shape
carat
color
clarity

Look for help with diamond and ring

JayR

Rough_Rock
Hi All! Love the forum by the way.

I am looking at buying an platinum engagement ring and spending approximately $6000. From researching and reading the forum size is most important, then cut, then color, and inclusions I personally do not care about as long as they are not visible by eye.

I have narrowed the diamonds down to these from the search on this site. https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-...80&l_country=&l_region=&type_search=1&all=all

And am looking to get this setting http://d.neadiamonds.com/diamond-jewelry/Rings#DT18 With the real diamond in center and two fancy/vivid man made blue stones on the sides. (opposite of what the picture shows)

My two questions are.

1. Do I order the ring from DNEA and the loose center diamond and have a local jeweler set it? Or is there a better way?

2. Of the 6 diamonds highlighted. Suggestions on which one I should get?

3. I am not in a rush to purchase, as I do not need it right now. Are prices fairly constant? Is it more expensive or less of a selection due to the holidays?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1-looks nice, no worries
2/3-same stone, looks fine
4-request IS
5-nope
6-my first preference - I like this type of patterning, would ask for hearts pic retake

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Queen Mum and Yssie have you covered with the stone guidance. As for the setting, I think it's easier to purchase the stone and setting in the same place. That said, many people have purchased the stone from one vendor and have had it set by a second vendor. I think it becomes even more of a hassle if you have three vendors involved (i.e., stone from one vendor, setting from another vendor, and then a third vendor to set the stone). Again, people have done it in the past, so it's not an impossible task.

However, for ease of the transaction, if you chose the stone from James Allen you could also get a setting from them. Have you seen this one? http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-4145.asp It actually costs less than the one you posted from d.nea and is a little bit more *substantial.* Just a thought.

JayR

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

I do like that James Allen setting better but I would want it with blue diamond side stones as stated.

Would I order the side stones separate and then and send to James Allen??

Thats what I am confused about.

EDIT: Spoke with James allen and they stated that the setting comes with the diamonds no changes.

-Jay

JayR

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I'm sure I will be contacting you soon!

I actually found a setting that is close to the James Allen one.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_5923?builder=BYOR

Now again the question is... I am buying the setting from one vendor, side diamonds from another, and solitaire diamond from a third.

So whats the best way to get this turned into a finished product??

What is the typical cost for setting diamonds so I can work it into by budget?

JayR

Rough_Rock
Sorry would not let me edit my post.

Hmm... back to square one.

Blue Nile does not sell settings by themselves.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JayR|1293581100|2808325 said:
Sorry would not let me edit my post.

Hmm... back to square one.

Blue Nile does not sell settings by themselves.

I believe they actually do sell certain settings alone - or at least they did when I called about one last year, perhaps call to confirm if you really like it?

JayR

Rough_Rock
I talked with someone at Blue Nile.

They said Blue Nile does not sell an "unfinished product". If it is a 3 stone setting you must buy the three stones from Blue Nile.

Anyone else know where I can get just the setting?

How much does a custom one cost? The word "custom" scares me because I think its going to blow my budget.

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I can't speak for other vendors, but custom rings don't automatically come with a huge price premium, just because it is 'custom'. The three largest factors in the cost are the materials (metal, diamonds), labor (stone setting, finishing, etc.) and design. Using CAD/CAM processes greatly reduces the design cost. Generally speaking, a custom ring could cost less (fewer diamonds and metal) or more, depending on the specifics and what you are comparing it against, but it doesn't automatically break a budget just by being custom.

Without knowing any specifics, a custom ring would probably cost less than buying a stock three-stone ring and replacing the side diamonds with different side diamonds, since you end up paying twice for diamonds and labor. You can probably get free quotes from different companies on a custom ring, without going through the entire design process.

JayR

Rough_Rock
Mainly because of Eric's reputation on here...

I think I am going to let him make a custom ring for me. I'm sure Eric won't mind the plug.. =)

To save money I am probably going to go with Palladium, as it is supposed to look and behave like Platinum. That way i can spend more on diamonds and stay within my budget.

Here is the first draft. Any suggestions...? Its not like I am an expert ring designer.

In the James Allen version they have holes under each diamond. Is that to meant to enhance something?

JR-02a.jpg

JR-02b.jpg

JR-02c.jpg

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
JayR|1295025378|2822716 said:
In the James Allen version they have holes under each diamond. Is that to meant to enhance something?

For easier cleaning of the stones.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone-cold11|1295026310|2822733 said:
JayR|1295025378|2822716 said:

For easier cleaning of the stones.

Yes, the holes do help.

JayR

Rough_Rock
Any other design issues I should be cognizant of??

Eric let me know the person setting the stones drills those out so that's why it was not shown in the picture.

D.NEA definitely gets my customer service award so far.

Last time I bought a ring for a girl I bought 5 of them, picked the one I liked best and sent the other 4 back.

This is clearly a much larger purchase just going on faith and reputation.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. A wedding ring won't sit flush against that design unless you buy a curved band - or have a notched band made, if that is a concern. If you go with a notched band may as well have them make it whilst they have your Ering there, to make sure all fits well. I personally have a threestone with a non-flush straight band and love the little gap, others don't like it - is all preference.

2. How thick is the shank and how long are her fingers (specifically space from palm to first knuckle)? The addition of the wedding band will add a few mm, depending on what you choose - you'll want to make sure that she is aware of how thick the set will be, and how it will fit on her finger.

3. And on the wedding band note - a thicker ring, or two thinner rings worn together will fit more tightly than a thinner ring or two thin rings, so you might want to have the Ering and Wband both made slightly loose - say 1/4 size - to ensure they are comfortable when worn as a set. Well, unless you are having a three-year engagement, in which case fit of the Ering by itself takes priority since it will be that way for a good long time ::)

4. Find out dnea's policy on having maintenance work done/retipping prongs, resizing, etc. It is a particularly brittle metal and you only want your ring worked on by someone experienced with the metal, and (good) palladium jewellers are unfortunately few and far between, depending on where you are having work done locally may not be an option. If repairs are particularly expensive add shipping into the mix and you might find a different metal choice cheaper in the long run.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center stone looks like it is set a little low to me. I'd raise it just a little. The other thing I would ask you is why you are using simulated blue stones in the ring rather than sapphires? I would really encourage you to think about using real gemstones.

Oh, and in reference to what Yssie said, I have a strong preference for a regular wedding band that is not notched or curved so it can be worn alone at times you might not want to wear the other ring. I also think the little gap looks good because it shows it is two rings rather than one wide ring.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful ring!!!!

JayR

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
The center stone looks like it is set a little low to me. I'd raise it just a little. The other thing I would ask you is why you are using simulated blue stones in the ring rather than sapphires? I would really encourage you to think about using real gemstones.

Oh, and in reference to what Yssie said, I have a strong preference for a regular wedding band that is not notched or curved so it can be worn alone at times you might not want to wear the other ring. I also think the little gap looks good because it shows it is two rings rather than one wide ring.

Thanks for the advice all! Just to set the record straight. They are NOT simulated blue diamonds. They are man made blue diamonds, which is a BIG difference. It has all the exact same characteristics as a real diamond because it is a real diamond formed by the same processes that occur naturally on earth.

JayR

Rough_Rock
I was just about to buy the James Allen diamond, but it got sold, they have a similar one in my price range. ($2700-$3000)

There are similar Jame Allen stones just a little step up which is fine.

There are also now options from Eternity Diamonds which can go up 1/10 of a carat and stay in my price range.

Opinions again?? Eternity Diamonds doesn't seem to provide nearly the same amount of information.

https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-...80&l_country=&l_region=&type_search=1&all=all

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ED will not provide images or ISs I believe so you'll want to have them ship the stone out to you or to an independent appraiser to confirm nothing wonky hiding in the numbers on the report.

You'll have to factor the shipping cost & appraisal fee if you go that route into your final estimation - would say $100-300 depending on how you ship/whom you choose.

JayR

Rough_Rock
Thanks... that was my dilemma... I'll probably get the VS2 James Allen then.. looks like a pretty stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results