:
Cflutist - it's amazing!!! I was absolutely blown away by how crisp and clear that faceting is in the video - it's really just fantastic. I hope you'll share pics of it when it arrives to you, and I can't wait to see how you set it!

I was pretty blown away as well. I do plan to start a SMTB thread when I receive my ring(s). It will be a RHR, but I decided to order a matching band as well just in case I ever decide to change fingers.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wednesday|1416773126|3789133 said:
Early in November there was a conference call with Paul, John, and myself. I was told that the diamond was finished but that they had discovered a nick on the girdle. To completely remove it, they had to re-polish the girdle facets and all the crown and pavilion facets which caused the finished weight of the diamond to drop to 2.21 carats instead of the original estimate of 2.30 or more. Paul could have left the nick in the girdle, and it still would have been an AGS0, F-SI1, but that is not Paul. His extremely exacting standards for all CBI diamonds are above that even if it caused a reduction in weight.

Expecting a diamond of at least 2.30 carats, I was initially very disappointed at the outcome so I emailed Paul and John to find out more.
IMO, 9 points is no big deal. I'll take a perfectly cut 2.21ct over a 2.30ct with a nicked girdle any day of the week.

+ 1.

Colorless and an eyeclean SI1 are my ideal ring stone specs. This is gorgeous and I can't wait to see more pics!

F - SI1 is my sweet spot as well. My 3.01 pear is also a F-SI1. Years ago before that, I also wanted a F-SI1 oval, but had to buy a 2.05 D-VS2 because that was what was available at the time. Love the fact that "F" is still pretty colorless (but not icy white like my "D" was) and eyeclean SI1 is my compromise for clarity. BTW, there is a 2.52 F-VS1 CBI available right now for anyone who is interested, only $67K.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1416781128|3789187 said:
Really pleased for you, beautiful diamond. Are we able to see pictures of the rough or not this time? If not, have you CFlutist been able to see them yourself?

There were no pictures taken so I didn't get to see any either.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dawnxcui|1416852955|3789624 said:
that's amazing!! i applaud you for your courage throughout this entire process. must've been scary :razz:

Just wondering, did the custom cut diamond end up being more or less than what you would have paid if you got something directly off of their website/inventory?

For a control freak like me, yes it was scary not having any information during the "process".
For a glimpse of that "process" there is a video (From Here to Infinity) available on the CBI website that shows the care, planning, and execution that goes into every CBI diamond. Some pretty cool shots of the dop and polishing wheel too.

http://craftedbyinfinity.com

According to Paul Slegers, there is no premium for a CTO (Cut to Order) CBI Diamond. You are given a price up front for an agreed upon final diamond, in my case at least 2.30 ct, F, SI1 or better. Because I did not get at least 2.30 ct, Paul refunded the appropriate amount of money (that was enough to pay for the entire ring mounting, and half of the band). You have to admire someone like Paul who could have easily left the nick in the girdle without loss of weight, but because of his standards of excellence, removed the nick at a cost to him.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom
AprilBaby
sarahb
Gypsy
Andelain
arkieb1 (fellow flutist)
ecf8503
woofmama
Tourmaline
Diamondbug
LoversKites
Tekate
SirGuy
Pyramid
lula
marcy
Logan Sapphire
lovefordiamonds

Thank you all for your kind words. It has been a long (10 weeks) and interesting journey.
Now I can't wait for my rings to be finished. I was gently reminded this morning by Wink to relax and be patient again.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Mind boggling :love: . Perfect specs and size. Wear it in health!

cheers--Sharon

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
An amazingly beautiful diamond. I'm not a huge fan of rounds but yours is just spectacular! Judging by the other diamonds on inventory, it must have cost a pretty penny. I wish I could afford such a stone ::) Congratulations and great job by Wink & the others at HPD (CBI). I'll definitely recommend them to my friends who are in the market for a brilliant round engagement ring and will link them to this thread.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1416863195|3789739 said:

DF, where were you 3 weeks ago when I needed you? You could have hit me over the head with a 2x4 to knock some sense into me. That would have saved me a lot of tears and angst.
Yeah, what is the big deal? maybe like .05 mm difference? I'll take a perfectly cut 2.21ct any day of the week... :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1416864197|3789758 said:

+ 1.

Colorless and an eyeclean SI1 are my ideal ring stone specs. This is gorgeous and I can't wait to see more pics!

F - SI1 is my sweet spot as well. My 3.01 pear is also a F-SI1. Years ago before that, I also wanted a F-SI1 oval, but had to buy a 2.05 D-VS2 because that was what was available at the time. Love the fact that "F" is still pretty colorless (but not icy white like my "D" was) and eyeclean SI1 is my compromise for clarity. BTW, there is a 2.52 F-VS1 CBI available right now for anyone who is interested, only $67K.
I am interested if you loan me the $67K... :naughty:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1416868992|3789844 said:
HI:

Mind boggling :love: . Perfect specs and size. Wear it in health!

cheers--Sharon

Thank you.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
noscrusir|1416874450|3789902 said:
An amazingly beautiful diamond. I'm not a huge fan of rounds but yours is just spectacular! Judging by the other diamonds on inventory, it must have cost a pretty penny. I wish I could afford such a stone ::) Congratulations and great job by Wink & the others at HPD (CBI). I'll definitely recommend them to my friends who are in the market for a brilliant round engagement ring and will link them to this thread.

Thank you for your kind words. I am the type of person who would rather do without and then save to buy quality items in things that I care about and this CBI diamond is something I really care about. When I was working I bought Calvin Klein and Evan Picone (are they still in business?) suits but would buy my tank tops from Costco.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Holy effin moly!!!! Look at that thing! Congrats on a CUSTOM cut stone, not many of us can say we have that. What a stunner!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1416875458|3789915 said:
cflutist|1416864197|3789758 said:

+ 1.

I am interested if you loan me the $67K... :naughty:
Hmmm, well that depends :lol:

Seriously, Hubby and I briefly discussed the 2.52 F-VS1 after I learned of my 2.21, and he said I could buy it if I really wanted to. I called Wink up and he said "well, that would be a first, upgrade before receiving the original". He talked some sense into me and said just enjoy the beautiful 2.21 that you are about to receive (well that was 3 weeks ago :lol: ) for a while and that I could always trade up later (there is a 100% trade-up policy on all CBI diamonds purchased from Wink).

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
AMAZING! How special too to have something custom cut just for you!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TitanCi|1416932400|3790255 said:
Holy effin moly!!!! Look at that thing! Congrats on a CUSTOM cut stone, not many of us can say we have that. What a stunner!!!

Thank you, there are a few around here.
There are also those who have recut existing diamonds.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
two_little_birds|1416954770|3790454 said:
AMAZING! How special too to have something custom cut just for you!!

You can do the same. Just give Wink a call and tell him what you want.
In my case I had a conference call with Wink and John telling them specifically what I wanted, e.g. fatter arrows for more dispersion,
and I did receive my 77% LGLs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results