shape
carat
color
clarity

Making a round stone into a halo...plain or diamond shank??

sporty

Rough_Rock
My husband bought me a round stone which he set as a "novo" but for some reason I never loved the look of the solitaire. I always think that I would like it better if it was a cushion set as a novo but not a round.
However I thought to sell it and get a cushion we'd end up taking a loss on it and not getting for it what we paid and probably needing to downgrade size due to that. So since I should stick with the round, I decided I would rather it be halo'd.

Now my question is - plain shank or diamond shank. Either it's going to look like a Harry Winston (with a round stone/round halo) or should I skip the pave on shank and go plain.

I want to wear the ring out and not feel like it's too dressy for jeans.....

As far as wedding band, I have a plain white gold band which if I did plain shank, I could wear them together.

I never heard of plain shank on a halo till I saw someone with it a few weeks ago and it was so nice. But the Harry Winston is stunning and really special and important looking....

team pandas

Rough_Rock
Re: Making a round stone into a halo...plain or diamond shan

Personally I prefer a diamond shank. I have a diamond shank and its fine for every day wear.

emcee

Rough_Rock

Plain shank! I like that it's not too over the top while still having the beauty of a halo. They're also more unique, and I personally love the non-matchy look of a plain band halo with a pave wedding band.

Here are some of my favorites:
https://www.artofplatinum.com/vault/halo-ring-mounting
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/glamour-shots-of-my-bgd-pink-tourmaline.169270/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/glamour-shots-of-my-bgd-pink-tourmaline.169270/[/URL]

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I've gone back and forth between preferring a plain shank and a pave shank. Today I prefer a pave shank, especially if you are going to wear your plain wedding band with it. I agree with emcee that I like when it doesn't look matchy matchy, and you can clearly see that you are wearing two separate rings.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

Diamond shank for me!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'd vote plain shank because it is dangerous to size pave shanks. Also, I think it would look better with your plain wedding band. If I were doing a halo on a round stone, I would make the halo cushion shaped. I thought I'd mention that since you said you might like a cushion.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1351166994|3292007 said:
I'd vote plain shank because it is dangerous to size pave shanks. Also, I think it would look better with your plain wedding band. If I were doing a halo on a round stone, I would make the halo cushion shaped. I thought I'd mention that since you said you might like a cushion.

DS makes an excellent point and many don't consider this until it is too late and you've made a costly mistake. Pave is dangerous to re -size and not always the best choice for everyone depending on how you plan to wear your ering. If you want to wear it everyday, shower, cook clean, etc without taking your ring off then you are probably better off not even haloing your stone. But if you don't mind doing a bit of babying then you will probably be fine. Keep in mind that no matter how careful you are or diligent in having the pave checked,it's likely that you will lose a melee at some point. It's the nature of the pave beast! ;)) If you have weight changes that affect your ring size, or if you plan on starting a family and hope to wear your ring during pregnancy then pave may not be the best option either. Just some things to consider. :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have a plain shank and I love that I can pair it with just about any band. Has low maintenance. Never have to worry about sizing it.

Plain shank gets my vote too.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock

I think halos look good both ways, but lately I am partial to plain shanks. Especially plain but split shanks that grow gracefully up to meet the halo. Anyway, good luck with your project!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

plain!! I think they can "dress up or down"
also i think they bring more attention to the center stone, IMO.
Plus they are more unique i think. You see less of them out IRL

sporty

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone. So I should mention I do have an eternity wedding band but any ring I get whether diamond or plain shank would have to be worn on opposite hand. But I also have a plain band so for everyday I could do a halo with a plain band and then on dressy occasions wear my band with the ring on different hands.

I honestly don't know what to do!

My ring right now is a copy of the novo. I dont like the way the round looks in it. It is set very high - I wonder if I should stick with the solitaire round on a diamond band but not set like a novo, set lower down. Has anyone seen that/have pics? I love how low and flat the Harry Winston is.

sporty

Rough_Rock

Oh as far as sizing, I checked. First where I go they are only doing 3/4 of diamonds down shank if I do that, so I can size it, but she said even if I do all the way they can size it still as well if I needed them too.

mrg1

Rough_Rock

Diamond shank!

Mine’s a RB with a very delicate cushion halo and a ¾ pave shank. I wear it everyday with two channel set eternity bands. The eRing complements but doesn't match the other bands. They look great together.

The halo has a melee of 24 precision, fully cut diamonds that surround the 1.5 ct RB. They are tiny – maybe .15 cts total, and the halo is much smaller/more subtle than other halos that are pictured on PS. The band is roughly 2.75 mm and has .56 ct on the shank.

My taste is classic/modern classic and the ring is gorgeous but not too blingy. My jeweler Bob Levine of Levine Design in Pittsburgh designed and hand-forged the entire ring knowing that I’m hard on my jewelry (this is the fourth ring he’s made for me). That said, I am more careful of it than I was of my previous 3 stone e-ring.

Good luck!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Plain

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

sporty|1351206834|3292483 said:
Oh as far as sizing, I checked. First where I go they are only doing 3/4 of diamonds down shank if I do that, so I can size it, but she said even if I do all the way they can size it still as well if I needed them too.

Yeah. But each sizing loosens the pave.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Pave shank for me all the way. It looks complete.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Gypsy|1351223065|3292652 said:
sporty|1351206834|3292483 said:

Yeah. But each sizing loosens the pave.

And a good jeweler can also tighen up the pave after the sizing.

John287

Rough_Rock

Gypsy said:
I have a plain shank and I love that I can pair it with just about any band. Has low maintenance. Never have to worry about sizing it.

Plain shank gets my vote too.

John287

Rough_Rock

sporty said:
My husband bought me a round stone which he set as a "novo" but for some reason I never loved the look of the solitaire. I always think that I would like it better if it was a cushion set as a novo but not a round.
However I thought to sell it and get a cushion we'd end up taking a loss on it and not getting for it what we paid and probably needing to downgrade size due to that. So since I should stick with the round, I decided I would rather it be halo'd.

Now my question is - plain shank or diamond shank. Either it's going to look like a Harry Winston (with a round stone/round halo) or should I skip the pave on shank and go plain.

I want to wear the ring out and not feel like it's too dressy for jeans.....

As far as wedding band, I have a plain white gold band which if I did plain shank, I could wear them together.

I never heard of plain shank on a halo till I saw someone with it a few weeks ago and it was so nice. But the Harry Winstonw is stunning and really special and important looking....

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

CharmyPoo|1351226570|3292675 said:
Pave shank for me all the way. It looks complete.

Me too. I had a plain shank halo once and it just looked like something was missing to me, like it was half done.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think that it depends on your lifestyle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results