shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite and Asha (manmade) diamond vs real diamonds

gktops

Rough_Rock
Can you tell me/show me why I shouldn't get a moissanite or an asha diamond in place of a real diamond? It looks like you can get a 1 carat manmade diamond that has a great cut, hearts and arrows, etc, for about $300 a carat. Thats at least 90% less than a real diamond? Tell me why!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, discussing sims is against the rules of the board. But number one, is that these are not man made diamonds but instead completely different substances. They do not have the same optical or chemical properties as a diamond and are not as hard as a diamond. Number two is that you may (or may not) prefer the properties of the diamond over the sim. Number three is that most people want a diamond because we live in a society that values diamonds and traditionally uses them for certain things (like proposing marriage).

Man made diamonds are not cheaper than mined white diamonds. They are chosen by people who object to aspects of the diamond industry, or by people who want a more affordable colored diamond.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No problem! You're not the first to be fooled by people who refer to the sims as "man made diamonds." Someday I'd like to see a discussion of why the industry is so paranoid about people selling cultured stones as mined yet doesn't mind a slew of scammers selling sims as man made diamonds.

If you're interested in real man made diamonds there's a nice subforum, and if you're interested in sims, there's other forums for them.

Asha and moissanite are not sold as "man made diamonds." If you find someone selling a cheap "man made diamond" you can assume it's a cheap as dirt cubic zirconia. There's no reason to sell someone a $300 stone for more than it's worth if you can sell someone a $3 stone for the same amount.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ChristineRose, the problem for the industry that's causing a lot of handwringing is that real manmade diamonds are difficult to separate from mined diamonds. CZ (That's what Asha's are made of) and Moissanite are easy. Even that wouldn't be so bad, the issue isn't with engagement ring type stones, it's with what we call melee. That's the tiny little stones you find on watch bezels, tennis bracelets or around the halo on pre-manufactured rings. Getting lab inspections on this sort of thing is cost prohibitive but it's a setup for a scandal for some maker, say Rolex, to have a client discover years after the fact that a manmade stone had slipped into their manufacturing process.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
There is no reason why you shouldn't as long as your partner is cool with the decision.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But not cz, please, for an engagement ring! I'd far rather have a colored gemstone like a sapphire if a diamond is not possible. But you need to know what your gf wants!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1392954098|3619836 said:
But not cz, please, for an engagement ring! I'd far rather have a colored gemstone like a sapphire if a diamond is not possible. But you need to know what your gf wants!!!
His gf will to kill him after she find out it is a FAKE diamond!... :wink2:

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Not necessarily. She might be totally in favor of it, haha. As has been discussed on here, some people are all about the ring, not (just) the center stone. Over at that other board, there are plenty of women who are quite happy to have a big honker "fake" in an exquisite setting. And those are some gorgeous rings. I own sims and diamonds. I don't have a problem with either. Back in the early days of PS,sims were even discussed here. Lots of PS women bought them for travel rings.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think we're skirting the edge of what's permissible on here but as long as the mods are letting it run, I'm all in, 'cause I find this sort of thing fascinating!

I was delighted when I found that there were old cut sims. I've bought some for test pieces (ie, will Circe like old cut earrings? Survey says YES), and I have one set into a true vintage setting that I adore. Buuuuut ... despite liking the increased fire (er ... apply everything I say to moissanite, as while i find CZ to be a lovely substance the "coated" ones - and their markup - leave me scratching my head), not to mention the cut, I still can't make myself pay full retail for something where I suspect the market is going to drop out in a year when the patent is up.

And on a more emotional level ... it's not the same. The only time I wear the moissanite is when I'm also wearing the diamond: something about having one larger than the sim makes it seem less an attempt to "pass," more a genuine appreciation for their different qualities. I don't think there's anything inherently deceptive in it, but I have no desire to have that particular conversation IRL.

gktops

Rough_Rock
I understand your points, and I wouldn't want my girlfriend to have that conversation with people in real life, either. Which is why I wouldn't be getting a 2+ carat moissanite. If I were to go for a moissanite over a diamond, it would be a 1-1.25 ct moissanite in a vintage/milgrain setting with some small sidestones. If I did go that moissanite route, it would be a believable ring.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Plus, if I were to take the $4500 spent on this ring, OR take $1500 of it and buy a moissanite ring (where we can replace the solitare main diamond later on if we want with a real diamond) and give her another $1000 shopping spree. I think she would pick the latter any day! Especially in our current money crunch (both in graduate school).

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would much rather have a quarter or half carat diamond than a 1 carat moissanite or fake any day of the week.

Also replace your stone with a diamond later, no, diamonds only seem to increase in price so it would cost you more
to buy the same size and quality at that time.

Personal decision ofcourse.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Yes, it may cost a little more. But I will have MONEY then. Haha. I don't have much to spend now.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
gktops|1393184798|3621280 said:
Plus, if I were to take the $4500 spent on this ring, OR take $1500 of it and buy a moissanite ring (where we can replace the solitare main diamond later on if we want with a real diamond) and give her another $1000 shopping spree. I think she would pick the latter any day! Especially in our current money crunch (both in graduate school).
I very much understand being on a budget and even support the thought process you're on but wouldn't the same logic suggest avoiding the $1500 Moissanite and going for the $15 CZ? Alternatively, why not buy a $1500 (or $500) diamond instead of the $1500 Moissanite and upgrade THAT if and when you decide you want to? Lastly, an entirely reasonable option is to avoid the whole thing entirely. Go with a gold or even silver band, and do your upgrade later when your budgets improve.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or, buy a smaller diamond that you can afford now, from a vendor with a lifetime upgrade policy - later, when you are ready to upgrade, you can turn in your 1st diamond for full credit of your original purchase price, to put toward your new diamond. For example, WF has a great lifetime upgrade policy which only requires the upgrade diamond to be of equal or greater value. This way, the funds for the original stone get rolled over 100% to your new stone, instead of taking a loss on whatever non-diamond you might purchase now with the intent of upgrading to diamond later.

gktops

Rough_Rock
These are all really good points. braga, no, not yet. But it's a possibility. I like the three stone, but I dont LOVE it, which I think I need to in order to spend $4500 on it.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
gktops|1393184662|3621278 said:
I understand your points, and I wouldn't want my girlfriend to have that conversation with people in real life, either. Which is why I wouldn't be getting a 2+ carat moissanite. If I were to go for a moissanite over a diamond, it would be a 1-1.25 ct moissanite in a vintage/milgrain setting with some small sidestones. If I did go that moissanite route, it would be a believable ring.[/quoteJust my opinion but i'd rather not have a ring at all if it were a moissanite.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Is that just because its not considered a luxury/is not expensive?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your girlfriend sentimental at all. I love reading posts where people say they have now got a big diamond for an upgrade but they still have their quarter carat diamond and would never sell it, they will give it to a daughter or keep it as it shows where they were at when they got engaged. Maybe this kind of thing would only mean something to her though when she reaches 40 or something. Good to think about though. Ha ha sounds like I'm preaching.:)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think Asha and Moissanite are good options. Asha is just overpriced, coated CZ in my opinion (you can get Wink CZ for much less). And Moissanite usually is cut poorly unless you get the OEC cut. The Amora Gem will be a much better option for folks on a budget, but it is patent blocked in the U.S. until 2015.

I do agree 4,500 is a lot of money to spend on a ring, and you need to absolutely LOVE it. There's no rule that says you have to have a diamond ring. There are lots of other options. You can also get engaged with just a plain platinum or gold band. Had my own husband consulted me, I might have picked something else.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Does anyone else have this problem? The center stone of the 3-stone I have is an ACA 0.773 ct, but I feel like it would look soooooo small on a solitare band. Am I crazy?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393184662|3621278 said:
If I did go that moissanite route, it would be a believable ring.

Huh?
You mean a more-believeable lie.

Men chose real natural diamond when proposing so the gal won't say no … or divorce them later when they find out the deception.

If you and your gal discuss it and decide on a lump of coal for the e-ring that's fine.
Deception is not.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393200588|3621468 said:
Does anyone else have this problem? The center stone of the 3-stone I have is an ACA 0.773 ct, but I feel like it would look soooooo small on a solitare band. Am I crazy?
You are not crazy.
You are normal.

All of us can afford ONLY what we can afford.
Even people who can afford 20-carat diamonds have to come to terms with the fact that they can't afford the 50-carat ones.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393200588|3621468 said:

I have a size 7.25 finger, and I had a 0.76 ct solitaire. It looked very small on me and, to me, unimpressive. Not worth the money. I felt like "why did I spend the money on something so unnoticeable?" Diamonds are small. Even the big ones don't look that big to me anymore.

gktops

Rough_Rock
^ That, right there ^ , is my concern with all of this! Which started my moissanite search, because if I return the 3 stone, my other option would be to keep the center .77 ct diamond in a solitare... But I feel like it will be unnoticeable!! :(

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you could get a nice-sized Amora Gem or just keep the 3 stone. I thought the 3 stone was blingy and impressive.

gktops

Rough_Rock
Here are some more pics, doesn't quite fit on my finger

p2_1.jpg

p1_2.jpg

Here are some more pics I just took... Also, I don't believe they sell amora gems in the US... correct?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results