shape
carat
color
clarity

Making a 3 stone ring into a 5 stone- smallest stone size?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have a three stone ring that has sides stones that are proportionally larger than what most people seem to prefer. I'm kicking around the idea of making the ring into a 5 stone. I presume I would want to keep the same proportions for the 4th and 5th stones? So if my center is about 5.8mm and the current sides are 4.8mm, would the same ratio make the final stones about .20ct/3.8mm?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Making a 3 stone ring into a 5 stone- smallest stone siz

I worked it out using a mathematical ratio. The current center and sides have a 83% ratio so based on that, you can use 3.9 mm last stones, so your guesstimate of 3.8 mm is close enough.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No you don't have to keep it the same ratio.

Here's my thread about it, yessie makes some good points. She made this pic, the first set is 6/4.5/3.... so I think you could go down to a 3-3.2 mm stone and it look good.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-you-make-a-graduated-5-stone-with-a-6mm-stone.188194/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-you-make-a-graduated-5-stone-with-a-6mm-stone.188194/[/URL]

uploadfromtaptalk1380727198423.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nice one, Niel, but I prefer the big look. Better finger coverage. :devil:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1380727369|3530744 said:
Nice one, Niel, but I prefer the big look. Better finger coverage. :devil:

Haha me too. But lucky LS already has such small fingers(that I'm jealous of). Smaller mm size still might take up all the room

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Niel, for the chart, and thanks also Chrono.

I just to have to figure out (aside from if I want to actually change anything in the first place), what size could be accommodated given limited finger real estate. Stuff rubbing against the sides of my fingers bothers me.

_10524.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LS,
You have ZERO finger real estate for extra sidestones. :-o :bigsmile: Most consider this a good problem to have.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1380726982|3530738 said:
I worked it out using a mathematical ratio. The current center and sides have a 83% ratio so based on that, you can use 3.9 mm last stones, so your guesstimate of 3.8 mm is close enough.

Did you work out the 83% ratio using area of circle or diameter? I should work both out myself to find out but I'm too lazy. :tongue:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1380728271|3530760 said:
LS,
You have ZERO finger real estate for extra sidestones. :-o :bigsmile: Most consider this a good problem to have.

No, I promise, there's a little bit of room! I can squeeze something in! I know it's awful, and such a first world problem, especially considering I'm a soon-to-be furloughed fed with a furloughed husband, but we have a 10th anniversary next year and I wouldn't mind a change to my ring. Something to liven it up a bit, but not too pricey or too intrusive to its neighboring fingers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since the stones are round, I thought it best to use the diameter. Yeah, so you have 0.5 mm of space on each side. :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Haha in all seriousness I'm not sure a set of stones is the way to go. Would you consider getting a new setting with pave in the shank??

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

If you want to talk about the ratio, you need to discuss the face-up (surface area) ratio.

pi * r2 = surface area

Main Stone - (2.9mm radius ^ 2) * pi = 26.42 mm2
Second Stones - (2.4mm radius ^ 2) * pi = 18.10 mm2

Therefore, the Second Stones are 68.6% the size of the center stone.

For the Third Stones to reflect the same ratio, just take 18.1 * 68.6% = 12.42 mm2

12.42 / pi = 3.95 mm2
sqrt of 3.95 = 1.99mm = radius
radius * 2 = diameter = 4mm

Your Third Stones should be approximately 4mm (about .25ct), if you wish to preserve the same ratio as the center to Second Stones.

Just noticed some bad math here, and wanted to get things set straight!

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock

Logan Sapphire|1380728821|3530767 said:
LS,

No, I promise, there's a little bit of room! I can squeeze something in! I know it's awful, and such a first world problem, especially considering I'm a soon-to-be furloughed fed with a furloughed husband, but we have a 10th anniversary next year and I wouldn't mind a change to my ring. Something to liven it up a bit, but not too pricey or too intrusive to its neighboring fingers.

From the pic, there doesn't seem much space left at the end. You've a perfectly nice 3 stone now. I'm concerned adding the last stone might cause discomfort to the neighboring fingers.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1380729037|3530769 said:
Since the stones are round, I thought it best to use the diameter. Yeah, so you have 0.5 mm of space on each side. :lol:

Thanks for the info, Chrono. :)) I was looking at the other thread about 3-stone ratio and like the 62% and 70% ratio but my center is a different size, hence the question, so that I can do my own calculation should I ever consider 3-stone. Thus, I just want to know the math used on PS in the 3-stone comparisons, not really the correct math :tongue:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Niel|1380729770|3530775 said:
Haha in all seriousness I'm not sure a set of stones is the way to go. Would you consider getting a new setting with pave in the shank??

The problem is, while I love the look, the sides would bother my fingers, which have gotten crotchety in their old age. What about baguettes or would that look too weird?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

RockyRacoon|1380730432|3530779 said:
If you want to talk about the ratio, you need to discuss the face-up (surface area) ratio.

pi * r2 = surface area

For the Third Stones to reflect the same ratio, just take 18.1 * 68.6% = 12.42 mm2

12.42 / pi = 3.95 mm2
sqrt of 3.95 = 1.99mm

Your Third Stones should be approximately 2mm (about 3 pointers), if you wish to preserve the same ratio as the center to Second Stones.

Wow, 3 pointers would be the same ratio?? Here is a bad pic of my ring compared to 5 pointers. Even smaller would seem not quite right, but I'm basically math-illiterate so you would know better than I. :bigsmile:

_10526.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No I think done right that style of 5 stone looks cool. Also, you may just have to have your center set a bit higher so you can tuck the side stones under it at an angle, give yourself more room.

uploadfromtaptalk1380732172434.jpg

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

Logan Sapphire|1380731995|3530789 said:
RockyRacoon|1380730432|3530779 said:

pi * r2 = surface area

12.42 / pi = 3.95 mm2
sqrt of 3.95 = 1.99mm = radius
radius * 2 = diameter = 4mm diameter

Your Third Stones should be approximately 4mm (about .25 ct), if you wish to preserve the same ratio as the center to Second Stones.

Wow, 3 pointers would be the same ratio?? Here is a bad pic of my ring compared to 5 pointers. Even smaller would seem not quite right, but I'm basically math-illiterate so you would know better than I. :bigsmile:

Please see the revised math, reflecting the diameter, instead of the radius.

.25ct is what the Third Stones would be, to preserve the ratio you have going.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LS,

I pretty much agree, lol. Your ring is already blinging like crazy! I'd be worried that the 4th and 5th stones would irritate your fingers.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You know I love your ring as is. It's beautiful and looks great on your slender finger. While I know it's been a no go in the past, would hubby now be willing to upgrade the center stone to a larger size? It would give you a bigger look while keeping with the three stones which is, in all honesty, probably as large as your finger can stand. (and that's not a bad thing!) Would be a new look in a new ring. Or, in the alternative, reset the center stone in a pendant or something if you want to keep it for sentimental reasons and buy a new center stone? A ten year upgrade ring is a spectacular idea - can you sell that to him? :naughty: :naughty:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

MissGotRocks|1380759862|3531153 said:
You know I love your ring as is. It's beautiful and looks great on your slender finger. While I know it's been a no go in the past, would hubby now be willing to upgrade the center stone to a larger size? It would give you a bigger look while keeping with the three stones which is, in all honesty, probably as large as your finger can stand. (and that's not a bad thing!) Would be a new look in a new ring. Or, in the alternative, reset the center stone in a pendant or something if you want to keep it for sentimental reasons and buy a new center stone? A ten year upgrade ring is a spectacular idea - can you sell that to him? :naughty: :naughty:

MGR, can you come to my house and present my case for me?? I'd love an upgrade, but even if my husband agreed, we wouldn't have the money for what I'd want. Darn kids and their expenses! I might be able to make the idea more palatable if I sold off everything else I have...

Do you have any other less expensive suggestions for making my ring more exciting? Something different but comfortable?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Logan Sapphire|1380819488|3531533 said:
MissGotRocks|1380759862|3531153 said:

MGR, can you come to my house and present my case for me?? I'd love an upgrade, but even if my husband agreed, we wouldn't have the money for what I'd want. Darn kids and their expenses! I might be able to make the idea more palatable if I sold off everything else I have...

Do you have any other less expensive suggestions for making my ring more exciting? Something different but comfortable?

Swap the sides out for sapphires? You can swap the back in a few years when you're tired of the look lol

Change the setting, maybe the sholdt three stone semi bezel? Make it look bigger? Maybe a different metal color?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock

Would the center stone be too small for French cuts or something similar?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

First, I think your ring is spectacular as is. I don't think you have room to go to a traditional 5-stone, especially if you're concerned about stones rubbing against the side fingers. If you want to change it up, how about adding a little 2/1 triangle of melee-size diamonds on either side of the ring?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results