shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal choice- M marquise

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
In the first pic, it looks best against the penny. Thing is, the color isn't accurate in the change pictures. Your skin tone is different in them as well.

In the second pic, where the the stone is in the settings, I prefer it in the yellow gold.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_chris|1420303538|3811315 said:
In the first pic, it looks best against the penny. Thing is, the color isn't accurate in the change pictures. Your skin tone is different in them as well.

In the second pic, where the the stone is in the settings, I prefer it in the yellow gold.
Well,they are accurate, as they haven't been doctored at all, and they are the color I saw at the time.

As for a comparison, it is apt, as though the skin tone is different. That is the accurate color I saw, as they were taken at the same time in the same location. The skin may not be the same, but the color reflected in the stone is, and that's what I'm displaying there
But thanks for your opinion. Nice to see a yellow gold vote.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the RG! I like the idea of the combination of the marquise and the somewhat newer look of the RG. Just a cool combination IMO. And as the years pass if you get tired of the rg you can always reset to yg. My only thought is you mentioned you'd like to get a Tiffany twist band at some point, and I think that would look best with the YG setting. Can't go wrong either way, whatever you decide will look lovely on you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1420304098|3811320 said:
I like the RG! I like the idea of the combination of the marquise and the somewhat newer look of the RG. Just a cool combination IMO. And as the years pass if you get tired of the rg you can always reset to yg. My only thought is you mentioned you'd like to get a Tiffany twist band at some point, and I think that would look best with the YG setting. Can't go wrong either way, whatever you decide will look lovely on you!
Yeah, if I got it in rose gold I'd have to give up that dream of a tiffany twist. BUT, maybe that's not the worst thing, as they are very expensive for what they are..

I agree with you a mq in rose gold has a sort of "new approach" feel to it.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I love warm metals, my great grandmother wore a rose gold wedding ring. I would absolutely go with that option and wear a rose gold twisty band from etsy!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I think your stone looks brighter in the rose gold setting, if that's what you are after (i.e. making it look a tad whiter). I love the brushed yellow gold on the JbG ring though - it's just sensational. What a gorgeous ring!!! And I do think the NSEW prong setting will make it look more modern.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1420319339|3811423 said:
I think your stone looks brighter in the rose gold setting, if that's what you are after (i.e. making it look a tad whiter). I love the brushed yellow gold on the JbG ring though - it's just sensational. What a gorgeous ring!!! And I do think the NSEW prong setting will make it look more modern.
I agree the brushed metal is lovely. I wonder if I'd want to do that with rose?

Thanks so much everyone who took the time to answer. Keep them coming. I plan to ship my stone next week assuming I hear back from my insurance about the stone

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still think rg...but if you're going to do unplated wg head...what about doing the whole thing in unplated wg? ETA I know you had posted earlier that wg was never an option, I just thought I'd throw out the unplated b/c it looks so different. I've had people ask me if mine is yg or rg, depending on the lighting. Nobody (around here anyway) understands that wg typically has the rhodium on it so they can't figure it out I guess.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1420325901|3811468 said:
I still think rg...but if you're going to do unplated wg head...what about doing the whole thing in unplated wg?

I don't like white metals for solitaires. My 5 stone is unplated white, but only because so much of it is made of the prongs and baskets, it just made sense to do the whole thing white. Plus, the white pairs really well with the wedding band.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also am one to like, or at least not mind a bit, the head and shank being different colors.
The white is more so just to keep the stone whitest, in general white metal kinda bores me, so that's just why it wasn't. But you're right, if I went 18k, it would get a totally different look, like yours... But I think at that point I want yellow or rose because the warmth is unique (at least where I live) and looks better on me.

Here's an example of two tone head/shank. I think ita fairly seamless. This picture also makes me want the matte finish :think: :love:

uploadfromtaptalk1420326580086.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love brushed finish. Sooo I vote brushed and rg. Ta da!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1420327723|3811475 said:
I love brushed finish. Sooo I vote brushed and rg. Ta da!
Haha! Perfect thanks.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1420326583|3811471 said:
I also am one to like, or at least not mind a bit, the head and shank being different colors.
The white is more so just to keep the stone whitest, in general white metal kinda bores me, so that's just why it wasn't. But you're right, if I went 18k, it would get a totally different look, like yours... But I think at that point I want yellow or rose because the warmth is unique (at least where I live) and looks better on me.

Here's an example of two tone head/shank. I think ita fairly seamless. This picture also makes me want the matte finish :think: :love:

I love this ring! Would you consider setting it E-W? I have this exact type of setting on my ever-growing-I-want-everything PS wish list :Up_to_something: I know that you said you're doing N-S, but this is so yummy! Either way do the shank brushed :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1420329529|3811488 said:
Niel|1420326583|3811471 said:

I love this ring! Would you consider setting it E-W? I have this exact type of setting on my ever-growing-I-want-everything PS wish list :Up_to_something: I know that you said you're doing N-S, but this is so yummy! Either way do the shank brushed :))

For the longest time I assumed I'd get an E/W marquise.

Here's the problem, the mq is 6mm wide, my e ring center stone is 6.1... Then the taper of the mq and the graduation of my e ring is similar.

Even though ita completely different, I feel like the finger coverage at a glance would look exactly the same.

I'm getting really into the brushed/matte finish. I was concerned that if I didn't do it in the head- but on that ring the head is shiny and it looks fine.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I think the rose gold would look wonderful with your skin tone and the diamond as well. I can't wait to see the finished ring.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Niel :wavey:

Did you decide? Love your marquise and kept checking back.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose|1421097535|3815409 said:

I actually decided yellow gold. Which was hard because I know a lot of you guys thought rose would be better. But jon at gog said originally he felt yellow gold would make it look whiter. Then I sent it off to dk and he said he thinks yellow gold with a white head would be best. And sense those are the only two vendors who have seen the stone and held it in hand with other metals, I feel like I trust their judgment. Plus, I really do like yellow better. Means I can get that twist eventually. :naughty:

I've already told him I wanted a matte finish. I hear I'm getting drawing today.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I'm sure that it will be lovely! Can't wait to see:)

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1421098289|3815412 said:

I actually decided yellow gold. Which was hard because I know a lot of you guys thought rose would be better. But jon at gog said originally he felt yellow gold would make it look whiter. Then I sent it off to dk and he said he thinks yellow gold with a white head would be best. And sense those are the only two vendors who have seen the stone and held it in hand with other metals, I feel like I trust their judgment. Plus, I really do like yellow better. Means I can get that twist eventually. :naughty:

I've already told him I wanted a matte finish. I hear I'm getting drawing today.

YESSSSSSSS! So glad you chose yellow gold. I didn't weigh in on this thread bc I feel like I'm boring with my yg obsession. I think matte or brushed will be awesome, how wide will the shank be?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1421100028|3815423 said:

YESSSSSSSS! So glad you chose yellow gold. I didn't weigh in on this thread bc I feel like I'm boring with my yg obsession. I think matte or brushed will be awesome, how wide will the shank be?

Gah I don't know. I was thinking 2.1, maybe 2.2... But I need some cads to visualize the width in relation to the center stone.

PS I never tire of your yellow gold obsession!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I actually keep coming back to yellow gold for this, so I was glad to see that was your choice!! I LURVE the JbG ring - it's just gorgeous. That brushed satin yellow gold is so LUSH!!

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
Yellow gold is beautiful, I am sure you will love it.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1421100485|3815428 said:

Gah I don't know. I was thinking 2.1, maybe 2.2... But I need some cads to visualize the width in relation to the center stone.

I think it's a good idea that you're not going with a super thin shank and using brush/matte finish (it's not a bad idea either). I like when brush/matte finishes on rings are noticeable. I've tried a couple of super thin brushed style rings on and, to me, it's barely noticeable. With a slightly thicker shank, you'll be able to appreciate that detail. Hope I'm making sense.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1421104183|3815442 said:
Niel|1421100485|3815428 said:

I think it's a good idea that you're not going with a super thin shank and using brush/matte finish (it's not a bad idea either). I like when brush/matte finishes on rings are noticeable. I've tried a couple of super thin brushed style rings on and, to me, it's barely noticeable. With a slightly thicker shank, you'll be able to appreciate that detail. Hope I'm making sense.

No that totally makes sense. Plus, its hard becuase the length is like 11.5, so I want to make sure that the shank doesn't look too skinny when compared to the length.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Great choice. I am a yellow gold lover and this this will be beautiful, fresh, elegant and modern. I also definitely think you are going for what you love, I was a little relieved bc I feared you'd regret rg. Looking forward to seeing your ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results