shape
carat
color
clarity

My CAD Drawings Are In...Want To Critique?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Now, I know that this ring isn't going to be for everyone and please know that I asked for busy, busy, busy! So, if you absolutely hate the ring, I may not want to hear from you...heehee!

I love the style and love the design so far, but my initial thought is that I want to soften it just a bit. It might be that it looks so hard because it is the CAD as I have noticed that hard appearance on other drawings before. The ring will have milgrain work that isn't present in the drawing and I think that will go a long way in softening the look. I'm also wondering if it would look better with a squared halo around the center stone?

Specs...

4.08 RB I SI2
.59 trapezoids
6.75 finger size

Let me see if I can get the drawings in...

1ring1.jpg

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
It''s going to be beautiful and also very blingy. CADs always look more severe than a ring does IRL. Obviously, you want a "statement ring" and this ring is going to turn heads. Trust your jeweler; if he or she suggests changes, I would give serious thought to implementing them. I wonder if many of them almost wish CADs didn''t exist so that customers wouldn''t freak when they see them. The final piece won''t look all boxy. It will look great I am sure.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you're right that the miligrain will help soften, but I'd leave the halo round. I think a square halo might make it "harder" looking. What might help soften the profile, would be to taper the ends of the scroll work, so they flow to an end. I think that view is what looks hardest, the top view looks fine imo.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! That ring is gonna be huge!!! I can't wait to see it when its finished!!!
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it! it reminds me a bit of dee*jay''s brick (as we affectionately refer to her gorgeous ring).

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it, but I see what you mean about "softening" it. I think Ellen''s suggestions about having the halos around the traps flow into the shank more would help. Also, if you are not married to traps, I think that half moons might look great and would soften things. I attached a similar Ritani that shows both the fluid merging of the sidestone halos and also half-moon sides.

19QQ18dreamer.jpg

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think a square halo would look good either but I''d still change the shape to match the rest of the ring. Have you considered a cushion shaped halo? I think this would match the shoulders of your ring better, since they''re already in that general shape. Like put a cushion shape for the halo, your round center stone, and for the halo stones use larger stones in the corners to fill the space so that the inside shape is still round to match your center stone, but the outside shape is cushion, if you know what I mean. Sort of like this pic I attached.

Best wishes,
Yosef

cushion-halo.JPG

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the view from the top! I think a square halo is also an option. IMO the profile has too much going on - I think it could be made more fluid - WHAT A RING!

LuckyTexan

Brilliant_Rock
I would stick with the round halo... for some reason when I see a halo that isn''t the same shape as the stone, it says something to me that I''m sure you aren''t trying to say! LOL!

I think it looks like it''s going to be awesome!

CAD does come accross as WAY harsh. Mine were just way way way too many right angles... and I wanted a very hand carved look, so we switched to hand carving wax.

I can''t wait to see what the finished product looks like!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 11:11:03 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I love it, but I see what you mean about ''softening'' it. I think Ellen''s suggestions about having the halos around the traps flow into the shank more would help. Also, if you are not married to traps, I think that half moons might look great and would soften things. I attached a similar Ritani that shows both the fluid merging of the sidestone halos and also half-moon sides.
Actually, while that may not be a bad suggestion either dreamer, I meant, if you''re looking at the ring as if it''s on the finger, the scroll work on that profile just stops in a straight line. I''d make that taper down, so it isn''t so severe.

luvstheflash, I hope we''ve all helped with your enquiry.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Even though its not my usual style, I really like it. I like the traps rather than half moons as I think their different sparkly patterns will help them stand out from all the other sparkle... otherwise it might just look like a blingy blur/mush where you can't identify the different stones.

But, my own dislike (which you can take or leave) is when the ring width exceeds the finger width from the top view, which this one might with the substantial squarish halos around the traps. Sometimes large five-stone rings have this property - I like the ring to match the finger width on more substantial rings. But with a 4 carat center, that will take up a lot of real estate without even considering the sides and side halos. So I'm not sure how to minimize the traps halo but keep the styling consistent, but that would be my goal in tweaking this design.

ETA: Maybe add more angle to the traps and the "platform" that has their halo? And make the halo blend seamlessly into the band of the ring instead of being set above the band - so less of a platform for the traps? In sideview, the scrollwork would then have to taper down somewhat beneath the traps, and blend more seamlessly into the band on the sides.

pmpkn42

Rough_Rock
Wow, that''s some ring/setting. I normally don''t go for rings like this, but I must say, I do like it. I bet it will look really good when done.
35.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 5:30:58 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 6/29/2008 11:11:03 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I love it, but I see what you mean about ''softening'' it. I think Ellen''s suggestions about having the halos around the traps flow into the shank more would help. Also, if you are not married to traps, I think that half moons might look great and would soften things. I attached a similar Ritani that shows both the fluid merging of the sidestone halos and also half-moon sides.
Actually, while that may not be a bad suggestion either dreamer, I meant, if you''re looking at the ring as if it''s on the finger, the scroll work on that profile just stops in a straight line. I''d make that taper down, so it isn''t so severe.

luvstheflash, I hope we''ve all helped with your enquiry.
Sorry! I get it now, and I also think its a good point.

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your thoughts and comments and I''m sorry it took me so long to get back to the thread. 12 year old baseball all day....can''t beat that one dang team.....grrrr.

I''m going to take a look at all that was said! Thanks again!

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
I bet you''re right Isabelle about CAD and jewelers! My jeweler assured me that my ring wouldn''t look harsh like the CAD drawing, but that it would be stunning.

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
I do agree that the side view is the harshest; I''m going to work on that. Tapering the scroll work will be nice. Thanks!

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
I do like the traps, but I do think they need to be lowered some...I''m going to work on that. I like that Ritani setting; thanks for posting it!

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yosef! I''m just not sure about a non-round halo, although I like the look of the ring you posted. I feel like there just may be too much going on with the ring to add another feature. I don''t even know if I''m saying that right!

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Thanks motownmama! I think the profile looks a little bulky...maybe lowering the trap sections will help.

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
The ring will have milgrain; I guess the designer can''t put it on the CAD drawing. Hmmmm....colored surprise stones is an interesting thought! Maybe.....
31.gif

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Thanks Texan and I''m a Texan too! After the CAD''s are finished, the next step is wax! Honestly, I''m just ready to be wearing it! LOL
18.gif

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Ellen, you have all provided some great ideas! The feedback is wonderful...thank you!

luvstheflash

Rough_Rock
Thank you Cara, and I agree with you. I''m going to work on the traps; I think somehow tapering them into the shank will be better also! I want all that action going on, but the bulk needs to be blended better! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results