shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Stone in setting HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
Well, i noticed this past weekend that my the stone in the setting is loose. If you tap the band, you can hear the "clicking/rattling" noise of the loose diamond. My question is, how do they usually fix this? I am going to bring it back to the jewler, but is this normal? Does this usually happen, or is something messed up with the prongs holding the diamond. Do they have to take the stone out and reset it?

Thanks for any help

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Its a simple task were they tighten the stone with a set of pliers made for that purpose.

Your lucky we still have B&M stores so you can take it too
1.gif

If its a diamond that is loose take care of it soon. A diamond has great cutting power and in short time cut through the prongs.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
so they are just gonna squeez the prongs together with special pliers?? Hopefully that dosent scratch the prongs or anything. I dont know how it got loose, she never dropped it, or banged it on anything. hmm....

bling

Shiny_Rock
i had the same thing happen to my ring, and i take VERY good care of my ring as well..my baby!
i did have to take to the jeweler and they tightened the prongs for me. It really scared me though. I guess that is why the recommend you take your ring in every 6 months to have the prongs checked. should be an easy fix though.
1.gif
read.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
mikey71497

It's pretty common for stones to become loose in the mountings. As Iceman points out, it's important to fix it fairly quickly. The problem is that gold isn't really a very good structural material. It bends rather easilly This is part of why craftsmen have been able to make such wonderful things out of it for so long. If your stone is lose because the prongs have simply bent, it's usually pretty easy to just bend them back if you have the right tools. It's not necessary to reset the stone. There are, of course, other reasons that the stone might become loose and some of them are more difficult to fix. A good jeweler should have no problem identifying other problems and recommending a route for repair.

It's important to have your stones checked regularly. Most stores will check these things for free. Tapping the ring with your finger while it's next to your ear is an easy way to hear that little rattle and it's a pretty good habit to get into. If the ring starts to snag more than it used to is another good sign to watch out for.

Neil Beaty, GG
www.gemlab.us

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
Her diamond is a princess cut. I am taking it to the jewler on saturday morning...hopefully it will get fixed, and fixed right. By the way, the ring is all platnium.

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
It may have been loose from he start. Corners on princess cuts break very easily. Are they "V" prongs or straight? Just make sure to examine the stone when returned to make sure it is not chipped.

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
My stone was loose after getting my ring in june. It took them about 5 minutes to fix it and I was on my way again. I haven't had a problem since. It must be pretty common!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results