shape
carat
color
clarity

Minimum specs for an emerald cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shameless

Rough_Rock
Recommended Clarity grade for emerald cut?

Any more lenient with the prince cut because of the extra facets?

I know there''s no grading for fancy cuts but I''m trying to get a good place to start.

GF didn''t notice color until H... and that was in a setting.
She''s got goood eyes. lol :razz:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2008 9:19:19 AM
Author:Shameless

I know there's no grading for fancy cuts but I'm trying to get a good place to start.

GF didn't notice color until H... and that was in a setting.
She's got goood eyes. lol :razz:
Often with an emerald cut, VS or better is recommended, as the shape may show inclusions more readily than a round for example.

Princess cuts, you can go a bit lower in clarity in some cases, so even some SI clarities may be eyeclean - but you need the opinion of a trusted vendor who has the diamond in hand.

You can use this chart to help you with EC proportions, but please use it as a guide only, as if you get too stuck on the numbers, you could miss out on some beautiful diamonds.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

Here is a chart for Princess, the same applies as with all fancy shapes, use as a guide only.
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc1.asp

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 9:19:19 AM
Author:Shameless

I know there''s no grading for fancy cuts but I''m trying to get a good place to start.

GF didn''t notice color until H... and that was in a setting.
She''s got goood eyes. lol :razz:
The emerald cut diamond is a beautiful shape and favoured by diamond purists as it’s a style of cut that requires a higher quality of colour and clarity than other diamond shapes. The emerald-cut is called a step cut. Step cuts are comprised of larger facets which act like mirrors - this style of cut was originally designed for green emeralds as the large facets shows off colour rather than sparkle

As emerald-cut diamonds tend to be more see-through so they require a higher grade of colour (e.g. D-I) and clarity (usually VS2 and above, SI1 can be OK if the inclusion is small and white and on the side/edge but this is by exception) to avoid seeing any visual body colour or inclusions.

In terms of shape: emerald cut diamonds can vary considerably in how oblong/rectangular they are - SQUARE EMERALD cut diamonds are similar to asscher cut diamonds. In general, each diamond will be different whereas all round brilliant diamonds are round! Hence, I recommend choosing an emerald cut diamond by seeing it in person as each is so individual.

As only 1-2% of all diamonds are cut in the emerald cut shape - at any one time, there are far fewer well-shaped emerald cut diamonds available than round brilliant or princess cut so its best to have some flexibility on carat/colour/clarity so that you can focus on the best SHAPE that pleases her.

Not sure what you mean by your sentence about extra facets?

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hello!

Its different for everyone, but minimum clarity grade for me in an EC is VS2. EC's are not as forgiving as other cuts....meaning they show more body color and are not able to hide inclusions as easily as a well-cut RB, for example. I am also sensitive to color like your gf, so I (personally) would most likely never go below a G-H in a EC. If I were choosing a RB, I would definitely be more flexible with the specs.

I would call a few vendors like ERD and GOG.....give them your specs, and let them find some stones for you.....I personally got my EC from Mark at ERD and he was wonderful to work with. He picked me an awesome stone.

Good luck!!!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results