shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose 2.28 diamond in hand. Trying to decide color vs curren

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! My diamond arrived today! #1 it's huge, #2 sparkles like heck! My current diamond is a 1.1, I, with a pretty good spread (6.84 ,6.91x3.88). GIA, guessing "good" cut (old GIA doesnt state cut grade). The new diamond is a 3 excellent GIA, 2.28, J, SI1 (eye clean from top and sides). Some inclusions showed up in one photograph, from upside down. Excellent light refraction according to IS (not a lot leakage) and .8 on HCA. Very nice :)

The little added warmth from 45 deg.is throwing me off. I think part of the problem is my diamond is cut so poorly that it appears darker which may mask any yellowness in my current (?). Or else it's just that a J has a little more warmth. Both I guess! My I diamond has always seemed white to me, and always liked my "I" color. No obvious warmth but now I am wondering if that is more due to the shallow cut making the diamond appear darker / grayer

Pics. Every lighting and every angle both diamonds look different. Sometimes the J looks whiter than my "I"(think bright bc cut is excellent), sometimes it looks warmer.

Thank you for any input! 30 day return policy so I just need to think it over a little bit. This is an incredibly huge decision and there will be no upgrade from here.

First set pics outside, noon bright sun

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Loose 2.28 diamond in hand. Trying to decide color vs cu

Outside full shade

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

( you can't see those inclusions top down and not really from this side either from what I can tell. They showed up in the picture but I honestly feel I cannot see them with the naked eye normally without this magnification).

Under LED lights (I think).

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Energy saving curly bulbs

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Outside again bright sun.

It is the side/45 deg on the J Im hesitant about (wanted to include the top down pics to be fair because I think the "J" presents whiter in some lights). Excellent cut :) or else my shallow mess

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A J definitely will have a slight champagne tint when put next to a whiter diamond. J is the point where I can see tint. Some people love the color and others want less tint. You'll have to see it in a lot of different lighting to know how you feel. I decided I prefer I color and higher in a round stone. But there are MANY happy people around here with Js!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What kind of setting are you putting it in? If you put it in something that hides the sides then you'll be less likely to see the tint.

Are you planning on using the same setting with a new head? Maybe you could use a 6 prong or have a head made that has a
basket to it.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hello and thank you for your thoughts. I was going to use the same setting and was not sure how low they could sink it. I did read that setting it lower or covering the side would help with hiding the color. I spoke with the vendor who is reputable about possibly getting an eye. He guided me to say he didn't think I would look much more brighter for the money from the side. Of course I could always drop down in size a little but size is important. But for the amount of money that I am paying full satisfaction is also important meaning I could even go up a little in price or down in size. More than likely down in size. I absolutely want it set as low as it can be in this setting I am left handed. I'm just not sure how much room the setting will allow.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks better in your photos than the color showing in the James Allen video. After Kenny showed corrected for white balance photos against a customers own though I feel photos tell us nothing. Things like does your hand look the same color in the photo matter but it is far more complicated than that. In the end though after a few days you will be confident with your own decision which is the right one as you are paying for the diamond after all. Do you feel you love it?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Pyramid, yes, agree shows better than in JA video. Also agree looking at for a few days or a week will help. Another sticking point is if I ever change the setting and get side stones I think I read best to stay with "I" or better (would not do a halo). Glad to know you also agree it looks better than in the video

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Do I love it? This is what's complicated. I love it for everything a reason but a little hesitant on the color. I do not know what it will mean to my pockets or the size of the diamond to move up to a "I". I think my gut says look for one shade lighter but I'm going to wait and give it a fair week in different lighting - come to a conclusion. I don't want to regret letting the stone back. SPAKLES! like a crazy it actually was blinding me

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Okay I just came from a local jeweler who I consulted about setting a diamond. He had a GIA .75 or so in stock loose. Drop them both in a folded piece of paper and I definitely could see this one was warmer from side. Both wore GIA J. I understand size makes a difference with showing warmth.
I just don't know. I will sit on it for a week and ponder it

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

If your gut tells you that it's too warm, then return it.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Ame, I agree. I feel very sad but in fairness will wait a week although I'm not sure if that will make a difference. I will have the vensor look for some one up in shade and I guess smaller size. See what kind of price I'm dealing with. I don't always want to question the shade but I would give myself the same advice if it wasn't me. Follow the gut.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

For me, if I am initially hesitant I will only get more bothered with it over time. You will be looking at this stone every day for many, many years, and that's a lot of time if something about it bugs you. Sadly, I would also return it.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks a lot better than in the video! I personally dont mind the warmth that it is showing, however the amount in the video was pretty substantial. Its your diamond of course, so you need to decide if its a deal breaker.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

EvangelineG said:
For me, if I am initially hesitant I will only get more bothered with it over time. You will be looking at this stone every day for many, many years, and that's a lot of time if something about it bugs you. Sadly, I would also return it.

Agree that if I am initially hesitant then it will only get worse over time. If you see it now and it "kind of" bothers you, then it's very possible that you'll always look for it. And that's not how you want to enjoy your diamond!!

It's a lot of money and since this is your last upgrade, you want to get it perfect.

Hope you come to a good resolution. :))

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

TY Evangeline, JDNN, & Telephone. Yes , much whiter than in the video which was pleasant! I just don't know if I can live with the warmth for the amount of money and time that I had saved up. I want to look at the diamond and go crazy! Not focus on the color and wonder if I should have returned it. I guess that says it all :(. It is beyond gorgeous and sparkles like nothing I've ever seen! It is perfect in every single way, except for the little warmth. I will sit on it for a little bit although I think I already know my decision. Funny how devastated I am. Being upset over something that is such a privilege in life.

I made an appointment to return the store where I saw the 2.2 ct "J" that was not warm at all (white like an "I"). I am going to compare it with mine (I will never buy from the store because I will have to pay for the overhead & cant aford that for what I want, plus tax!). Also, I appreciate the IS & ASET the vendor provides (lil education goes far). It is more as a last final reference check.
If for some reason the one at the local store is as warm as this, one then I guess I made a mistake of looking at J. If not, then simply this is just maybe a warmer J. Im thinking this is warmer J. Or at least that there are whiter Js out there. Im not sure how much size in packs color but I definitely could see a visible difference in this J and the GIA smaller one I just viewed side by side. Visiting the local store to see their 2 carat beside this one will tell it all for me. I will update :( Thank you for all your help and patience.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

I want to add that I don't think this is a vendor thing. The diamond is absolutely amazing looking and I have full trust in everything that the vendor shared, etc. I just think there is a range of color in each grade and this one maybe is more average (?) when there are whiter Js to be found. To avoid in future (assuming the 2.2 I will view beside this one is not as warm), I may play it safe and stay in the "I" range when the vender searches again.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm interested to see your results of the other 2ct J vs your J. But yes, if you are having that nagging feeling, you know whats best for you.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good plan! I was going to suggest you take your stone in and compare it to the J you loved in the jewelry store and see how they do next to each other.

Will be interesting to see the comparison. :sun:

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

JDDN, yes it will. It should be the tell all.

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

it really is the luck of the draw when it comes to J, and sometimes even I colors. I had upgraded last year to a J which I thought was very white facing (it had SBF) but now I just got ANOTHER much larger J, and I was lucky enough to see it in a line up with multiple other J colors. It was crazy to me to see how much color variation there was within the same grade. There was an one that was 5K more that had much more of a "rainbow" color effect, another one that looked pure yellow, one that had almost a lavender undertone (this one I think was grey tinted)... and so on. I don't know if this is true or not but to me, but it always seems like in the lower grades the "high" and "low" within the color can really be strong, vs in the much whiter shades it can very subtle.

Here is a pic I took of two J color stones I was picking between. Two totally different cuts and one is covered in fingerprints (lol) but the color difference is striking.

All of this is my very long winded way of saying- the other J you saw may very well be much whiter, but don't be discouraged and if you can't afford the size you want in an I color, it wouldn't hurt you to keep your eyes out. A J is a J is a J...but there are sometimes dramatic differences.

_33243.jpg

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

It does help Dollyanjuli. Interesting. When my husband came home we looked at it inside & he said he could barely see a difference. Then we looked at it outside (late afternoon sun) and again he said he could barely see anything. In his head that he shared he expected it to look like lemonade so I'm sure he expected more yellow. In the bathroom with the best inside lights (CFL bulbs) he did see. He just said it slightly off white (warm). Different lights show different warmth.

Your pictures were very interesting and helpful. CRAZY the difference. I would have guessed completely different grades. Those are some pretty big diamonds!

For all I know maybe it's a really good J? Face up, really white. Humm....but then again the local guys folded white paper and .75 GIA J was slightly whiter (colorless I would describe, where my J had a faint tint). Not sure if size difference came in to play on color.

The vendor shared that if I return the J and have him find an "I", it will be a waste of $ for a mental thing (somewhat my words). That I will not see a difference between. What is curious, is several PS is noticed how yellow/warm it looked in the video for a J. But we all agree it looks less warm in my pics ( could be because my diamond is so crappy and dark).

Well, I guess this is where my Saturday visit is going to be crucial. See the other "J" I felt was white beside this one aND swe the tint differences. And heck, a few "I"s. Take it from there.... frustrating.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Photographs rarely show true color. I trust James Allen's videos for color because they are pretty consistent with their photography. To me, I color is the dividing line....high I color is wonderful with little visible tint and low I color can definitely show tint (that is the case where it is better to pay for J than low I). Most J is going to show tint and that can just mean less brightness from the top. I totally disagree with the vendor who told you that going to I color wasn't worth it. I can buy into saying that for G-H or H-I maybe, but it is worth it to me to pay for mid to high I color over J (in a round).

First is a low I color stone I considered buying next to my G round brilliant.

Second photo is side view of an I color (definitely mid to high I) and a J.

Third, J in the middle and I on the bottom, indoor daytime lighting.

avr8_img_2.jpg

img_8914.jpg

img_8916.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I see a grey tint in the I in DS photos but photos although give an idea need to be balanced in the way Kenny showed us. . For me I must have G because I see too much tint in H. I look at diamonds face down though but can still see something from the top even with ideal cut. Everyone's eyes different and although tint can be yellow, grey, brown, green, from the stones I have looked at they have usually grey more than yellow and very rare brown and have never seen green.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Hello,
The pictures are very interesting that you shared DS and I'm surprised that I could see the difference quite easily in your rings. Very beautiful stones by the way! :)

I did see the color chart by GOG earlier in the day while OCDing. Lol! That J looks pretty warm. Not sure mine is that warm?? Some lighting yes, some ligrhing no. It is the "yes" that is nagging me for my "end all diamond".

Still pretty curious to me that the "J" I viewed today in person on white paper was slightly whiter than my "J" (both are GIA rated). I can acknowledge their diamond was significantly smaller than mine. I'm not sure how much size variance would come in to play when viewing color from the side/bottom. Further, several PSers commented the video showed the diamond had maybe more tint vs some other "J"s on JA videos. Those two things combined makes it difficult for me to believe this diamond is a "J" at the top of the scale (as I was seeking).

I guess since I'm putting so much thought into this, it should be a red flag that this is just too warm for me. :( :( I am beyond curious what Saturday will bring.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

It is hard for me to understand a grey tone since I do not believe I have ever seen one. If referencing the mid to high "I" of DSes shows slight grey, I like it. :) A grey tone may blend more with white gold vs warm/yellow? I guess ideally, jumping up to at least a mid to upper "I" will avoid future color struggles.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cinnamonstick|1439515660|3914313 said:
It is hard for me to understand a grey tone since I do not believe I have ever seen one. If referencing the mid to high "I" of DSes shows slight grey, I like it. :) A grey tone may blend more with white gold vs warm/yellow? I guess ideally, jumping up to at least a mid to upper "I" will avoid future color struggles.

I can honestly say that I could definitely not detect any grey in that diamond. It seemed more colorless to me! It certainly didn't have yellow tone, that is for sure! The diamond I ended up with is I color and has the slight champagne (yellow) tone. In an I color stone or higher, I would say the grey would go with anything, because it was not visible to me at all if that's what it was. I think it can be a negative in lower color stones as apparently the grey takes a hit on pricing if it is really visible (such as M color or lower).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results