shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for an usual pendant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misaacka

Rough_Rock
[Sorry: the subject line should read "looking for an UNusual pendant!]

My folks (bless their hearts!) just asked me if I'd like a diamond pendant for my birthday, and--believe it or not--my initial response was no, because I honestly didn't think I'd wear it--my style tends toward the artisanal or experimental, and the image I had was of something ultra-refined and delicate. A couple of days later, I came to my senses and realized that nobody ever said that a diamond pendant has to be "dainty" or formal, so now I'm exploring the options. I don't want to be an ungrateful daughter, now, do I? :)

I could use some help with three things. First, does anyone happen to know of any designers with a more artisanal/experimental approach to diamond pendants?

Next (now taking a build-my-own approach) is the setting. It seems that the two main options are bezel and cage, and the problem is that I'm not really enamored of either, at least as I've seen them executed. I have an idea for something that combines the features I like of both, but I have no idea how practical this would be, so advice and opinions are welcome. Here's the deal: I don't link bezels, but I do like the way slider bezel mounts can allow the diamond to "float" or crest a bit above the chain; I like cages, but I don't like like them hanging from a bail or the way "rabbit ear" chain attachment keeps the diamond fixed. So here's what I'm picturing: a three-prong cage (two upper prongs, one lower) with eyelets attached to the back of the two upper prongs for the chain to pass through. It seems to me that this would allow the diamond to crest above the chain, keep it mobile (sliding), and avoid the extra metal of a bezel. What do y'all think? Do these exist anywhere out there? I've been through Stoller with a fine-toothed comb and not seen anything like this.

One more question: I'm not really a yellow-gold girl, but I like for a diamond to contrast with the metal around it, so I'm not keen on platinum or white gold, either. (I know, I know; it's a pain to be this picky!) A couple of weeks ago, I was in the Niessing store in Beverly Hills and saw one of their tension rings done in brushed grey gold, which I didn't know existed until then. I absolutely loved the look of the diamond in grey gold--it's like a slightly darker platinum but with a shot of warmth, so it contrasts with the diamond much better than platinum or white gold, but without being yellow. I'd love to have my pendant on a brushed grey gold chain, but I'm having some trouble finding any. Would this be a custom order? Would that make it terribly expensive? Who might be willing to do this?

Sorry this is so long, and thanks in advance for any help!

(PS: While at Niessing, I picked up one of their steel rings, the 005 [the flat one], which is tension set with a teensy weensy diamond. It's so understated, but so many people have noticed and commented on it. Great piece.)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/12/2004 10:36:40 AM misaacka wrote:

... tension rings done in brushed grey gold, which I didn't know existed until then.
----------------

How about a tension pendant done in Titanium? Are you familiar with the feal of it? The color is indeed darker gray, the "satin finish" on Ti feals like velvet to me... and this is one metal light as amber
1.gif

GA makes tension pendants (LINK), but you could likely ask this to be made for you in Ti.

And then there is this (LINK look at Jewelry / Symbols) that ranks high in the category "unusual but not over the top pendants" on my list. And THESE of about the same feal by less intricate. At the oposite end of the spectrum, you may find intricate carvings and filigree: se bwlow
4.gif

Not sure what style you find appealing inbetween. How about having something custom made after your own design? If you do receive the diamond loose as a gift, of course - which is not unheard of on Pricescope, at least.

Hope this helps...

misaacka

Rough_Rock
Wow, those links have some gorgeous designs! Thanks so much. :) Most of them are a bit more than what I'm looking for--I'd really like something in a simple solitaire that I can wear everyday. There's one Bunz piece that I like, though; I'll try to post the pic below. I'd assume it could be done with most any size stone and with different metals. Thanks also for the idea of just asking my folks for a loose diamond: that might very well be the best way to go. :)

Thanks again!

bunn1.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was makign one picture up myself
1.gif

Unusual pendants.JPG

misaacka

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful collage! Thanks. :) I'd forgotten to check GA: the one on top, with the black (rubber?) cord is a knockout! There's a bit more metal in the tension pendants than I had in mind, but nothing beats a tension setting for that "floating" effect. You're giving me lots to think about! :)

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
misaacka! I was so excited to see your post... I'm going through a bit of the same thing right now.

I have a stone to set, and I want some flexibility (dress up or dress down options, different length chains, etc.) and I like more modern/minimalist designs. I just got a titanium tension set ring from boonerings.com (Bruce is a dream to work with!) and I'm exploring the option of a custom pendant setting made in titanium by Bruce as well.

I love the sliding/floating look you talk about... At a local jeweler, I saw a gorgeous and nearly invisible two-prong setting. There was a ring under the diamond to hold it in place, and a nearly non-existent basket. The chain was actually a neckwire that ran directly through the basket. Beautiful look, and the neckwire was nice because it was more matte and grey. I believe such things also exist in stainless steel, if you like that look. Good luck with the search, it can be fun!
1.gif

misaacka

Rough_Rock
Steve, that sapphire/diamond pendant is gorgeous, and most appropriate for me, since today's my birthday and sapphire is my birthstone!

quaeritur: I love what you describe with the neckwire. Something like that had run through my mind, since I know that Niessing has a neckwire that they sell different pendants for; I didn't look at it when I was in the store, though. My only reservation is that I had a neckwire way back when they first came out (don't wanna say when that was!), and I remember them being a bit uncomfortable--not what you'd want to wear for everyday. Maybe they're different now, though? I was looking at chains on Stuller.com and saw something called a "cocoon" chain that, as far as I could tell, looks very dense, almost like wire, but I assume it has more fluidity than wire:

cocoon.jpg

Now, that mounting you describe: it sounds perfect, much more elegant than what I was envisioning. Was it for a round, a pear . . . ?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday misaacka! Today is my daughter's birthday too. My other daughter was born in April. I had my anniversary ring made out of sapphires and a diamond so it's kind of a mother's ring too. Of course, I would not have done this if they'd been born in months with yucky birthstones!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/12/2004 9:56:36 PM misaacka wrote:

My only reservation is that I had a neckwire way back when they first came out (don't wanna say when that was!), and I remember them being a bit uncomfortable--not what you'd want to wear for everyday. Maybe they're different now, though?
----------------

Something we just got that has a nice seamless look like a neckwire that holds its shape but with more flexibility/wearability is a round omega like these 1, 1.5 and 2.0 mm chains: http://www.gwensjewelry.com/herco/her53.htm. I think they make them in both 18k and platinum.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------

My only reservation is that I had a neckwire way back when they first came out (don't wanna say when that was!), and I remember them being a bit uncomfortable--not what you'd want to wear for everyday. Maybe they're different now, though? --------------

Actually, neckwires are my choice. I find the new ones to be uncomfortable. I only wear the vintage ones. But, I only wear the ones from Scandinavia. They are appropriate to a women's anatomy.
9.gif
My choice of jewelry is very moderne.

I think any good benchmen can sketch you up something interesting. Good luck & have some fun.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if that is "neckwire proper" but there is something by this name made in Ti that are quite flexible. In the US I found them sold by Boccia (LINK). These are much "stiffer" and hold the round shape more than the omega necklaces made of traditional jewelry metals besides being really weightless
1.gif
Boccia has steel ones online, but I have no idea how those feal.

I am using a few 'stiff' ones made of gold tubes (those come ready made in any reasonable size and length) and it takes little to bend them on your own shape and size. Mine are rather thin - 4mm outer diameter, rough satin finish, round section. The tubes are much more stiff (so easier to bend in shape) and durable than true wire would be. Here's the source: Semar semilavorati You should really see their woven gold
5.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------

Steve, that sapphire/diamond pendant is gorgeous, and most appropriate for me, since today's my birthday and sapphire is my birthstone!

quaeritur: I love what you describe with the neckwire. Something like that had run through my mind, since I know that Niessing has a neckwire that they sell different pendants for; I didn't look at it when I was in the store, though. My only reservation is that I had a neckwire way back when they first came out (don't wanna say when that was!), and I remember them being a bit uncomfortable--not what you'd want to wear for everyday. Maybe they're different now, though? I was looking at chains on Stuller.com and saw something called a 'cocoon' chain that, as far as I could tell, looks very dense, almost like wire, but I assume it has more fluidity than wire:

cocoon.jpg

Now, that mounting you describe: it sounds perfect, much more elegant than what I was envisioning. Was it for a round, a pear . . . ?----------------

Happy (slightly belated) birthday! I am so envious that you have the beautiful sapphire as your birthstone!
21.gif

I've tried a couple of neckwires. The one at Tiffany's was awful... uncomfortable and it didn't lie flat -it stuck out from my neck in a very unflattering way. Others I've tried were very comfortable, so I guess it's hit or miss.

I also tried the Omega chain. The one I saw was bigger than I wanted, but very cool, white gold (or platinum, I forget) on one side, and yellow gold on the other. It was more than I wanted to spend though, especially since I really never wear yellow gold any more.

Ana, thanks for posting that Ti cable! I might just have to look into that!!!
1.gif

Oh, and the setting was for a .48 ct round brilliant
1.gif

[Edited to add: I really like that cocoon chain too... hmmmm... lots of good ideas here!]

misaacka

Rough_Rock
Wow, I take a day off to get ready to start teaching, and y'all just keep posting great stuff to feed my fancy!

Elmo, I love those omega chains--if only there were one in grey gold. You know, I like the look of neckwires, but I'm pretty sure I don't want one, at least not for a diamond pendant. (No offense intended, Fire&Ice: I do think they look great!) One of these omegas just might be the way to go.

Fire&Ice, do you have any advice on how to go about locating a good benchman? I think you're right: I'm pretty close to knowing what I want, and it's quite simple. I just need someone who can help me refine the details and then execute it for me.

Valeria, thanks for the links! The Boccia pieces are wonderful. If I can't find what I want in grey gold, I might just have to look at Ti and steel instead.

*Sigh* So much to think about, and I haven't even *started* looking for a diamond yet!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results