shape
carat
color
clarity

Losing quality???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jjtitus

Rough_Rock
This might be a silly question, but is it possible for a diamond to lose its quality in color and clarity? It seems that my wife''s ring is getting more yellow and more cloudy than when i first bought it. She has noticed too. It is an F/SI1. It was so sparkly white when we got it so I was just wondering.

Thanks
Jonathan

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perhaps it just needs a good cleaning. Lotions and make up can cause quite a build up on diamonds. Take it to a jeweler and have it steamed.

jjtitus

Rough_Rock
we''ve only cleaned it with some jewelry cleaner at the house, i''ll try getting it cleaned at the jeweler. thanks for the quick responses.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
A good steam cleaning will do the trick!!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
agreed. the diamond probably needs a good cleaning.
boy, are you going to be amazed at the difference it makes!
36.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
As others have said, you would NOT believe how a little dirt - not to mention a LOT of dirt - makes your diamond look dingy and lifeless. Get thee a professional cleaning! I have an ultrasonic cleaner at home (Sharper Image) and when the ring comes out of that thing....royal difference!

DON HULIO

Rough_Rock
I''ll tell ya what, when I took my fiancees e-ring to get it appraised, the GIA/AGA certified appraiser told me that the easiest and most effective way to clean the ring was with a soft tooth brush and a little spray of DOW SCRUBBING BUBBLES...who knew? Anyway, the first time she did it in fornt of me with my new e-ring, I was like, jeez be careful...but I''ll tell ya, it looked soooo sparkly and clean afterward. She told me that this was harmless to the finish of the ring itself (the gold, platinum or rodhium finish), and that this was a great way to let the diamond shine in all its splendor. Anyway, she told me that all of her clients who really care about their rings clean them in this way every day...so now I''ve elected the responsibility of cleaning my fiancees ring in this way each morning ,she thinks I''m crazy, but she loves me :), and let me be the first to say that it looks stunning every day. Since the bottle warns to avoid contact with the skin, I use a palm size peice of plastic wrap, or saran wrap, in the palm of my hand. I place the ring in my palm, spray about a half-dollar size amount of scrubbing bubble right on to the ring, let it fizzle for about ten seconds, then I get some of the excess scrubbing bubbles on the toothbrush and holding the ring between two fingers, I brush the table, the girdle, the pavilion, etc as well as the ring itself. Then, I place the ring around the bristle part of the toothbrush, and with my hand under the brush to make sure the ring does not fall, I wash it off under luke (sp?) warm water. Then I just patt it dry in a soft bath towel, and voila! The jeweler that appraised my ring said that it is the quickest, easiest and most effective way to clean the ring. Also, she said that some cleaners may leave a residue, and that they are not worth the cost of buying them. Also, although boiling the ring is effective, it is not the most time efficient. Anyway, that''s just my 2 cents...try this cleaning method and if your ring does not look like new, than maybe take it to the jeweler that you purchased it from and get an experts opinion. Good luck!
31.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
....gotta love those srubbing bubbles!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2005 8:47:02 PM
Author: DON HULIO
I''ll tell ya what, when I took my fiancees e-ring to get it appraised, the GIA/AGA certified appraiser told me that the easiest and most effective way to clean the ring was with a soft tooth brush and a little spray of DOW SCRUBBING BUBBLES...who knew? Anyway, the first time she did it in fornt of me with my new e-ring, I was like, jeez be careful...but I''ll tell ya, it looked soooo sparkly and clean afterward. She told me that this was harmless to the finish of the ring itself (the gold, platinum or rodhium finish), and that this was a great way to let the diamond shine in all its splendor. Anyway, she told me that all of her clients who really care about their rings clean them in this way every day...so now I''ve elected the responsibility of cleaning my fiancees ring in this way each morning ,she thinks I''m crazy, but she loves me :), and let me be the first to say that it looks stunning every day. Since the bottle warns to avoid contact with the skin, I use a palm size peice of plastic wrap, or saran wrap, in the palm of my hand. I place the ring in my palm, spray about a half-dollar size amount of scrubbing bubble right on to the ring, let it fizzle for about ten seconds, then I get some of the excess scrubbing bubbles on the toothbrush and holding the ring between two fingers, I brush the table, the girdle, the pavilion, etc as well as the ring itself. Then, I place the ring around the bristle part of the toothbrush, and with my hand under the brush to make sure the ring does not fall, I wash it off under luke (sp?) warm water. Then I just patt it dry in a soft bath towel, and voila! The jeweler that appraised my ring said that it is the quickest, easiest and most effective way to clean the ring. Also, she said that some cleaners may leave a residue, and that they are not worth the cost of buying them. Also, although boiling the ring is effective, it is not the most time efficient. Anyway, that''s just my 2 cents...try this cleaning method and if your ring does not look like new, than maybe take it to the jeweler that you purchased it from and get an experts opinion. Good luck!
31.gif
wow... you are good! Do you make housecalls?
2.gif

browser

Rough_Rock
Do most jewelers have the ability to steam a diamond? I mean can I go to a place in the mall and have it done. I''m just thinking of my mother''s engagement ring. I don''t think it''s been cleared in about the 35 years they''ve been married and this has gotten me thinking!

karenleah15

Shiny_Rock
Yep you can go to the mall and have it cleaned. I hate to say it but the "evil" ZALES will be happy to do it for you for free. Ask them to just clean it. Don''t let them tighten the prongs. I have heard horror stories about diamonds getting chipped during a "free" tighten. Just ask them to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results