shape
carat
color
clarity

mid-century engagement ring: keep or sell?

fel

Shiny_Rock
This is a ring I inherited, that dates back to the 1950's. The center stone, judged while set, is a RB 7.34 x 7.3 x app 4.5mm, est 1.50ct, I/J, VS2 although it would be a VVS2 if some surface blemishes near girdle from wear were buffed out.

It has a thick bruted girdle. Light return to my eye seems excellent -- it is much brighter than other diamonds I have seen. I am not so sure however, on how it does with fire.

Anyway with the high prongs it is much more ostentatious than I prefer -- I actually love deco style (geometric) low profile OEC rings with bezels. On the other hand, if I were to lower the height of the center diamond prongs and put a bezel around it, perhaps it would be more my style. In fact, I could put a shaped (square or hexagon) bezel around it and it might look rather geometric. The outline of the ring is very unusual as it is designed to rest near one's lower finger towards the knuckle almost like a pendant around the finger.

If I were to sell it I understand I would at best get a fraction of the value.

Thoughts? would you keep it or sell it?

Fel

_29646.jpg

rb2.jpg

rb3.jpg

_29647.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you wouldn't wear as is, I'd figure out how to reset the stones and scrap the metal or to sell as a ring. Perhaps a consignment place, such as JBG, would be a good place to see if it'll sell at all. No use keeping something in the jewelry box.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Reset the center stone and use the sidestones to make a unique dbty bracelet or necklace. Sell the metal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reset it.

fel

Shiny_Rock
So you all think the diamond is a keeper even though I prefer OECs?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd keep it for sure! But - as much as I appreciate the uniqueness of the setting, I'd probably re-set it. To my eye, the setting doesn't flow well and seems a little forced.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Keep it & reset it into a setting more your style. Lioness had a great idea to repurpose the other stones into a bracelet or necklace. :clap:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What a lovely inheritance! I'd keep it.

Sky's the limit with centre stone, but with marquise I'd reset them into Tiffany Victoria-esque style earrings. :))

cheers--Sharon

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Rockinruby|1430182798|3868727 said:
Keep it & reset it into a setting more your style. Lioness had a great idea to repurpose the other stones into a bracelet or necklace. :clap:

Thank you, Rockinruby. The jewelry designer locked away inside of me is beaming.

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
unrelated to your question, what stones are in the band you had on with the ring in the first two photos?

fel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll consider keeping the diamond and putting it in a setting I like. I think first I will polish out the blemishes at a diamond cutter's to return it to VVS2.

Any suggestions for someone to do this in the Philly area?

For the marquis setting -- I was thinking of keeping that too and perhaps putting a much smaller stone in it. I love the idea of turning those diamonds into earnings (it would be perfect) but alas I don't wear earrings anymore as any weight there irritates my ears. I have a little turquoise colored cushion sapphire I picked up in India -- I thought that might look nice in the setting if I adapted it to be lower profile. My thought is that the diamond is just too tall for the this ring style. The cushion is rather flat.

_29695.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
In answer to edelweissmaedl's question, that band is platinum and carre cut rubies. It used to be owned by Circe. I wear it everyday.

Fel

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I am a huge fan of keeping the original setting even if you reset the diamonds.... You never know if you will want to put the stones back in it, if your kids/brothers/sisters/nieces/etc will fall in love and want the setting in the future. It is a beautiful diamond :).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results