shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise Cuts and Sarin Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jay Lobb

Rough_Rock
Hello and thanks for reading my first post.

I've identified a marquise cut diamond and have requested/received the Sarin Proportions report for it. I've seen the HCA on Pricescope, but can't seem to find any information on marquise sarin numbers. Does anyone have a link to a site with more information? Or for those of you that have an affection for numbers and want to take a shot at telling me what I might have, here goes...

0.74 carat
E Color
SI1 Clarity (eye clean, so I'm told)
Depth % 60.6
Table % 63
Symmetry Very Good
Polish Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

Width: 4.90 mm
Lenght: 9.02 mm
Table vs. Girdle: 0.07
Culet vs. Girdle: 0.03
Culet vs. Table: 0.07
Avg Total Depth: 2.97 mm
Avg Table Width: 3.09 mm
Avg Crown Angle: 33.7
Avg Crown Height: 0.61 mm
Avg Pavil. Angle: 40.9
Avg Pavil. Depth: 2.11 mm
Avg Girdle Thickness: 0.15 mm

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Dave Atlas from AGA, Oldminer here on Pricescope, has developed some starting point guidelines for fancy shapes. You can see them and a disscussion of fancy shapes here on pricescope "https://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc3.asp" or on Dave's website.

Also try and do a search on this forum and you will find some more info.

Rook

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
On fancy cuts the numbers ( proportions ) are not dependably predictable relevant to its quality of appearance and light return.

There are "dead stones" with great numbers, and great looking stones with less than the "suggested" parameters.

Its a stone by stone call and no one can tell you anything reliable without seeing the stone and doingthe relevant testing procedures.

Rockdoc

Jay Lobb

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rook and RockDoc. I've looked at the sites you referenced already and feel the diamond has made the first cut (pardon the pun) given the data posted there.

I had hoped that there was more that could be told from the Sarin Report than just the Depth and Table percentages. Otherwise, why have a Sarin analysis done if the numbers don't have any relevance? I already had the Depth/Table numbers, and the girdle description, but I asked for a Sarin analysis just so I could get more (i.e., better) data.

From what you are telling me, the Sarin numbers have no bearing on a purchase decision, since no one can tell me if they're good or bad.

Or is there still hope that the Sarin numbers actually mean something...?

Thanks!:wavey:

Rook

Shiny_Rock
You need the sarin numbers as an indication of the diamonds potential. Why it is true that some fancies can have good numbers and be poor performers and some can have bad numbers and be good performers, if you have good numbers, you have better odds at it being a good performer. With the sarin info you can do a few things.
1) class it into the AGA classes. Thus giving you an indication of how it will perform compared to others.

2)Tell you if the crown is too thin or the pavillion is too thick. Thus telling you if the diamond will be flat and lifeless or have potential to crack.

3)gives you a more accurate reading of the girdle. IE. 5% as opposed to thick.

Of course you still need to have the diamond check by and independant and view it for yourself to really know if it's the diamond for you. BUT the Sarin will help weed out diamonds that are little potential.

You also may want to see if you can get other information. IE. brilliantscope, idealscope, pictures, magnification pictures, ect.

Jay Lobb

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rook. I appreciate the response and I'll let you know if I get it and what I think of it.

Have a good holiday.:))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results