shape
carat
color
clarity

Lost a stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

Well I am literally driving myself insane. I lost a very tiny stone in back of the claw prongs, on the halo of my ring. Now I had noticed an irregularity in my halo, but it was so tiny, I thought it was tiny little imperfection. As a matter of fact the stone was already missing when I posted pics of ring on pricescope. My boyfriend also noticed it when he picked up the ring.

So now the problem is HOW TO FIX THIS??? I live in Canada, and Leon Mege is in New York. I dread sending it back because my boyfriend has to cross the border to pick/ship and when he went to pick it up he got searched twice +hassled. I don''t want to go through it again. And believe it or not, if I ship it from Canada (just for this minsucule stone) they will charge me tax on the ring + setting again because "repairs" in Canadian governement terms, means "NEW".

So I went to Birks (Canadian Tiffany''s) and they said blah, blah it''s not a problem they can fix it. But I didn''t have the ring on me, and they wouldn''t let me talk directly to the jeweler that would do the work!! Which makes me worry because Birks has nothing like my setting, and Leon did tell me he had doubts about anyone "locally" being anble to do the work. So I''m having worries, will Leon''s setting get damaged if Birks does it? Is it just a matter of finding a tiny stone, and then pushing the little prong back in to hold it? Or are they going to have to mess with the miligrain?

ARGH I enjoyed the ring for one day
7.gif
I''m not wearing it any more because it''s driving me crazy AND I''m terrified of damaging it furthur.

ANY advice would be REALLY, REALLY appreciated.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Oh, no, Ally, you poor thing. I would NOT let anyone else touch that ring. That''s just my personal opinion. I wouldn''t feel comfortable doing that at all. Do what you have to do to get it back to Leon. I hope this helps. I know that may not be what you want to hear, but that is what I would do. Let us know what you decide.

Shay

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m afraid I''d have to agree with Shay. I would not want ANYone touching a Leon masterpiece. I''d go through the pains of getting it back to him if I were in your shoes. You don''t want to run the risk of having them screw something up and then wishing you had sent it to Leon, or trying to have him fix their mistake.

Sorry this happened...it sorta goes with the pave territory sometimes!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
that sux :{
I dont think id let anyone but Leon work on it.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Darn it. Platinum Smith seconded your opions. I don''t even know how I am going to get by customs another 2 times. Leon was very nice of course, terribly upset this happened, and will pay for shipping costs. It''s just going through the border that scares me. When my boyfriend went into the states, there were 4 US customs agents that searched his car. He thought he was being followed to the UPS station. Not fun.

Now I''m thinking it''s so small that no one noticed (I mean people on pricescope diamond obsessed
2.gif
didn''t, so maybe I should just live with it?) Then again I haven''t worn my ring since I discovered it. I''m also kind of afraid the stones next to it will fall out. It looks to me like they share prongs?

Thanks everyone. I''m super stressing over this
39.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whether you can live with it or not is your call...but I''d never be able to live with it, it would bug me every time I saw it. And once I noticed it, it would be all I would ever notice. I''d do what it takes to deal with customs and get the ring to Leon...

z78gml

Shiny_Rock
I would have to agree with the others.

Here''s a suggestion. You might consider taking a trip to New York instead of paying all those additional taxes and fees.

sasa

Brilliant_Rock
poor allycat...
8.gif
I wish I can help

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry to hear that Alley, but I would ship it back ASAP. It is not worth it in the long run. And you dont want to risk possible damage to the rest of the ring.

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Awww Alley I''m so sorry to hear that!
33.gif
I would definitely let Leon handle it, it will be a hassle but well worth it to avoid any further problems.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the USA if one owns jewelry and desires to exit the US and then re-enter without a hassle with their jewelry, one gets a Customs appraisal. This proves that the item was examined in the USA before the date of travel for the purpose of proving it was already in your possession BEFORE you left the USA. Then customs does not charge any import duty. WIthout such a document many people do have problems.

Possibly Canada has such a policy in place. Find out if you can get some sort of equivalent document that proves it is already in Canada and not subject to tax. Then, take a trip with it to NY and have it fixed. Pick it up when it is done and wear it home. BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR CUSTOMS APPRAISAL WITH YOU when you cross the border. I''d be surprised to see any customs agent attempt to collect tax or duty on an engagement ring that you have proof was yours previous to your trip to the States.

I suppose you could send it for repairs after getting the Customs appraisal and then go to NYC to wear it home. Good luck!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Geez Ally, That stinks, I''m sooo sorry. Let us know what you decide, but I agree let leon fix it.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry, Ally. I know all too well the hassle of going across the border. I think Oldminer brings up a good point -- the ring is now in Canada. You shouldn''t have to pay import duties just for taking it into the states and then back again. I''m sure a phone call to Canadian customs would help a great deal. Again, I am so very sorry. I know Icekid is going through something similar without, of course, the added problem of having to ship the ring to another country. Good luck!!

PS When I had my problems with my ring, I called Birks as well to see if they could reset the diamond. But, alas, they don''t have a jeweler on the premises and I didn''t want to send my ring in without first talking to the goldsmith.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice!

Firegoddess: I stopped wearing my ring because I couldn't stop looking at it. It made me so crazy!

Yes that document thing. Canada has that, but any modifications to an item= charge new tax. Unless I get permission from the Canada customs on getting repairs done. I really want to avoid driving to New York. Exams, boyfriend has work, 6 hour drive!!! I don't foresee being able to until Christmas
7.gif
. Boy does it make me sad to think of not wearing my ring until Christmas. I haven't a clue what to do. I'm going back and forth, back and forth. Take the risk at Birks...wait until Christmas. Even shipping it back to Leon, for some reason, that option is making me strangely uneasy. Like I'm convinced something is going to happen which is totally stupid because I sent the loose stone before, and I got it back by UPS (I really didn't stress at all).

Demelza: Well this Birks has a bench jeweler on the 5 th floor (they are on the 1 st) It's their head office. But even taking the ring from 1 st floor to the 5 th floor takes 24 hours (who knows why) I swear I would be so much more comfortable if I could talk to the bench jeweler. Platinum Smith said it wasn't too much of a difficult job, but talking to the woman in the front is not making me comfortable. What did you end up doing by the way? It's good to know Icekid too is going through something like this. Makes me feel like I'm not the isolated case.

Ok. I've got to chill. Obviously if I need to resolve this soon.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Awww, alley, I''m sorry to hear that!

I''m confused about customs. If an American travels to Canada, she can''t just wear her wedding rings without carrying proof that she owned them before the trip? Does every American who travels to Canada risk being hassled if they don''t have proof that they owned the rings ahead of time?

And what about the opposite? Can''t Canadians go back and forth wearing their jewelry?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh Ally, I''m so sorry
39.gif
39.gif
i agree with the others. I think you should only let Leon touch it. I would be way to nervous to take a chance on any body else. I would hate shipping it off again too but I know I couldn''t wait until Christmas to wear my ring again. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, Ally, I''m so sorry this happened! I know I personally would not feel comfortable having anyone else touch my ring, except Leon (my as in my hypothetical ring
1.gif
) I''d always be second guessing their work. I sort of had the same idea as z78''s and I''d try to use the ring needing to be fixed as an excuse to go to nyc for a long weekend
1.gif
However, I did sort of wonder what Patty asked because I''ve traveled back and forth with out any problems at all...

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I also agree that I would only let the jeweler who knows my ring inside & out make any kind of adjustments or repairs to it...although it''s HUGELY inconvienent for you
7.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so furthur thoughts one this. I think (although I'm not sure) that travelling back and forth really isn't that much of a problem if you are wearing it. Although I remember hearing stories, I think if you have it on, there's no recipts etc, then it's pretty hard to say "You bought this is Canada, pay us the taxes." Does New York even have goods and services taxes? Going into Canada it's different. Generally they are crazy about taxes so I anticipate problem.

I think I have a general logistic problem. I plan on living in Montreal all my life. I have a ring that is almost completely pave. Now most likely, I'm going to lose some stones over the years, having to ship or drive to New York all the time to have it fixed is just too terrible to contemplate. Most likely I would dump the ring in a safe deposit box so that I wouldn't have to go through this stress again.

I think I'm going to have to find a jeweler here in Montreal that can replace stones for me. Platinum Smith said it is do able, the hard part being able to decide what size stone to put, and then having a steady hand. He also said that a competent jeweler with any metal could probably do it. (Although he does suggest I go back to Leon) Problem is, how to find one? The only jewelery store that carries a micro pave setting is Birks. No one else. Actually what would be really nice is some referals....But I went through the phone book already, and it's not looking good.

I just realized I have an inconvienent ring!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oh ally! I know how heart broken you must be... but I agree with everyone else, I don''t think I could let anyone but Leon touch that beautiful ring!

Is there no way you can make a weekend trip to NY, and have Leon fix it while you''re there? pick a weekend that''s good for you and your fiance, so it can be a little vacation..

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all - I''m so sorry you''re going through this frustration...especially at such an exciting, happy time

I plan on living in Montreal all my life. I have a ring that is almost completely pave. Now most likely, I''m going to lose some stones over the years ...
I think I''m going to have to find a jeweler here in Montreal that can replace stones for me. I just realized I have an inconvienent ring!!

Being practical - I tend to agree with you. You''ll need to find a local, trustworthy craftsman EVENTUALLY, even if not this time. Sure, Leon is a master ... but re-setting one stone isn''t the same as designing a whole pave ring. Maybe a local auction house that deals in very high end antique pieces can recommend a craftsman. Even million dollar pieces lose stones ... and someone trained in restoration should make you feel safer.

Not the same at all, but I have a Land Rover & the nearest dealer is an hour away. It''s a pain, and I''ve had to get it towed there a couple times for stupid stuff - but I love that little pain in my a** - so it''s worth it to me.

The lovliest things take the most maintenence (hello! relationships, anyone!)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ally, you bring up a great point about the importance of finding a local jeweler. maybe start a new thread asking for recommendations for Canadian jewelers so others who might not be following this one will see it. Hopefully, since pave is becoming more and more popular more Canadian jewelers will carry it or gain experience working with it. I would still probably try to figure out a way to have Leon fix it this time and do a detailed check. then hopefully you''ll have many years of enjoyment without any problems.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
This is just wierd. Mind you, I have not been to Canada since 911, but is crossing so bad now?? I didn''t like going there before, now I don''t think I ever will again-and I am of canadian ancestry! The times we went thru we were never searched. Anyway, I would either just ship it over verses takeing it there in person, or take my chances with a reputable jeweler. I know, it is hard with such a ring, but it is 1 tiny stone. Not to belittle your situation at all, I would be as obsessed as you are, but at some point you have to weigh the pros and cons of all options and pick the least disruptive to your routine. Now, if it was a center stone, that would be entirely different. Just MHO. Best of luck!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I''m inclined to agree that it would be a good idea to find a very skilled local goldsmith. The trick, of course, is finding one you trust. I ended up bringing my ring back to Washington to have it fixed -- it''s only an hour away, though, not six! But I would still very much like to find a goldsmith here in Vancouver with whom I can build a relationship. I think you''re right that you will likely lose stones over the course of a lifetime and it probably isn''t very practical to bring it to Leon everytime it needs a repair. I can certainly understand, however, that because the ring is so new you wouldn''t want anyone else to touch it. Crossing the border is a serious pain. If you were flying to NY with the ring and having it repaired while you are there, I would say no problem. But for your fiance to bring the ring across the border you run the risk of being charged duty. The likelihood is they wouldn''t find it, but you never know. I guess you have to figure out which makes you more nervous -- having someone else fix it or taking it across the border and having it shipped to NY. I am sure there must be very competent high-end jewelers in Montreal. Why did Birks say it would be a difficult job? Does Leon have any suggestions?

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
WNTLV: Yes crossing into the US was really scary (however I completely understand the US''s policy) My boyfriend had wire in his car (he''s an electrical engineer) and when the custom''s border saw it, he called it in. It''s just scary because one of my friends had his car dismantled, so that''s a situation that would freak me out totally.
9.gif

Demelza: The woman at Birks did not take me seriously. I wasn''t wearing the ring, just got out of being in the hospital and wearing PUMA''s and carrying books. I look about 18, so I could see why. She said Birks were professionals and they could do anything. She also said that Birks diamonds were exceptionally good cuts and it was nearly impossible to match diamonds to them...blah, blah, blah. Snobby attitude, but I''ll do business with anyone that can get this done. Problem was I didn''t talk to the jeweler (he''s on the 5 th floor same building). I''m going back tomorrow with the ring, and I''m going to ask to talk to the jeweler, find out how, he would do it, etc., I think Birks is very good, but Leon''s work is beyond anything they carry. Then again, it''s just snapping one stone back in place...(hopefully he won''t say that the center diamond has to be removed). I mean the beads are there, everything, so I think it can be done. But I need to talk to the jeweler. There''s no way I feel comfortable going in blindly. Problem is high end jewelers in Montreal is Birks. There is a Tiffany''s but they don''t have a jeweler on sight. Montreal REALLY is not big on e-rings, we have a lot of Maul chain stores, but there stuff is terrible. People on pricescope would be horrified.

I''m going to Birks tomorrow. I need to solve this problem and quick.

I think she''ll take me serious this time
29.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not WEAR it through, go to a drugstore to get shipping materials, and send it that way. Then when it comes back, inspect it then, then put the bad boy on.

ETA...ok ame...really...read the whole damn thread first.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear of the problem with your stone falling out. I live in Toronto so I know about the hassles of cross-border crossings. I lived in NC too for almost 7 yrs so I dealt with customs on both sides all the time. Chances are with Canadian customs, their main concern is if you''re bringing booze or cigarettes into the country without declaring them. LOL Of all the stuff we bring across, **thats** what they want to find.
38.gif
A 6 hr drive would probably make me think twice about going back. Yes, ideally you would want Leon to fix it since he''s the one who made it & is an expert with this type of jewelery, on the other hand, you would want to build a relationship with a jeweler at home for such problems. I hate Birks. The only thing going for them is their reputation & they have proven that. As for me, I like the smaller stores where you would get more personalized attention. What about Ottawa? It seems to be a lot closer than the border. I think with all the VIP''s living there, there has to be some really good jewelery stores.
33.gif

Perhaps the Canadian Jewellers Association can give you some direction? I checked & they have a few listings for Montreal. I think the sites is www.canadianjewellers.com.
Good luck with everything.

Judy
:)

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Alleycat,

I''m so sorry to hear about the troubles of your ring. I agree with cutheartnurse...it''s a good idea to build a relationship with a local jeweler. There''s GOT to be someone in your area! Make sure you let us know what happens with your trip to Birks tomorrow.

On a more positive note...I have every confidence that you are going to get your ring fixed and all will be well! You''ve got a gorgeous ring, a sweetie of a fiance, the support of all of us on Pricescope, and I have no doubt that you will live happily ever after! *HUGS*
10.gif

Stephanie

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ally,

Sorry to hear what happened to your beautiful ring.
39.gif
If it doesn't work out at Birks, let me know and I will contact my friend who knows a lot of people who has very nice jewelry (you know the ones who live in Westmount, the Plateau or Outremount) because she's one of the owners of a beauty salon and her clients are pretty well off. She even got her engagement ring custom made and she loves her jewelrer.

your fellow Montrealer,
Radiantlover

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results