shape
carat
color
clarity

Minimum Size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jamh

Rough_Rock
I have a debate going with myself about what size to get.

The background is that while I"m still some months (6 at least) away from purchasing anything, there has been a lot of talk and I''ve begun to save up. My girlfriend really liked a tiffany ring with a round cut diamond and channel set accent diamonds. The ring said it was around 2500, which makes me think that it''s either a smallish diamond or not the greatest in terms of quality. I''m not buying from them anyway, because I want to get it from somewhere like Igloo Diamonds who can offer something a bit more ethical.

Anyway. She doesn''t want anything too big. To me that says that I should find one with excellent brilliance instead. The problem with ''not too big'' though is that she doesn''t have slender fingers. I forget what size we''re talking about, perhaps a 6-7, but they''re short fingers. I know that''s going to make the diamond look small, but there''s also the channel set which will help distract from that. Or will it make it look even smaller in comparison?

What are the recommendations for size here people? Big enough to not look silly on larger fingers, but not so big as to be oversize. Is that .7 carat? 6mm? 1 carat?

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Can you find & post a picture of the ring she likes?
That would help.

You are right, I've seen a 1 carat solitaire look small on a size 8 finger.
But with the right setting, I am sure a smaller size stone can be flattering on any size finger (and I don't think 6-7 is really THAT big).

Basically, I think you need to cover the finger, one way or another.

I went on a stealth misson to Tiffany last weekend to study the famous Tiffany craftsmanship.

I tried on the Etoile and felt it looked best on me with a half carat stone.
That was the proportion that flattered my hand.

So, it's a matter of finding proprotions that flatter.
IMHO, of course.
2.gif

dbgaaptifetoile.jpg

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I have a channel set and I think it is flattering.
Is she set on the round shape? Marquise and oval tend to show largest for their weight and are flattering, too. There is a phenomenon called "shrinkage" that makes a rock appear smaller after wearing a while-a mental thing. So, in my humble opinion, you should maximize your shape for the money. You''ll get the benefit of a larger looking rock, with nice quality. I wear size 6 and love my emerald shape princess, because it is unusual and slimming. If you purchase from a place that allows upgrades, then you can always change any of your parameters down the road. julia

diamond_quester

Shiny_Rock
That Tiffany style is so gorgeous and classic. I think the channel-set sides are great for larger fingers, to fill in any excess space at the sides. Considering the range of sizes you are looking at for the center stone, I'd say don't worry too much about the exact size. Look at well-cut diamonds, get the largest you can within your budget. 1ct is a pleasing size for any finger and going down a little (or up a little) won't make a huge difference.

Two PS vendors - Excel diamonds and WF - carry nice versions of that Tiffany setting as well as suitable diamonds. ETA: The Excel version has a 4mm band, more substantial than others.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!

I'd say the best thing to do is to get a substantial ring -- more metal. Similar to the etoile or even the lucida style.

Size 7 isn't a "large" finger, but it can look too large for the ring if you get one with a really thin band or if you get a size too small so that her finger looks "pinched."

That always looks painful! I love the styles posted here. Your center stone size looks great. How about adding a few smaller ones on the side to maximize sparkle? Lots of people save by getting a smaller center stone with lots of side stones -- which is much cheaper than getting one big rock. And oftentimes, it looks just as pretty if not prettier!

jamh

Rough_Rock
Yes yes I do have a sample, good idea!

Given that she has said that in fact this is the ring she wanted I think I should stick to it. I figure I'll have a local jeweler create the actual ring for me, but I wanted to purchase the diamond. Her mother has already offered my some sidestones to use (she's a tad eager).

ring_sample31337_2.jpg

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome.

There is no minimum on size. That''s fabricated by DeBeers, IMHO.

The only reason the Tiffany was $2500 was it had to be a small diamond. Tiffany doesn''t sell cheap or inferior stones, period. They get a bad rap most of the time, but the reality is they have some of the nicest, most beautiful diamond rings available at a B & M store. Most people can do better pricewise, IF they take the time to research and shop online with a reputable vendor, such as one can find on PS. Vendors, such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Winfields are three that come to mind who are highly regarded here.

Get the size your fiance wants and get the type of setting she has already shown you. Just make sure you put cut cut cut before anything else and you are likely to do the right thing.

Good Luck........

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
size 6: 16.5 mm diameter
size 7: 17.3 mm diameter

Golden ratio approx=1.618 found in nature, used in art, "divine proportion"

finger diameter/ (finger diameter-diamond diameter)=1.618

for a size 6 finger, I rec a 6.3 mm diamond
31.gif
37.gif

thunkpad

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 3:56:43 PM
Author: JulieN

Golden ratio approx=1.618 found in nature, used in art, ''divine proportion''

31.gif
37.gif
Who in the world came up with that?!
10.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, show me how you did that math!!

And i thought I''d never need Algebra again!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 3:56:43 PM

Golden ratio approx=1.618 found in nature, used in art, ''divine proportion''

31.gif
37.gif
Ooh...how''d you do that? I''m trying to figure it out by my brain ain''t working. What do you recommend for a size 3.5 finger?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
size six finger, 6.3mm diamond? where''s DF with his rules when you need him.

my new stone is going to be 8.6mm and even that ain''t large enough.
39.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phi, 1.6180339887, or the golden ratio, is found in the spiral of mollusk shells and sunflowers, and even the shape of galaxies. It's supposed to be used in "Mona Lisa" "Sacrament of the Last Supper" and the great Pyramids. Euclid, Da Vinci, Picasso... It is the most beautful/aesthetically pleasing ratio.

I've actually used the ratio of finger width to finger "real estate" left AFTER the diamond is on. To get the MAX size someone can wear, I use the ratio of finger width to the diamond; I get 10.07mm diamond for a size 6.

So, Mara, you're a size 6 or abouts, right? The 10 mm, 3 ct will also be a ratio of 1.618, so I think it'll be perfectly proportionate!
19.gif

Logan Sapphire, your golden ratio diamond is 5.54 mm, and I know you have a half-carater!
36.gif

This is all meant to be fun and games, but I think it's no coincidence that a 6.5 mm 1 ct is the "ideal" for many people, and the average woman is a size 6 finger.

Dilbert

Rough_Rock
or you could play with the ideal waist to hip ratio of 0.7 , scientific studies suggest that men are automatically attracted to women with that particular waist to hip ratio

riogems

Shiny_Rock
It was probably $2500 for the ring (not including the center diamond) -- you may want to check that. Where did you see the ring? on their website?

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, I'm pretty sure Tiffany sells their rings as a unit. They don't quote you a setting price only. $2500 sounds like a steal, btw!

If you want a bigger center stone or one with different specs for a certain ring, they do a nationwide search -- find a ring with those specs or one closest to the one you want in one of their stores and have it shipped to a Tiffany in your city.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dilbert: finger diameter/ (finger diameter-diamond diameter)=1.618

size 6: finger diameter=16.5, diamond=6.3, finger diameter-diamond=10.2

now watch: (finger diameter-diamond diameter)/diamond=10.2/6.3=1.62!! Golden ratio again!
6.gif

Can''t do that with .7
9.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 8:21:01 PM

Logan Sapphire, your golden ratio diamond is 5.54 mm, and I know you have a half-carater!
36.gif

This is all meant to be fun and games, but I think it''s no coincidence that a 6.5 mm 1 ct is the ''ideal'' for many people, and the average woman is a size 6 finger.

Thanks! My ering is a .78ct, so I''m extra happy!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
jamh, when I first read your post, I thought you were referring to a tiffany-style solitaire. I didn't realize you were referring to Tiffany & Co. jewelry store.
Well, like others have said, $2,500 will buy you a ring with a very small center stone - a quarter carat if you're lucky.
The half carat Etiole I tried on was $5,900.

And yes they only sell their rings as a complete package- no bartering there I guess.

Now about this perfect proportion concept, jeez that just messes with my head!!
My upgrade diamond is right around 7mm.
How does that measure up on a size 6.5 finger?

Tell me it isn't so! My diamond will be too big? Or, WAY too small if I flip the ratio???? oy
I am so upset
39.gif

9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe i am soo cracking up here...this stuff is great. the golden ratio!!

Gabe

Rough_Rock
Yep, I think Adam is right. In my understanding, The prices found on Tiffany''s website does not include the stone... just a really, really nice band :)

-Gabe

riogems

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for searching that out for me. I was wondering about it. The reason being that I figured you had looked on the website. I have perused the site before, and it was clear that some of the rings could not include the cost of a center diamond while others I was uncertain (some rings have pictured with at least 2-3ct white diamond photo-clean). I''d figure you can find a local jeweler or someone online who will make you a similar ring for 1/3 - 1/2 the price. You will also need to determine if you want to make it even cheaper - (white gold vs platinum / or what size/quality of accent diamonds).

I don''t know about about diamonds online, but I looked at Igloo -- interesting concept. I believe Tiffany is trying to sell "ethical" diamonds too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/6/2006 9:42:18 PM
Dilbert: finger diameter/ (finger diameter-diamond diameter)=1.618

size 6: finger diameter=16.5, diamond=6.3, finger diameter-diamond=10.2

now watch: (finger diameter-diamond diameter)/diamond=10.2/6.3=1.62!! Golden ratio again!
6.gif

Can''t do that with .7
9.gif
6.gif
i know the "basic rules" never heard of this one.
33.gif
Wednesday,Thursday,Friday!!!

kevinyonker

Rough_Rock
That''s an interesting calculation to determine diamond size. Large well cut diamonds really wow me
30.gif
(bling, bling). However, I agree that using Phi to determine diamond size as related to finger size would visually give a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here''s the basic rule again...

for e-ring....(center stone only)
you can go up to a 2.5 rb if your ring size is 3.5 or....4ct if your ring size is 5; 5ct if size 6 etc,etc. and for fancy cuts you can go up to your ring size

for earrings studs .....75% ctw of your e-ring "center stone".

for solitaire pendant .....50% the weight of your e-ring "center stone"

for bracelet.....3 X the weight of your e-ring "center stone"

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2006 7:09:02 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
here's the basic rule again...

for e-ring....(center stone only)

you can go up to a 2.5 rb if your ring size is 3.5 or....4ct if your ring size is 5; 5ct if size 6 etc,etc. and for fancy cuts you can go up to your ring size

i know it's been asked before, but where did you get these rules DF
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
must of been 2 yrs ago
20.gif
in a jewelry magazine.
34.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Can someone do the math for me? I am horrible at math.

I wear a size 8 ring, what size is my golden ratio stone?
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results