shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Opinions

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I am looking to buy a diamond for an engagement ring. I am looking at a particular loose diamond I would like to get set in a simple setting, and no matter what else I look at I come back to look at this particular one. So, I was just wondering what everyone here thinks about these diamond stats from the GIA report:

Shape and Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 4.39 x 4.37 x 2.66
Total Carat Weight: 0.31
Color: G
Clarity: IF
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Medium
Depth: 60.7%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Medium, Faceted
Culet: None

The cost for the diamond itself is $869. I know it isn't that big or expensive, but with what I can afford, I would like to get a great stone.

Thank you in advance for all of your opinions, time, and interest.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is your budget for the whole ring?

Because there is no reason at that size to pay for that color or clarity. You could make some slight concessions and get a very beautiful little fireball :))

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1360200125|3374045 said:
what is your budget for the whole ring?

Because there is no reason at that size to pay for that color or clarity. You could make some slight concessions and get a very beautiful little fireball :))

That was a quick reply!

I am thinking of $1,000 to $1,200.

I know that the cut is most important, but it is probably the fact that I have not seen many stones of different colors/clarity in person. How far is too far to drop other characteristics but still maintain a diamond that will sparkle with a similar intensity to increase the carat weight?

I am thinking about ordering through Adiamor, or some other place that offers a diamond upgrade policy so one day we can have it upgraded to a diamond of twice the value.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We'd need to see the crown and pavilion angles. I like G color and think it is a good choice, but you can move up a little in size if you go to VS clarity, which is still very nice!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh ok thats a good budget, what kind of setting does she want, simple solitaire? someone on here recently got a .5 ct with a nice halo for 1.5k, so i think your budget for a solitaire is good

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1360200577|3374052 said:
We'd need to see the crown and pavilion angles. I like G color and think it is a good choice, but you can move up a little in size if you go to VS clarity, which is still very nice!

Here is an image from the GIA report. Sorry that it is small, but making it any bigger makes it too fuzzy.

capture_5.png

To me it looks like 34 degrees for the crown, and 40.8 degrees for the pavilion.

I also was wondering what everyone here thinks about fluorescence. My girlfriend and I work with my family running a DJ business and we are often around black lights. Will fluorescence make the stone look too awkward when working? Or would the glow actually look interesting and draw attention to it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The angles are fine. I'd go for G VS, though, and get the .42 for just a little more.

Hmm, I do have a stone with fluorescence but I am never around UV lights. I am not sure I would want fluorescence in a public place because even though some people may think it is cool, others may look down on the stone (unfairly, but still).

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1360200989|3374061 said:
oh ok thats a good budget, what kind of setting does she want, simple solitaire? someone on here recently got a .5 ct with a nice halo for 1.5k, so i think your budget for a solitaire is good

I was thinking a solitaire would be best, but if I can find an affordable setting with a half eternity band or something I may try to stretch the budget.

Thanks for the links to the other diamonds and sites that offer an upgrade program. While making me more informed, we also just increased the number of sources I have to look through! Haha.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I very seriously advise you to stick with a plain inexpensive solitaire for this diamond. Someday you may get a larger one, and that would be the time to consider another setting. But for now, I would put every penny into the diamond. Maybe you can save up until the wedding and get her a diamond wedding band.

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1360201742|3374065 said:
The angles are fine. I'd go for G VS, though, and get the .42 for just a little more.

Hmm, I do have a stone with fluorescence but I am never around UV lights. I am not sure I would want fluorescence in a public place because even though some people may think it is cool, others may look down on the stone (unfairly, but still).

Interesting. I wonder why people would think this way. I have read that a stone with strong fluorescence can make a lower color grade appear more colorless. So I am guessing that would be a reason some think that way.

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1360201988|3374070 said:
I very seriously advise you to stick with a plain inexpensive solitaire for this diamond. Someday you may get a larger one, and that would be the time to consider another setting. But for now, I would put every penny into the diamond. Maybe you can save up until the wedding and get her a diamond wedding band.

I agree. The simple solitaire settings with 14k white gold run $190 on Adiamor, which seems really high to me for a simple band of metal. I may buy a setting from a separate place and try to find someone reliable to put them together. I kind of spaced on the wedding band, but that would be a great way to add a little flair to the settings as a pair.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OvertakenUndertaker|1360202128|3374074 said:

Interesting. I wonder why people would think this way. I have read that a stone with strong fluorescence can make a lower color grade appear more colorless. So I am guessing that would be a reason some think that way.

Unfortunately there is just some prejudice against it in within the jewelry business. Years ago, "blue-white" diamonds were marketed as very desirable. That marketing was outlawed and then apparently fluorescence started being seen as negative. I think it is a beautiful natural phenomenon, but not everyone out there is as enlightened as we are here about diamonds! :lol:

The main thing to avoid with strong fluorescence is low clarity because stones with clouds can sometimes appear hazy especially in sunlight when combined with strong fluorescence.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fluoro is going to be AWESOME if you always work around blacklight. She can enjoy it even when it is quite dark.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OvertakenUndertaker|1360202128|3374074 said:

I dont care WHAT color my diamond is, i love flour. Its a natural phenomenon! Its so cool

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
nielseel|1360205704|3374108 said:

That is a lot bigger in size. I am just wary of dropping the color and clarity too low. For some reason, I am thinking that a smaller stone with better stats is better than a bigger one with smaller gradings. I see that F, E, and D are all in the "colorless category", how do the colors grow in intensity below F?

Does a lower clarity (I have been looking in the VVS1+ to IF categories) really affect the sparkle of the diamond? As mentioned above, I would have to up the clarity if I decided to try for a fluorescent diamond.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OvertakenUndertaker|1360209880|3374150 said:
nielseel|1360205704|3374108 said:

That is a lot bigger in size. I am just wary of dropping the color and clarity too low. For some reason, I am thinking that a smaller stone with better stats is better than a bigger one with smaller gradings. I see that F, E, and D are all in the "colorless category", how do the colors grow in intensity below F?

Does a lower clarity (I have been looking in the VVS1+ to IF categories) really affect the sparkle of the diamond? As mentioned above, I would have to up the clarity if I decided to try for a fluorescent diamond.

A drop in clarity to a J will not effect the brightness and fire of your stone. And I is still considered near colorless, same as a G, and a J is what most of the stones in a mall store are, so what you probably usually see in the real world. They will not make a stone look smaller. It is not the color that makes a stone shine, its the cut. And as long as a stone is eye clean, the stone isnt going to be effected by the clarity. You are paying for something you cant see. If its eye clean at SI1, than youve paid for 5 extra grades to go up to IF. Grades you didnt need. If it wasa choice between an .8ct G and a 1 ct J, many would be inclined to possibly pic the .8ct, but there is such a large size difference between a .3 and a .5 that truly the size is going to make a very noticeable difference, where i think color you can get away with. buying a stone is a game of compromises. what is the best stone you can get for your budget, and in what areas can you concede to get the best OVERALL stone. A I-J eyeclean 1/2 ct in my opinion is overall better than a .3 ct eyeclean G

ETA: you would not have to up the clarity at all to find a flour stone, there are eyeclean flour stones at SI2 if you searched hard enough. Really only about 1% of stones have negative effects from flour, its not as much of a threat as it seems

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
Now that really clears it up for me. Play with the visible features rather than a textbook perfect rock. I would say that is some of the best advice I could take. I have been browsing through the James Allen site and I really like that they show a 360 degree rotation of each diamond.

I placed an Excellent cut, D color, and IF stone side by side with an Excellent cut, K color, and SI1 stone and just watched them spin for a while. I feel this allows me to set the boundaries of what is out there, and both look very nice (besides that warmer color of the K stone, but I know some people like that).

Also, the fact that they have an upgrade policy is really nice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh good. Just remember she isnt wearing the gia cert on her finger ;-)

And any color is going to look tinted next to a D. Its like two sheets of paper. On its own one can look white as could be, but then set ir next to another stark white one and the first paper is a bit buttery, just remember 2 seconds ago before the comparison you were contwnt with how white the first paer was.

Basically what i mean is when you find a good one loot at it on its own, do you like how it looks by itaelf, not compared to anything :))

OvertakenUndertaker

Rough_Rock
I found a great stone...or at least I think it is great for the price. I know this doesn't really follow the "buy for eye appeal rather than textbook appeal" but it seems like a decent size for a decent price.

Carat weight: 0.44 <----------- Too small for a solitaire? Seems like a good cut off to not get an inflated price. Does anyone know of a good size comparison chart?
Certificate: GIA
Color: F <------------- Really high on the scale, I could look for something lower in color.
Shape: Round
Clarity: VVS2 <------------- Really high. Overall, it seems great, but I think I can turn this into more carat weight, if I find a similar stone.
Cut: Excellent <----- Of course.
Depth %: 60.50
Girdle: Medium-
Table %: 59.00
Culet: NN
Polish: Excellent
Crown ∠: 32.5 <---------What angles are ideal?
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong <-----------This is a big bonus for me. I was actually searching for strong flurescence when I found this, not a lot of strong ones on the market.
Pavilion ∠: 41<------------What angles are ideal?
L/W/D: 4.90*4.92*2.97 <--------- Almost at the 5mm mark!

PRICE: $1,030

This would give me enough for that diamond and a nice setting and be under my 1,200 budget (could even add the discount some of you mentioned). I hope my dissection of the report shows I have learned from this thread. What is your guys' opinion on this one? Keep in mind, this stone peaked my interest mainly due to its strong fluorescence (due to the work environment and all).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this astone from ja? Do You have a link?
I agree a .44 or so would be a good deal because there is an increase at .5.
I dont think it would be too small but id try to get as close to 5mm as possible
Those angles could be better. When you have them you want to run them thoughHca tool
You want to get less than 2

And i totally agree going a tad smaller is good because you want the whole package and just a few hundress more for the setting will make the overall ring look nicer
I like this one
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/engagement-rings/solitaire/14k-white-gold-thin-cross-prong-diamond-engagement-ring-item-121

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Here's an F SI1- comes out to a .8 on the HCA, you'd need to find out if it's eyeclean.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.43-carat-F-color-SI1-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-174119

For the price, the Whiteflash one is about the same size and price, it's already got idealscope images and Whiteflash probably has a better upgrade policy than JA (where you'd have to spend double).

This one pushes right up to 5mm, it's an F si1. Though it's listed at 1100, you'd get a Pricescope discount, you just need to call and find out how much that it. In a super simple setting, you'd probably be just a little over budget.

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.46-carat-F-color-SI1-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-166687

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1360253495|3374423 said:
Here's an old Jabel ring mount for a 1/2 ct stone with best offer option. That might free up a few extra dollars:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Kt-White-Gold-Diamond-Solitaire-Round-Mount-Ring-Engagement-50-CT-NEW-/271152078582?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item3f21ec5ef6
Oh if she likes yellow gold thats a good idea. Polish it up it would look like new. And a lot prettier than some of the standard cheap settings from the vendors, then youcould get a nice .5 ct I i bet

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results