shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for pave prongs with double claw prongs!

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Hi all-

I have to redo the head on my engagement ring now that I have upgraded my stone :) The only real change I am making is that I am going to have them add double claw prongs. I asked for this initially but the wire I had requested for the basket ended up being too thin for them to split safely. They have said they will be able to do it if they use thicker wire which I am fine with this go around.

Does anyone have pictures of pave double claw prongs on a flush fit setting?? I have found a few on Leon's site but they all have the "donut." I am attaching a picture of my ring as well as some example pics that I found.

Help!G%20Jezarian%20Reset%202.jpg

Pave Double Claw Prongs1.jpg

Pave Double Claw Prongs5.jpg

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so glad you posted this up! I am thinking of doing the same for my e-ring that I will order. I am looking forward to seeing some replies!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There's a lot of variations on this theme.
Split prong is different than a double claw for example.
Depending on the type of setting they are starting with, it might be out of your hands. They may have to go one way or the other.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1336584681|3191195 said:
There's a lot of variations on this theme.
Split prong is different than a double claw for example.
Depending on the type of setting they are starting with, it might be out of your hands. They may have to go one way or the other.

Hi Rockdiamond- They are actually rebuilding the basket from scratch since the size change won't fit in the old head. so I want to get it right this time. I only want to prongs split at the top into two claws. I'm more just concerned with trying to find examples without the "donut". Can you explain what you mean?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A split prong is a wide prong, sawed to be split at the at the end.
A true double claw is two hand forged wires that become two claw prongs.

About removing the donut- if you want my advice, it's a very bad idea- especially done a modification to an existing ring.
It's there for a reason.

Truly fine work is hard to find- have you seen other examples that the bench you are considering has done?

And remember, modifying an existing ring is a totally different situation than making a ring from scratch.....a lot more limitations,

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1336585502|3191223 said:

About removing the donut- if you want my advice, it's a very bad idea- especially done a modification to an existing ring.
It's there for a reason.

Truly fine work is hard to find- have you seen other examples that the bench you are considering has done?

And remember, modifying an existing ring is a totally different situation than making a ring from scratch.....a lot more limitations,

Hi Rockdiamond- Then I guess I am looking for a split prong.

The first picture in my post is my current setting, made by the same bench I am working with to change the head. Their work is beautiful (as confirmed by several PS vendors) and the ring was handforged. I would not change it if I didn't get a bigger stone.

There IS no donut on my current ring so I am not "removing" a donut. I am simply looking for photo examples that also do not have the donut to get a better idea.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AH!
That's different- best of luck!!

Mike R

Shiny_Rock

It's there for a reason.

Hey David, you can have cast double claw prongs also, they don't have to be hand forged.

OP, I'm curious, when you say you don't want a donut are you talking about a lower donut or the donut structure tying the claws together just below the girdle ?

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Mike R|1336593136|3191399 said:

It's there for a reason.

Hey David, you can have cast double claw prongs also, they don't have to be hand forged.

OP, I'm curious, when you say you don't want a donut are you talking about a lower donut or the donut structure tying the claws together just below the girdle ?

I mean the lower donut, not the underbridge part. I love my pave underbridge. I guess because all of the examples I can find with pave prongs AND split prongs are by Leon Mege and he doesn't like flush fit rings, I'm not seeing anything without that lower donut.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's there for a reason.

True Mike- double cast prongs are indeed a possiblity.
But generally speaking I've not seen a cast "claw" that looks like one made from a hand forged wire....

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
swingirl|1336594309|3191423 said:
Who is changing the head on your setting?

Hi Swingirl- The jeweler who made the setting is changing it, Greg Jezarian. he is using the same bench. They have no issues executing this but have just told me I need a slightly thicker wire to do it. I just want to be as clear as possible and was hoping to have some non-Leon donut images to show them.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1336594140|3191421 said:

It's there for a reason.

True Mike- double cast prongs are indeed a possiblity.
But generally speaking I've not seen a cast "claw" that looks like one made from a hand forged wire....

Cast pieces will always be different to hand forged pieces for many reasons, I just wanted to let PS'ers know that "a true double claw"
didn't have to be hand forged.
I choose to hand forge all of my diamond rings because I personally like the way they look and the better durability that comes with hand forging, but casting is also an option for those that want to take that route.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results