shape
carat
color
clarity

Microscope - which kind to view diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Ok, call me nuts,
40.gif
but after a long extensive search I purchased the diamond of my dreams and presented it to my girlfriend. We both love looking at the diamond and it has an incription on the girdle. We can''t see the incription and the inclusions with the loupe that came with the diamond, so for the fun of it I decided to buy an inexpensive microscope (probably on ebay)

When searching, I find all kinds of microscopes. What kind do I need? A "stereo" scope? Once I get it, how do I position the ring so that it will stay in place for us to view? This isn''t like looking at some amoeba in a slide.
34.gif

I was hoping some of you appraisal types could help. I really don''t want to spend much on the scope. Thanks.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey countryboy,
have you tried getting a stronger loupe? the ones the come with the diamond are usually 10x. i can see an inscription with a 10x if i try really hard, but it is much easier with a 20x. you can also get them in 30x & 40x if you really want higher magnification.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For viewing a gem you need a darkfield illumination with stereo viewing lenses. A pair of tweezers will do for holding the diamond, but most likely a microscope for gem viewing will come with a stone holder.

Wink

Roughdealer

Rough_Rock
If youre not a Gemologist , is very useless and expensive to use a microscope. You can find a jewerly loupe of 20X , 30X , and will spend no more than $50 , even more Sir , is no the magnification Power that mk you dont commit mistakes, if you do not have the proper training and experience , invest this 2K ( the cost of a gem micro) in mk a Basic Diamond Course and begin to gain Real Expertise. Is banned 4 trade use more 10X loupes , but certainly , mos "Untrained" traders, often beguinners use to use a 60X magnifier in a microscope to "heal" this low experience , but a seriouS diamantaire/appraiser/GG or so never use a Micro unless there in front an Special Case ( a 200 ct stone , Colored stone, a ruby , etc etc). I suggest u : Save a real fortune and buy an Inexpensive 20X.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results