shape
carat
color
clarity

(long story) Jewelers v/s on-line Jewelers Personal experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragongem

Rough_Rock
So here is my story/experience with on-line jewelers v/s jewelers. I searched for my perfect cut stone high and low for 3 months. I must’ve been to at least 40 jewelers. They threw around phrases like 12% below rapaport report, 20-40% below retail etc but really for my 1.20 carat round F VS1 varied 10%-20% more than on-line stores. When I asked for the ideal cut they all basically said the same thing “well you can’t pick by the #s, let your eye be the judge.” Only one person really entertained us but he didn’t have the stone that I was searching for. I gave him a couple of wks to find my stone & he never even got back to us even after a couple calls. SO….

Exhausted we went to Asian jewelers to see if we can get a better deal. Straight up they said “We don’t carry VS1, no resell value. VVS1 is the lowest that we have.” Overall majority of them just had this look that everyone should be able to afford that VVS1. Seriously? No really SERIOUSLY? So for a 1 carat F VVS1 GIA EX cut, we got quotes from 9500-12000/carat. Consequently the best deal we got offered is actually 9500 for a 1.02 F IF ideal cut but IF did not appeal to me as a 1.20 carat
31.gif

So I started looking on-line more & stumbled upon the diamond guy & his free Diamond book. Believing him briefly, I trusted him to find me my PERFECT cut diamond. The result, $18,500 for a 1.30 F VS1 diamond & the diamond does not offer more than 90% light return. If I had that kind of a budget, I'd go to Tiffany’s. Meanwhile I was writing to Julia at Bluenile back & forth who told me to go on Pricescope and find out what people’s opinions are on this Diamond Guy. Julia was totally helpful & she didn’t mind writing pages of long emails to explain to me on what I wanted know. I would’ve been happy w/ them except the information on their website wasn’t enough for me to look at. I had to write to ask for the Sarin report every time. I browsed through many other websites & the same thing, not enough information aside from Whiteflash, who also had more settings btw!! I emailed them for questions too and they were very good about answering them.

Still not finding the one, I was about to give up when Julie on pricescope suggested GOG which I totally loved because they do go the extra mile and post up the Sarin report, GemEx Report, Gem Advisor & the Helium Report. I eventually found my diamond w/ the help of people & information provided on pricescope. I have to say 1 negative thing about GOG though, because they are a business & not primarily an on-line business, their hours are very limited. It was hard to contact them via email. Not all my emails got replied & my confirmation email/receipt did not get sent. Plus the website is not user friendly as BN or Whiteflash. However when I called to ask for diamond comparison assistance, Charles on the other end was very helpful and friendly. So just CALL!!!
Lastly THANK YOU people on pricescope for educating me & helping me finding my stone!!
36.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome. Did you get the 1.23?

So BN is starting to pay attention to us, eh?

dragongem

Rough_Rock
Yes I did. I won't see it till Friday but I just can't wait!
41.gif

I never knew that BN didn't notice you guys

Carlotta

Shiny_Rock
Will it come to you set?? What setting??? Can''t wait to see pictures.
2.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you did some exhaustive research and serious pavement-pounding. Good for you! I''m glad you were able to find something nice at GOG. I have to agree though, when I was working with them, it was sometimes hard to get a hold of them or get quick responses.

This is the first I''ve heard about someone at BN pointing a customer to PS! Cool!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for sharing your experience- it really does help!
Can''t wait to see pics!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m so happy for you! I would be happy to work with Jonathan if he had a stone that was near my specs.

So what are the specs on your stone and which setting did you choose?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(aside) welll, BN is a PS advertiser... Really great when looking up AGS princesses.

dragongem

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 8:34:06 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''m so happy for you! I would be happy to work with Jonathan if he had a stone that was near my specs.

So what are the specs on your stone and which setting did you choose?

o really? what kind of stone are you looking for?

1.23 F VS2 H&A EX/EX/EX
6.92 x 6.94 x 4.25
girdle: 1.44%
Table: 55.64%
Depth: 61.36%
Crown: 34.47 Depth: 15.30%
Pavilion: 40.84 Depth: 43.09%

I didn''t choose a setting yet. It will probably be the most simple band but I''ll post it up when I do get it!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats on what sounds like an educational experience resulting in the purchase of a beautiful diamond!! pictures!

interesting re: BN ...they are a PS vendor i think (or were previously) but they are so large it's interesting to hear their reps are surfing or lurking PS and recommending it to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results