shape
carat
color
clarity

Missing Laser Inscription

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blutoesu

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a 1.17ct F-color SI1 stone, ideal cut, very good polish, very good symmetry, with a medium faceted girdle. The GIA certification slip indicates that there is a laser inscription, but neither I nor the jeweler who sold it to me, could find the inscription on the diamond with the inscription loupe that he used.

We used the digital calipers to confirm the diamonds measurements and it checked out to the hundredth of a mm. The weight checked out as well. And based on my extremely limited ability to look at a diamond, the one larger inclusion seems to be consistent with the GIA diagram.

I called GIA and they said that it is rare that they omit the laser inscription, but that it does happen. The jeweler assures me that it is the diamond. I paid $6,350 for the the diamond set in a 14k white gold ring with .33 ct of side-diamonds.

Any advice, suggestions, etc.? Has anyone heard of this before? Is it possible that the inscription is just so small that the loupe we used cannot enable me to see it?

[email protected]

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Is it possible that the diamond has been re polished? I had a laser inscription on mine that has been polished off because a jeweler did something to it to make it turn white. It had to be re polished & it took off 6 points.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Steve, most times a higher magnification is necessary to see the laser inscription. I have diamond studs that are laser inscribed and can''t see the inscription with my 10X loupe.

blutoesu

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the prompt responses. I will keep you posted on how this turns out. My mission now is to buy a cheap microscope so that I can examine the diamond (hopefully it wasn''t set so the prong is covering the number... if it''s there at all).

pattjin

Rough_Rock
Should all stones with GIA certificates have an inscription or is that optional? I just bought a stone which apparently has no inscription, I was told that when I pick it up, they will measure and check the inclusions.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not all GIA graded diamonds are inscribed. If the report says it is inscribed, then it should be visible with magnification. If it isn''t, have the jeweler return it to GIA for the engraving. They will re-check it to be certain it is the correct diamond before they will engrave it. This will be your assurance of getting the correct stone with the report.

pattjin

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/12/2005 10:32:11 AM
Author: oldminer
Not all GIA graded diamonds are inscribed. If the report says it is inscribed, then it should be visible with magnification. If it isn''t, have the jeweler return it to GIA for the engraving. They will re-check it to be certain it is the correct diamond before they will engrave it. This will be your assurance of getting the correct stone with the report.
Is this a service that they should perform or will it be an extra charge? I have a feeling it''s something they might not want to do though. What are some other options? Should I get the stone appraised independently then? Will the appraiser say that the stone matches the certificate and that''s enough for insurance purposes?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the GIA in Carlsbad California charges $21 for laser inscription of the GIA Report #.

A person at the GIA told me that some girdles are too thin for their laser inscription, or sometimes whoever submitted the stone didn''t choose to pay for laser inscription, especially if there is already another identifying inscription on the girdle.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a GIA report says "laser inscribed" and it isn''t, I would check it out. Not all GIA graded diamonds are inscribed. The report will say it, if it was done. Sure, accidents happen. I suppose it might have been overlooked somehow, but it would set off a warning bell with most of us.

They won''t inscribe the diamond now, if it was omitted in error, without making sure it is the correct diamond. I imagine that while they might want to charge something, they will be forced to verify the correctness of the stone for free, especially if they made a mistake. If they did make a mistake, then you probably don''t need a further appraiser to review it. If they say it isn''t the right diamond, then another appraiser''s opinion won''t mean a whole lot either.

I suggest making sure the report says it is inscribed and re-submit the stone to GIA for them to check out iof there is no inscription present. Other than postage, it probably will be a free service. They don''t do much for free. :)
28.gif

pattjin

Rough_Rock
I was going to have it independently appraised and GemPrinted, that, along with pictures and measurements should be sufficient for identification and insurance purposes?

I''d rather not deal with shipping the stone and all of the risks there. (even if insured, I don''t want to have to shop for another one this soon)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results