shape
carat
color
clarity

Multi Row Pave band vs single row band with Halo? Help!!

mapz

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have spent an inordinate amount of time lurking on these forums educating myself about diamonds and settings and am completely addicted!

I have purchased a 1.8ct Oval diamond from Mark at ERD. GIA H VVS2, I think it has a really nice cut and great fire/sparkle.

My girlfriend definitely wants a single Halo with a thin, dainty band. Similar to the Harry Winston Halo which is done so well by ERD, Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, etc etc that I have seen so many times on this board.

The other big desire of my GF is for there to be diamonds on the band visible from the side. With the help of another PS post, I discovered 3-row Pave bands which I think are exactly what she is looking for! -- Just like in this pic: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/halo-solitaire-with-u-stems

I have been informed by another PS post, as well as two different jewlers, that this type of multi-row Pave band with a halo would be a VERY delicate ring, IE would require a lot of baby-ing, careful handling, etc by the wearer as opposed to a single row of diamonds on band similar to: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire-with-2ct-vintage-cushion.

I've also seen many posts on PS advising owners of such rings to: not sleep, shower, etc etc with their rings to avoid damage. My gf has an office job and isn't a big active-sports person other than running.

Someone else even posted this type of ring (multi-row) would be more suited to "special occasions" rather than everyday wear.

SO, I'm having sort of a difficult time deciding on 3-row Pave with Halo vs single row Pave with Halo. I spoke with Victor Canera among other vendors and it sounds to me like Victor would be the best person for this job, and his 3-row pave would still have that thin, dainty band effect that she wants (He said 2.2ish mm vs 1.8 mm single row band).

Pricescope help me out here! I'm having a really difficult time trying to come to a decision on this. I'm thinking either option takes care of her checklist in terms of Thin Band, Halo, etc. But the "Sparkly diamonds on the side view" seems to exist at the risk of having a ring that might really cause some anxiety/stress about being uber-careful with the ring and possibly not wearing it all the time?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mapz|1419107630|3804889 said:
Hello,

I have spent an inordinate amount of time lurking on these forums educating myself about diamonds and settings and am completely addicted!

I have purchased a 1.8ct Oval diamond from Mark at ERD. GIA H VVS2, I think it has a really nice cut and great fire/sparkle.

My girlfriend definitely wants a single Halo with a thin, dainty band. Similar to the Harry Winston Halo which is done so well by ERD, Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, etc etc that I have seen so many times on this board.

The other big desire of my GF is for there to be diamonds on the band visible from the side. With the help of another PS post, I discovered 3-row Pave bands which I think are exactly what she is looking for! -- Just like in this pic: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/halo-solitaire-with-u-stems

I have been informed by another PS post, as well as two different jewlers, that this type of multi-row Pave band with a halo would be a VERY delicate ring, IE would require a lot of baby-ing, careful handling, etc by the wearer as opposed to a single row of diamonds on band similar to: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-emilya-halo-solitaire-with-2ct-vintage-cushion.

I've also seen many posts on PS advising owners of such rings to: not sleep, shower, etc etc with their rings to avoid damage. My gf has an office job and isn't a big active-sports person other than running.

Someone else even posted this type of ring (multi-row) would be more suited to "special occasions" rather than everyday wear.

SO, I'm having sort of a difficult time deciding on 3-row Pave with Halo vs single row Pave with Halo. I spoke with Victor Canera among other vendors and it sounds to me like Victor would be the best person for this job, and his 3-row pave would still have that thin, dainty band effect that she wants (He said 2.2ish mm vs 1.8 mm single row band).

Pricescope help me out here! I'm having a really difficult time trying to come to a decision on this. I'm thinking either option takes care of her checklist in terms of Thin Band, Halo, etc. But the "Sparkly diamonds on the side view" seems to exist at the risk of having a ring that might really cause some anxiety/stress about being uber-careful with the ring and possibly not wearing it all the time?

This would make the decision easy for me. I'd rather have single row pave than have to constantly worry about diamonds falling out or prongs/stones being damaged. I don't care who makes it, pave has to be babied a lot more than just metal or larger prong-set side stones.

I'm reeeeeaaaallllly careful with my ring, and I swear I nearly have a heart attack at least weekly when something bangs against it (and even if you're super careful -- things happen). Maybe you could get some intricate engraving on either side of the band that will give a "sparkle" effect or at least add interest to it? IDK... I'd be very hesitant about 3 sided pave rings -- ONE side of pave is delicate enough to have to worry about, IMO. :shock: ::)

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
mapz|1419107630|3804889 said:
Hello,

I also love the single row halo and It will make the oval look huge ... Did you see Kim Kardashian West hers has a narrow band with all rock upfront gorgous here is photo the band is pave stones

_25380.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely single row. I have heard of three sided pave shanks going out of round. You still have to baby any pave ring, but I would not do 3 sided unless she is going to baby the ring AND not wear a wedding band next to it. Better to have metal against metal (if wearing two rings).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the deal. How much does she love it and how close do you live to Victor Canera?

If she REALLY, REALLY wants a three sided pave shank, and she is willing to live with diamonds falling out and having to be replaced, just get that for her. I know that if I wanted that, I would be willing to wear it knowing the risk and have the diamonds replaced. I would just make sure I live near Victor so I can bring it over whenever I need anything done. I would not let ANYONE work on my Victor Canera ring except him.

If she would rather not have to deal with that potential, then get the single sided pave.

But I would ask her, b/c she is the one that has to live with it. I don't think this is a final decision you should make on your own. She would be the one loving it, or wishing she had a different ring, every day. It is the realities of living with this ring day in and day out that she has to deal with. Have her make the final decision. It will save you a lot of headache in the future. In case it doesn't work out, you won't be blaming yourself for making the wrong decision. She is the one who will or will NOT be willing to baby this thing.

For your info, I am NOT a careful wearer of jewelry, as other PSers know. I've knocked my ring loose in my former setting, and banged it on things. I went from a TANK of a setting to a very delicate Victor Canera setting, because I LOVE his settings and it is worth the effort to me to have this beautiful piece of art on my hand. I've completely changed my ways. I would NEVER wear it to lift weights or even run, any run. I am willing to change my behavior to protect my ring. Yet, I still think I would be able to damage it, and I am willing to live with the risk and potential cost of repair and replacement. Is she?

mapz

Rough_Rock
Oh I agree completely. I am actually showing her all these replies so she can get some input from you guys - she doesn't really have any jewelry so I wanted her to be fully informed.

We live pretty far from Cali FYI.

I did find a local jeweler who has a multi row pave band like this (from A Jaffe) and we are going to go together tomorrow to take a look at it so she can put it on her finger and see what she thinks http://www.ajaffe.com/engagement-rings/round-cut-delicate-pav-c-bridal-engagement-ring

I think the multi row is what she really wants but given the potential issues right now it sounds like she is leaning towards the single row Emilya halo...

I even suggested what about getting the multi row and then getting her another non-diamond ring (not much left in budget after this!!!) to wear during other times when she thinks it should stay protected in the box but I'm not sure if that's really a thing (getting a super blingy delicate ring and another very modest "back up" ring...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1419153661|3805199 said:
Here is the deal. How much does she love it and how close do you live to Victor Canera?

If she REALLY, REALLY wants a three sided pave shank, and she is willing to live with diamonds falling out and having to be replaced, just get that for her. I know that if I wanted that, I would be willing to wear it knowing the risk and have the diamonds replaced. I would just make sure I live near Victor so I can bring it over whenever I need anything done. I would not let ANYONE work on my Victor Canera ring except him.

If she would rather not have to deal with that potential, then get the single sided pave.

But I would ask her, b/c she is the one that has to live with it. I don't think this is a final decision you should make on your own. She would be the one loving it, or wishing she had a different ring, every day. It is the realities of living with this ring day in and day out that she has to deal with. Have her make the final decision. It will save you a lot of headache in the future. In case it doesn't work out, you won't be blaming yourself for making the wrong decision. She is the one who will or will NOT be willing to baby this thing.

For your info, I am NOT a careful wearer of jewelry, as other PSers know. I've knocked my ring loose in my former setting, and banged it on things. I went from a TANK of a setting to a very delicate Victor Canera setting, because I LOVE his settings and it is worth the effort to me to have this beautiful piece of art on my hand. I've completely changed my ways. I would NEVER wear it to lift weights or even run, any run. I am willing to change my behavior to protect my ring. Yet, I still think I would be able to damage it, and I am willing to live with the risk and potential cost of repair and replacement. Is she?

Very good advice from LLJsmom... in the end, it's her ring, so if she's willing to be SUPER careful and not get annoyed if it has to be repaired, then get it for her! :bigsmile: Who knows... maybe she'll never need a repair?? :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mapz|1419166759|3805223 said:
Oh I agree completely. I am actually showing her all these replies so she can get some input from you guys - she doesn't really have any jewelry so I wanted her to be fully informed.

We live pretty far from Cali FYI.

I did find a local jeweler who has a multi row pave band like this (from A Jaffe) and we are going to go together tomorrow to take a look at it so she can put it on her finger and see what she thinks http://www.ajaffe.com/engagement-rings/round-cut-delicate-pav-c-bridal-engagement-ring

I think the multi row is what she really wants but given the potential issues right now it sounds like she is leaning towards the single row Emilya halo...

I even suggested what about getting the multi row and then getting her another non-diamond ring (not much left in budget after this!!!) to wear during other times when she thinks it should stay protected in the box but I'm not sure if that's really a thing (getting a super blingy delicate ring and another very modest "back up" ring...

A. Jaffe makes quality pieces... I considered using them for my setting. Good idea on the "back up" ring -- best of both worlds!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I had a 3 row pave for my first ring. The side diamonds regularly fell out so I had it remade by another jeweler. Same thing. At least A couple times a year I had a diamond fall out. My ring also went out of round. I am not trying to discourage going in this direction, but I got frustrated having to take my ring in multiple times a year. Not everyone has this experience, but just wanted to share mine. It's kind of like owning a land rover or Range Rover- they are known for great performance, look fabulous but aren't exactly known for reliability.

Btw- love her taste. Both rings are fabulous.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results