shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixed Feelings Following Appraisal Results of Antique Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
The snow held off for long enough on Saturday for my appraisal with Martin Fuller as planned!

Firstly, a big thumbs up to Martin
36.gif
- my husband and I were thoroughly impressed with his expertise and his very easy and gracious manner. We were able to watch him working with the microscope as it was hooked up to a digital camera and monitor and he pointed out the inclusions and extra facets. He also answered my many questions throughout the course of the appraisal and we had a very positive dialogue during our hour. Additionally, he allowed (and even encouraged) us to compare our stone to his master set to compare the color for ourselves, in addition to his assessment. It was a very informative session and it may possibly be the best $175 I''ve ever spent!

My mixed feelings come into play because my stone appraised as a 3.08 carat old mine, M-color, SI1 with strong fluorescence (it is blue with a slight hint of green... really cool). I purchased the stone from a very reputable and trustworthy vendor, under the impression that it was of J/K color. The stone faces-up very white, which Martin noted, partly because of the strong fluorescence. It even threw off the colorimeter, which read it as a K. However, I saw for myself, compared to the masters, that from the pavilion, it was definitely not a K. I was not looking for an icy-white stone, and I knew that buying an ungraded stone has it''s risks, but it was hard enough finding an old miner without a report, let alone demanding a GIA or AGS grading report (I did see some EGL-stones that were WAY off from what was stated on the report)...

Don''t get me wrong, I still really like the stone and think it''s beautiful... I''m still within my return period and although I like the stone, part of me thinks I ought to return it on principle. Had it been a K, we got a very good price - $14,500. As an M-colored stone, I''m not so sure.

Martin is doing some additional research and will get back to me on Monday with more pricing info - e.g., whether there is any kind of premium attached to my stone.

Looking at Pscope searches of round cut diamonds (not enough cushions or old miners to compare) that are K SI1 vs M SI1 shows the M stones at a MUCH lower price. I''m planning to at the very least, contact the vendor to let him know the results of the appraisal.

Any advice??

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
M is quite colorful. I''m not sure I''d be pleased either. Good luck; I think you should think long and hard before you keep it. Will you be kicking yourself about this and thinking about it every time you see it for the next decade? If so, it''s worth searching longer--even a lot longer.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Tiger, I''m glad you had a good appraisal experience, although it is disappointing to have the color reduced from a J/K to an M. However, having said that, if you like the way it faces up and the price equates to what it should be as an M, then I would think it''s worthy of consideration. I have pals with great stones in the K-M range and they are delighted with them. If the cut''s good, it faces up right and the price is right on the mark, then don''t dismiss it. BUT, if the price is more in line with a J/K stone, then I would suggest you pass and keep hunting. Patience is a virtue and the stone that speaks to you will come along. Hang in there!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Tiger:

If you love the stone, but feel you may have paid too much due to the J/K vs. M color issue, you may want to send a copy of your Martin Fuller appraisal to the diamond vendor, and ask if they will re-negotiate the price on that basis, rather than returning the stone ...

You sounded so excited about the diamond in your 1st post - - I can''t tell if you''ve considered this option.

I bet the diamond is beautiful - - Good luck!
4.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mini and Browneyes give good advice. It sounds as if you love this diamond and it is a rare treasure to find one of these Old Miners, but I can understand that you are disappointed that the colour didn''t check out as you wished. If you love this diamond in all other respects and could live with it being an M if the price was right then why not see if the vendor would, with a copy of Martin''s appraisal renegotiate the price as BE''s suggested? I think this is what I would do, if you otherwise love it, if not then pass and keep looking.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 7:43:48 AM
Author: BrownEyes
Tiger:

If you love the stone, but feel you may have paid too much due to the J/K vs. M color issue, you may want to send a copy of your Martin Fuller appraisal to the diamond vendor, and ask if they will re-negotiate the price on that basis, rather than returning the stone ...

You sounded so excited about the diamond in your 1st post - - I can''t tell if you''ve considered this option.

I bet the diamond is beautiful - - Good luck!
4.gif

I agree. Sounds like you love the stone so I''d totally try to negotiate so you can keep the stone but also feel like you are getting what you paid for.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can only agree with the ladies above - if you would love the stone as an M after feeling you paid a fair price for an M....then keep it. Show the seller the appraisal and go from there...good luck!

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine searched high and low for a nice OMC.
They are definitely not a dime a dozen, whereas it is becoming easier to find superbly cut rounds brilliants.
I don''t think you can compare the two, pricewise. The stone sounds lovely, definitely contact the vendor regarding the color disparity, perhaps they will knock off some $$ on the price.
Good luck! I''d love to see a pic of this stone. :)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear your appraisal was disappointing. I was following your other thread and was very eager to hear the story. It''s a gorgeous diamond nonetheless. I agree with the others, talk to the diamond seller about getting some money knocked off!

Did take it that jeweler to look at settings yet?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If the diamond was unmounted, I''m wondering why the seller graded it a "K" versus an "M." You should ask the seller what method was used to color
grade the diamond. You''re spending your hard earned money...doesn''t hurt to ask.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I emailed my vendor who thought that the appraisal was harsh and said that he was:

"not going to argue with his grading since it really isn''t fair. [huh?] Regardless it is not a problem. As promised please feel free to send the stone back if you aren''t very very happy with it."

He did make another comment that I was puzzled by, and I''d like an expert to chime in if possible:

"Older stones are traded based on their * face up" color rather than their actual color in a laboratory."
33.gif

Is this true? I had not heard of this before...

So, there is no price re-negotiation to be had, but given the fact that I can still return the stone, the vendor is being entirely fair.

On the bright side, as promised, Martin contacted his friend, Michael Goldstein - an antique stone dealer in NYC, to get a more accurate gague of market pricing for OMCs. The values I was given on Saturday were preliminary (baed on a chart that he had) and Martin said there could be some sort of premium that might come into play, but he needed to do more research.

When we spoke again today to discuss his findings, given the size and cut of my stone, he made a significant upward revision of his initial estimate of the wholesale and consequently, retail value of my M SI1 stone. The new figure is more consistent with what I actually paid, so I''m feeling much better about it.

It is a very beautiful stone and I am very fond of it! The color of the stone wasn''t what bothered me... it was more the feeling that I could possibly be over-paying for it.

So all''s welll ends well.
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh that''s good news tiger. I''m not sure what the vendor meant by saying that about older stones other than many old stones do not have certs and have not been graded by a lab so it''s the opionion of the jeweler to determine color rather than a lab. That would be my guess, hopefully one of the experts will chime in who will know. It is true that beautiful old cuts are hard to come by, especially in the larger sizes b/c many have been recut. I can''t wait to see pictures of you stone
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results