shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for some "safe bet" round stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
What are some classifications that are consistently very high-quality? That is, any stones in that category would be basically guaranteed to be very well cut? As it turns out my boyfriend isn''t as in enthusiastic as I thought about doing lots of research about cuts, and he asked me to narrow down the process for him a bit. Here is my list so far, as a complete novice who''s hung around on PS for a few months. Please feel free to correct me or add to my list. Thanks!

AGS0
Whiteflash ACA H&A
Blue Nile Signature round (?)

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
My list would be:

Whiteflash ACA
GOG H & A (good old gold)
Superbcert
Dirtcheapdiamonds aka James Allen signature series

I would not even look at blue nile. This is mainly because you get better info from these other sites without having to call and ask. Most of the stuff you need to make a good decision is right there a click away. They also have good upgrade policies. Blue nile seems to run a bit higher for the same type of goods. I would rather have more personal service with these guys. Just my .02.

shay

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2005 8:57:40 PM
Author:peonygirl
What are some classifications that are consistently very high-quality? That is, any stones in that category would be basically guaranteed to be very well cut? As it turns out my boyfriend isn''t as in enthusiastic as I thought about doing lots of research about cuts, and he asked me to narrow down the process for him a bit. Here is my list so far, as a complete novice who''s hung around on PS for a few months. Please feel free to correct me or add to my list. Thanks!

AGS0
Whiteflash ACA H&A
Re AGS0, especially the new one, where one of the zeros is for light performance.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The easiest and safest bet are to have him call goodoldgold or whiteflash and give them your basic specs for color, clarity, size and price and have them match it up with a diamond.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/22/2005 8:57:40 PM
Author:peonygirl

AGS0

Whiteflash ACA H&A

Hmm. I see that you ask for classifications and are given names of vendors, perhaps because you mentioned AGS 0 and Whiteflash.

Any AGS 0 is guaranteed to be very well cut. Some will be better than others as many AGS 0 cuts will not display an H&A pattern under a viewer.

Any AGS1 is guaranteed also to be very well cut, and MOST buyers can not see the difference between an AGS 0 and an AGS 1. I know that this is heretical to express, but years of selling diamonds tells me that is true. It is also true that with a little time any competent jeweler can teach you to see minor differences than you can see without that training. It is also very easy to show someone the major differences that they might not notice if you did not point them out while in the klieg light atmosphere of a retail jeweler, but that would leave them somewhat dissapointed in normal lighting.

In truth, many AGS 2''s and 3''s will be incredibly beautiful as well suffering only minor symmetry and polish faults to bring them down, or minor variations in light performance that are not easily visible to the eye. Here however, it is necessary to be more knowledgeable to avoid getting one of those "looked good in the store" stones, so I recommend that you stick with at least an AGS1 or better diamond.

If you are dealing with a competent vendor than you can also safely buy GIA stones that have the Sarin data available, as you can easily check to see that the 61 depth 57% table stone has appropriate crown and pavilion angles to keep that stone in the ideal catagory. You will want to read further in these pages to find discussions about the dangers of getting a technically ideal stone that just does not look it due to innapropriate combinations such as being at the steep crown and deep pavilion edges of the parameters.

Wink

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wink, that's all excellent advice, but learning which angles to avoid so as not to get a dud is probably more work than Peonygirl's boyfriend is willing to do. That's why she's getting vendor recommendations. She asked for categories guaranteed to yield a well cut stone, so people are recommending the favorite PS brands.

Shay has a good list. I would add Wink's Venus-by-Infinity diamonds. Plus, he's a super nice guy!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Good answer Wink.
21.gif

In truth, many AGS 2''s and 3''s will be incredibly beautiful as well suffering only minor symmetry and polish faults to bring them down, or minor variations in light performance that are not easily visible to the eye. Here however, it is necessary to be more knowledgeable to avoid getting one of those "looked good in the store" stones, so I recommend that you stick with at least an AGS1 or better diamond.

I would imagine that any of the vendors mentioned here, yourself included, could find one of the better AGS 2''s and 3''s if a buyer asked you to look for one? This is where a trusted vendor would come into their own.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for the kind comments Glitterata. I agree that is definitely more work that HE is going to want to do, I was offering that comment for her, should she want to do some extra research.

Persoanlly I would advise her to stick with AGS1''s and 0''s to be sure that she is getting an extraordinarily beautiful stone. These will come with some premium over other stones which may also be beautiful in their own rights, but I would think the comfort of being sure well worth the extra price.

By the way Peonygirl, if you would like to be really sure you can send your proposed diamonds to one of the many fine appraisers here for their assesment prior to purchase for your additional comfort. Most of the vendors here will send it to an accepted appraiser for no charge to you. You pay only the postage and the cost of the appraiser and are allowed to return the stone directly to the vendor should you not like what the appraiser has to say. If you decide to keep the stone you can then transfer funds to the vendor who will then allow the appraiser to send it directly to you, thus saving insurance and postage to the vendor prior to his shipping it to you.

Wink

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/23/2005 11:44:50 AM
Author: Bagpuss
Good answer Wink.
21.gif

In truth, many AGS 2''s and 3''s will be incredibly beautiful as well suffering only minor symmetry and polish faults to bring them down, or minor variations in light performance that are not easily visible to the eye. Here however, it is necessary to be more knowledgeable to avoid getting one of those ''looked good in the store'' stones, so I recommend that you stick with at least an AGS1 or better diamond.

I would imagine that any of the vendors mentioned here, yourself included, could find one of the better AGS 2''s and 3''s if a buyer asked you to look for one? This is where a trusted vendor would come into their own.

So true, so true. Still, when looking for comfort it is always better to trust, but verify. Many of us here at Pricescope know and trust each other from years of experience. We forget how hard that can be for a newcomer sometimes.

Wink

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw the reason Wink (winkjones.com) and Gary (diamondexpert.com) arent on my list for this one is that GOG and WF are more likely to have a diamond to fit more specs because of their large inventory.
They (Gary, Wink) both carry awesome diamonds but a narrower selection.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/23/2005 1:48:44 PM
Author: strmrdr
btw the reason Wink (winkjones.com) and Gary (diamondexpert.com) arent on my list for this one is that GOG and WF are more likely to have a diamond to fit more specs because of their large inventory.
They (Gary, Wink) both carry awesome diamonds but a narrower selection.
LOL! That is so sad, but true. When I grow up, or in my next life maybe, I want to be like them!

Thank you for the kind comment!

Wink

P.S. My wife says that since I am already a geezer and all my former contemporaries are retired that it is unlikely I shall grow up, so it will have to be in my next life...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink Said:

"Any AGS 0 is guaranteed to be very well cut. Some will be better than others as many AGS 0 cuts will not display an H&A pattern under a viewer."

Wink, I found this statement curious because in the past, we have found AGS0 stones that scored horribly on the HCA and sometimes had depths that seemed out of the 'ideal' range etc. This of course was before AGS changed it's grading. So in the past we would tell people that 'just because it was AGS0 it does not mean it's guaranteed to be a stunning well-cut stone'...that they had to do more research. BUT do you and the experts feel that the new grading for AGS0 is such that such statements as the above can be given to newbies and consumers for shopping advice? Just curious...I haven't followed too much of the new grading stats so this statement stood out to me as interesting.

Thanks!

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
My wife says......I am already a geezer......

Yes, a diamond geezer!
2.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock

The phrase ''Diamond Geezer'' is London slang; the Oxford slang dictionary definition reads -

A really wonderful man
Helpful and reliable
A gem of a man
A commonly heard extension to ''diamond''. [Mainly London use] a good ''solid'' reliable person.

BTW, I have no business links with Wink - I''m just a happy customer.
9.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/23/2005 7:06:35 PM
Author: Mara
-Snip-

Just curious...I haven''t followed too much of the new grading stats so this statement stood out to me as interesting.

I suppose it might be possible with the new certs to find one that was not wonderful, but I think it VERY unlikely. Our supplicant asked for comfort, and I honestly think that with any AGS 1 or 0 that she should be comfortable, especially with the new certs. I would still expect her to actually look at it before finalizing the sale, just in case I was wrong.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/23/2005 7:16:31 PM
Author: Bagpuss

The phrase ''Diamond Geezer'' is London slang; the Oxford slang dictionary definition reads -

A really wonderful man

Helpful and reliable

A gem of a man

A commonly heard extension to ''diamond''. [Mainly London use] a good ''solid'' reliable person.

BTW, I have no business links with Wink - I''m just a happy customer.
9.gif

Why thank you dear Lady Bagpuss. I had no idea that Geezer was such a great term in England. I shall have to tease my wife with this!

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results