shape
carat
color
clarity

Marks on Cartier 1895 Solitaire ring??

rokung

Rough_Rock
I bought this Cartier 1895 ring in US a couple of months ago, but only realise today that there are TWO 'marks'/'dents?' on the outside of the ring (near bottom), one on each side.

Are those marks there on purpose?

Isn't this supposed to be 'plain' and 'smooth' platinum ring?

Getting really nervous about this.

Much appreciated for all your helps.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
The French hallmark their rings on the outside of the band rather than the inside like we do, if you look closely it's probebly a little eagals head and a makers mark for Cartier. Is this what your seeing? If it is that's totally normal.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Mike R|1332224247|3152622 said:
The French hallmark their rings on the outside of the band rather than the inside like we do, if you look closely it's probebly a little eagals head and a makers mark for Cartier. Is this what your seeing? If it is that's totally normal.
The eagle's head is for gold (18K). The French platinum hallmark is a dog's head (looks like a greyhound to me, but couldn't be sure.)

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I have a Platinum 1895 Cartier solitaire bought in Paris and it also has a mark on the outside of the ring (at the bottom). It surprised me at first but it's indeed a hallmark...I agree that it looks kind of weird but it's probably been like that ever since this ring was created in the 19th century.

I hope you enjoy your ring ;-)

rokung

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone.

Almost had a heart attack.

It does look weird and out of 'common sense' why they would do that. It's so hard to see what it is from the naked eyes. But I'm 99.9% sure those are hallmarks you're talking about.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results