shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for some friendly advice / help !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone! First off, I want to say that I am very excited to have found this site, as it has helped me in several ways to educate myself on buying a loose diamond online. I have a few problems that I am looking for help with..

I had an online company picked out to buy my diamond from, as they seemed to have prices far and beyond cheaper than any retail store I looked at with my own eyes. Then I began to browse other online stores for diamonds and realized Blue Nile was a tad higher, but not alot. So then I decided between a few other companies to give my business, but as I began looking, I decided that I want my cut to be the biggest issue for my diamond that I buy.

Mostly, I am looking for an online business that can guarentee my return of the diamond, provided I am not satisfied, which I HIGHLY doubt would happen, heh! Second, the dealer hopefully has free / fast shipping etc.

Ok, so I guess I'll quit typing alot and just post what my budget is, and what I am after.

I am looking for: Princess cut about 0.75-.99 carat.... something along the lines of a .85-.95 would be ideal... provided the cut is ideal or close to.
Budget: 4000max, preferablly 3500-3800'ish, but 4k max. $100 give or take. I'm a recent (poor) college graduate after all.

Second, I had thought that I wanted my diamond to be a G color, as G is near colorless and I am setting it in white gold. But, this is one of my questions: I will not have the stone set next to any others on the engagement band (solitare of some sort, setting to be decided yet), and the wedding band will be a 0.5ct channel set band with about 10 round diamonds in it. So, I thought a G color would be fine, but would going 1 step down (H) be ok as far as looking close to white?

Clarity-wise, I do not want to be able to see anything in the ring, so I decided I would try for a VS1 of somesort, VS2 would be fine.

So I was basically setting my sights on an Ideal, >G, >VS2, Princess cut, 0.80-0.95ct, Polish / Sym both EX-G range.

Here is where I get confused:

I began reading here about "Ideal" cuts and the table percentages, crown heights, etc..... and I was plugging in diamonds I was seriously considering. After plugging in the stats, what several companies were calling "Ideal" were not even close.

So I am asking for help finding a diamond with an "Ideal" cut, anything that would be a beautiful stone... feel free to deviate from my precieved notions above, because I know someone here has posted some amazing PC diamonds... that had good table values etc... related to the total depth and crown height.

I appreciate each and everyone who took the time to read my blog... and I hope that you can all be of some help!!

PS.. All you dealers who I see posting here, let me know if you have any diamonds that might match what I'm looking for !!

THANKS again everyone!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Three additional suggestions beyond what Phoenix girl notes:

1) check the search by cut database for a number of options; for some reason the GOG one is missing from it, but the other two Phoenix girl picked out I assume are there.

2) This additional one from that db seems smartly priced for the value

3) Read about princess cuts, doing a search here; see that AGS recently re-credentialed them. (For example...) Unfortunately, they''re hot, diamondexpert.com has been mostly supplying them per the makes by Infinity, and I see none on his board today. So where you say:

"So I am asking for help finding a diamond with an "Ideal" cut, anything that would be a beautiful stone... feel free to deviate from my perceived notions above, because I know someone here has posted some amazing PC diamonds... that had good table values etc... related to the total depth and crown height."

I would say start with (3), find out what''s in the pipeline from Paul at Infinity, and see if you can afford, wait, and afford to wait.

Regards,

MrBleeker

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the tips everyone. Here are a few diamonds that I have found...please let me know what you think:

Report: GIA
Shape: Princess
Carat: 0.80
Color: F
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 74.9
Table: 67
Girdle: T TK
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.05-4.94X3.70
Length/Width: 1.02

I don''t know the crown height, to help me figure out if this is an ideal cut.

Ultimately, I would love to buy a diamond from Infinity, but I need to email them and see if they will have any Princess cut''s in soon that will be in my price range... I am willing to pay higher for such a beautiful diamond from them, but it will have to be as close to 0.75 carat as can be in order to minimize cost. I don''t even know if they have a diamond that low in carat weight, heh.

Let me know if anyone else can find a good diamond.. hoping that the cut is amazing~

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results