shape
carat
color
clarity

Memoire ring sizing question... need some clarification. sending ring back tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
My fiancee''s Memoire purity collection engagement ring (eternity ring) needs to be resized. it is currently size 5.25 and is a bit loose; the center stone turns side to side while on her finger and she can pull the ring off with little effort.

Here are my questions -

1. How much of a difference can my fiancee expect going for a size 5.25 to 5.125? Or even 5.25 to size 5?

2. If the ring is resized for a smaller size is there a possibility that the same ring can be sized back up at a later time? i.e. pregnancy or weight gain etc...

Memoire has offered 2 options -

option 1 - they are willing to put in sizing beads themself which will not void the warranty

option 2 (recommended by memoire) - they are willing to resize the ring from size 5.25 to 5.125 or size 5. this will not require the diamonds from the eternity band to be removed. nor will the spacing between any of the diamonds be different on the shared prongs. it will most likely look untouched and perfect.. it is memoire ;-) this is what i got from pearlmans as they are helping me with this.

im leaning towards option #2 but wanted to get everyones insight and input. my main concerns and the concerns of my fiancee are that she doesnt want the ring to come back too tight because she doesnt want or like that feeling. does anyone think or know if going from a size 5.25 which is currently kinda loose to a size 5 will be too tight? the other concern is that would she be able to go back up a size if necessary with the same ring?

lastly, ive asked this in another thread but has anyone had their memoire ring resized? if so how did it turn out?

Thanks!!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
If you have any doubts that it may need to be sized up later on, I would definitly not do it. Do the sizing beads, they are removable and it is a near guarantee that if you decide to have kids that her fingers will swell (retaining water, most women have this problem). It seems like a costly thing to resize it multiple times, not to mention you may eventually lose the integrity of the ring.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
The canary ring in my avatar is a size 5.5. In hot weather it is tight because I''m prone to swelling, but in the winter it gets so loose that the stone won''t stay up and actally wants to fall upside down. So I had two sizing beads put in and that holds it in place perfectly (although hard to take off my finger in the summer)! You can get them in different sizes or quantities.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think going down to 5 might be a good idea. chances are it won''t be a big enough difference to feel snug, just a bit tighter. I''m going through the same thing with my ring. I wear a 3 1/2 but was worried the ring would be to tight so I had it made in a 3.75. it spins like crazy and bothers me and I wish I went with the 3.5. We''re in the middle of summer and even outside in the heat it''s loose.

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/9/2008 11:38:50 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I think going down to 5 might be a good idea. chances are it won''t be a big enough difference to feel snug, just a bit tighter. I''m going through the same thing with my ring. I wear a 3 1/2 but was worried the ring would be to tight so I had it made in a 3.75. it spins like crazy and bothers me and I wish I went with the 3.5. We''re in the middle of summer and even outside in the heat it''s loose.
i have the ring with me now.. im going to need to send it back to pearlmans regardless to get something done.. i can have my fiancee go to jewelers and try on size 5 rings n get resized while the ring is in transit to pearlmans. by then we''ll know what size we need to go down to.. size 5 might be the best option..

i think going from 5.25 to 5.125 wont do anything..

i dont know how i feel about the sizing beads..

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don''t worry yourself over a 1/4 size difference. There is a lack of total standardization in ring sizing tools, so there is some leeway no matter what you ask for. Try on the 5 and see if it is okay or a bit tight. If tight, and 5.5 is too loose, then you need the 5 1/4. If 5 is good, then just do the 5. If a ring can be sized down 1/2 size now, it can be sized up to 5.5 later on without consequences.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
All I can add is, I recently had a new head put on a solitaire setting. Somehow just changing from a 6- to a 4-prong head apparently changed the ring size from 5.25 or so down to 5. I could feel the difference immediately. It did go over my knuckle, so I thought, maybe I'll give the new size a try. But in the morning, which is most often when I want to put my ring on, it would barely go over the knuckle. It was such a dramatic difference from just that quarter size difference. Even though, technically it fit (most of the time), it very quickly was bothering my knuckle,and I knew it would quickly wear a callous on my knuckle due to it. I went back and they resized it back up to a 5.25, and it fits so much better now. I wore a size 5 (by jeweler's mistake) during my engagement, and almost always had a callous on my knuckle. For the past 5 years I've worn a 5.25 w/ no problem. Incidentally, both rings did spin at times, so the smaller size did not eliminate spin. And the 5.25 is in no danger of falling off at all.

ETA: My wedding ring, which is 4mm wide, is a size 5.5. It fits just right, but if my e-ring (which is tapered - 2.6mm widest, tapering down - in other words, a thin shank) were a size 5.5, it would be way too big. I find the tiniest differences noticeable. When I ordered my wedding band, the jeweler mistakenly got a 5mm wide band, size 5.5, and it was too tight to put on in the morning, whereas the 4mm band has no problem at that size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results