shape
carat
color
clarity

Local Vs Internet (I''m SURE this is covered SOMEPLACE)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laxinthe303

Rough_Rock
My apologies for posting a thread which I am SURE is covered other places. I am VERY active in some other forums and the standard response to new posters is "DO A SEARCH!".

Well I did, and I couldn''t find any post that addressed the moralities of internet versus local B&M purchases.

My question is based on this presupposition:

There are no local vendors which can match blue nile''s diamond prices, and likely cannot come within $500 of their price.

If I am incorrect, and things have changed - PLEASE let me know. I ALWAYS prefer the ability to purchase locally.

That being said, I HAVE searched at the local independents and basically they couldn''t even KIND of approach BN on price.

I would like a custom setting though, and that will have to be done locally, or at an independent as I want some things done to the setting which are too custom for a large place to do.

Is it immoral to purchase a diamond for 8,000-10,000 online and then have a local place set it?

Are you better off leaving that kind of custom work for customers who are purchasing diamonds at the shop itself?

I''d like a band of silver inlaid in the Tiffany solitaire setting, and a ruby set in the ring opposite the gold on the inside of the band.

That is fairly intricate, but costwise I am anticipating it will be less than $1,000.

Is the mark-up on custom work high enough that it makes sense to have the work done locally, or is it so insignificant (And most profit derived from diamond sales) that it''s almost insulting?

Basically, I want to know from the experts here if its insulting to walk into a jeweler with an internet purchased diamond and say "Now can you create a setting for this diamond which I went behind your back and purchased?"

Curious to hear all feedback!

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
There is nothing immoral at all about buying a diamond online then having it set locally. I did that for several reasons:

1) I wanted to buy a great diamond, which I did with GoodOldGold. Incidentally, I bought a great diamond once from Blue Nile too. I like GOG because of all the info you see online with each diamond.

2) I wanted to see the diamond before having it set.

3) I wanted to try rings on, not just order from a photo online or in a catalog and end up with something that did not look good on my hand. I ended up finding a Tacori wedding set at a local shop that had a head that was perfect for my diamond, so I considered it serendipity.

I repeated this when I bought a .63 ct. round H&A diamond from GOG and took it to a Richard Landi show at the same jeweler I got my Tacori set from. I like doing it this way. I have learned that I usually don't like rings in real life that I like online, and vice versa, so trying rings on before ordering is imperative to me.

I have another jeweler that I use all the time to put together stones and settings that I have bought on Ebay no less. He doesn't seem to mind, even though he does not make much money off of me. It is really not any of the jeweler's business where you bought the diamond. I don't think you can say that you "went behind his back" by buying a diamond elsewhere. That is your choice as a consumer. If a jeweler makes you feel bad for buying your diamond online, find another jeweler.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The cost for custom work can vary quite a bit. I found a local jeweler who is quite happy to work on my various projects and charges quite reasonable rates. He set my blue nile studs. I keep coming back to his store. And, every once in a while, I purchase something from his shop as well.

The right shop will be happy to do your project, because they are thinking long term, not just about getting one quick sale. Ask around, look at the work in their store, compare prices, and hopefully you will find someone who wants your business today, and into the future as well.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where are you located? A good Tiffany replica usually runs more than 1000 in Pt.

PinkSummer

Rough_Rock
I don''t think it is going behind their back to purchase a diamond online. It''s not as though we are talking a few dollars... you can save hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars. That much is enough to get what you really want from your budget. I purchased two loose diamonds to set into earrings and the jeweler that set them for me couldn''t believe the price I got for them. I would never have been able to afford (or want to spend that much money) if I wouldn''t have bought online (two 0.35 I, SI1 AGS000 round ideal stones). You just need to do your homework. So go ahead and have fun shopping!!
p.s. I also bought my diamond for my e-ring online and had it put into a custom setting with matching wedding band...and the jeweler couldn''t have cared less where I got the diamond...
21.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 9:54:15 PM
Author: JulieN
Where are you located? A good Tiffany replica usually runs more than 1000 in Pt.

That''s what I was thinking...and why do you want silver inlaid in it? Silver is not usually something that is put into nice pieces of jewelry as it tarnishes and just won''t last long term...

That being said, I also prefer to purchase locally. But if they can''t come close on the price, there is nothing wrong with going where you need to to get the best price. But personally I think there are better online vendors than Bluenile...

Cynd33

Rough_Rock
we purchased our diamond through a local wholesaler then contacted a reputable jeweller in Sydney to have a custom made setting...

when i was doing my research in the area for a jeweller, the only issue i came across was that the stone had to be of a certain ''quality'' for the jeweller to set it as to some extent the branding on the ring would come from their business and they wanted to keep a high standard in terms of the diamonds and stones they worked with (hope that all made sense)

other than that every place we went and visited were very helpful - hope that helps

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 9:35:12 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
There is nothing immoral at all about buying a diamond online then having it set locally. I did that for several reasons:

1) I wanted to buy a great diamond, which I did with GoodOldGold. Incidentally, I bought a great diamond once from Blue Nile too. I like GOG because of all the info you see online with each diamond.

3) I wanted to try rings on, not just order from a photo online or in a catalog and end up with something that did not look good on my hand. I ended up finding a Tacori wedding set at a local shop that had a head that was perfect for my diamond, so I considered it serendipity.

I repeated this when I bought a .63 ct. round H&A diamond from GOG and took it to a Richard Landi show at the same jeweler I got my Tacori set from. I like doing it this way. I have learned that I usually don''t like rings in real life that I like online, and vice versa, so trying rings on before ordering is imperative to me.

I have another jeweler that I use all the time to put together stones and settings that I have bought on Ebay no less. He doesn''t seem to mind, even though he does not make much money off of me. It is really not any of the jeweler''s business where you bought the diamond. I don''t think you can say that you ''went behind his back'' by buying a diamond elsewhere. That is your choice as a consumer. If a jeweler makes you feel bad for buying your diamond online, find another jeweler.
The key word here is "use". If you want good service, you need to allow the people who are offering the level of service you expect more than than crumbs left over after you have spent the King''s Ransom elsewhere. It may be all about you, but maybe then again...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
some discussion here...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:02:46 PM
Author: TheDoctor

I repeated this when I bought a .63 ct. round H&A diamond from GOG and took it to a Richard Landi show at the same jeweler I got my Tacori set from. I like doing it this way. I have learned that I usually don''t like rings in real life that I like online, and vice versa, so trying rings on before ordering is imperative to me.

I have another jeweler that I use all the time to put together stones and settings that I have bought on Ebay no less. He doesn''t seem to mind, even though he does not make much money off of me. It is really not any of the jeweler''s business where you bought the diamond. I don''t think you can say that you ''went behind his back'' by buying a diamond elsewhere. That is your choice as a consumer. If a jeweler makes you feel bad for buying your diamond online, find another jeweler.
The key word here is ''use''. If you want good service, you need to allow the people who are offering the level of service you expect more than than crumbs left over after you have spent the King''s Ransom elsewhere. It may be all about you, but maybe then again...

I think that''s pretty harsh. If that''s the way you treat your clients who only make small purchases at your shop I wouldn''t want to shop there.

At my local shop they treat me very well whether I am spending $100 or $1000.

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:11:59 PM
Author: neatfreak

The key word here is ''use''. If you want good service, you need to allow the people who are offering the level of service you expect more than than crumbs left over after you have spent the King''s Ransom elsewhere. It may be all about you, but maybe then again...

I think that''s pretty harsh. If that''s the way you treat your clients who only make small purchases at your shop I wouldn''t want to shop there.

Well said, neatfreak!

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Hey, it''s your assessment that he doesn''t make much money off of you.You said it, I ran with it.
Most of the benchies make under 50 k a year. Many make half of that or less. I don''t know how you would appreciate your livlihood being undercut by a discount operation that offers commodities at an understood price but professional services that are not what is expected...

As tradesmen and women, we asked to put together components bought elsewhere for tens of thousands of dollars, items whose sales we depend on selling to feed our families, yet we kindly provide the service because we choose to. There is little or no profit. We can count on down the road sales if we are fools.

Been around long enough to see where things are going. I stand by what I have said.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:30:48 PM
Hey, it's your assessment that he doesn't make much money off of you.You said it, I ran with it.

Most of the benchies make under 50 k a year. Many make half of that or less. I don't know how you would appreciate your livlihood being undercut by a discount operation that offers commodities at an understood price but professional services that are not what is expected...

As tradesmen and women, we asked to put together components bought elsewhere for tens of thousands of dollars, items whose sales we depend on selling to feed our families, yet we kindly provide the service because we choose to. There is little or no profit. We can count on down the road sales if we are fools.

Been around long enough to see where things are going. I stand by what I have said.

You can obviously choose to run your business how you wish, but I also stand by what I said. I will happily spend a bit more to buy local from a store who treats me well whether I am spending $100 or $1000. If a store doesn't treat me well when I am spending a small amount how can they reasonably expect me to make my large purchase there?

And honestly, I have received some of the best service anywhere from some of our virtual vendors here. So once again I think it's pretty harsh to assume that they are all providing bad professional services. Many of them are wonderful and provide more personal service than I have gotten at 99% of the B&M stores I visit.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:11:59 PM
Author: neatfreak

Well said NF.
2.gif

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Well, Doctor, I'm not sure what kind of doctor you are, but as the consumer, Yes, It is all about me!!!

My jeweler likes me and so does my diamond vendor. Thankfully I don't have to use your services with your attitude. Do you think all the jewelry jobs I have had done were crumbs? You are downright strange.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and just so you all know, the word Tiffany is a trademark. It''s a trademark, fiercely protected, because they make jewellery that is worth owning. They charge fair pricing for the effort they put into their quality. Nobody who buys their products will ever regret a purchase made there. The word Tiffany and replica should never appear in the same sentence. In reality, Tiffany replicas don''t exist. There are simply inferior copies of really great designs afloat, and using the Tiffany name to describe them is an nothing but an affront to generations of truly gifted and dedicated tradesmen.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey, it''s your assessment that he doesn''t make much money off of you.You said it, I ran with it.
Most of the benchies make under 50 k a year. Many make half of that or less. I don''t know how you would appreciate your livlihood being undercut by a discount operation that offers commodities at an understood price but professional services that are not what is expected...

And this is exactly the kind of attitude that causes "where things are going" - customers are tired of being treated like crap from "The Local Jeweller", who often carries inferior products, exaggerates diamond quality and talks down to customers.
We are now more educated and savvy, and therefore operations like yours feel threatened. I can tell you hardly anyone falls for the "intenet vendors are scary and dodgy" line - either keep up, or lose out.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:40:34 PM

Oh, and just so you all know, the word Tiffany is a trademark. It's a trademark, fiercely protected, because they make jewellery that is worth owning. They charge fair pricing for the effort they put into their quality. Nobody who buys their products will ever regret a purchase made there. The word Tiffany and replica should never appear in the same sentence. In reality, Tiffany replicas don't exist. There are simply inferior copies of really great designs afloat, and using the Tiffany name to describe them is an nothing but an affront to generations of truly gifted and dedicated tradesmen.
Thanks, but we can all decide for ourselves what is worth owning without a lecture from you. You have a very condescending attitude.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:41:49 PM
Author: arjunajane

And this is exactly the kind of attitude that causes ''where things are going'' - customers are tired of being treated like crap from ''The Local Jeweller'', who often carries inferior products, exaggerates diamond quality and talks down to customers.
We are now more educated and savvy, and therefore operations like yours feel threatened. I can tell you hardly anyone falls for the ''intenet vendors are scary and dodgy'' line - either keep up, or lose out.
Yup, the internet buyer is a savvy one. You need to keep up and get in the game. I mean that sincerely David.

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:41:49 PM

And this is exactly the kind of attitude that causes ''where things are going'' - customers are tired of being treated like crap from ''The Local Jeweller'', who often carries inferior products, exaggerates diamond quality and talks down to customers.
We are now more educated and savvy, and therefore operations like yours feel threatened. I can tell you hardly anyone falls for the ''intenet vendors are scary and dodgy'' line - either keep up, or lose out.
Where things are going is as follows:
Vendors caution clients not to use ultrasonic cleaners.
Rhodium wears off, wears off again, platinum marrs and bends, stones loosen, prongs catch, jewellery owner cannot possibly have service done by original $10,000 vendor because she can''t wait that long..so she attends local jeweller.
Local jeweller says I made no profit, I am going to have to tell you that this mounting is a disaster, and that it will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Client writes to Pricescope to tell everyone that local jeweller is an @sshole.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 11:44:13 PM

Oh, and just so you all know, the word Tiffany is a trademark. It's a trademark, fiercely protected, because they make jewellery that is worth owning. They charge fair pricing for the effort they put into their quality. Nobody who buys their products will ever regret a purchase made there. The word Tiffany and replica should never appear in the same sentence. In reality, Tiffany replicas don't exist. There are simply inferior copies of really great designs afloat, and using the Tiffany name to describe them is an nothing but an affront to generations of truly gifted and dedicated tradesmen.
Thanks, but we can all decide for ourselves what is worth owning without a lecture from you. You have a very condescending attitude.
Ditto.
I never understand why a "local" vendor who has their knickers in a knot over the succes of internet vendors, would choose to come to PS to complain about it - Dr, I doubt you will get much sympathy here matey.

And BTW, since when are ultrasonic cleaners the cause of all problems? I think you may have some misinformation..

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 12:39:42 AM

Oh, and just so you all know, the word Tiffany is a trademark. It''s a trademark, fiercely protected, because they make jewellery that is worth owning. They charge fair pricing for the effort they put into their quality. Nobody who buys their products will ever regret a purchase made there. The word Tiffany and replica should never appear in the same sentence. In reality, Tiffany replicas don''t exist. There are simply inferior copies of really great designs afloat, and using the Tiffany name to describe them is an nothing but an affront to generations of truly gifted and dedicated tradesmen.
Ditto.
I never understand why a ''local'' vendor who has their knickers in a knot over the succes of internet vendors, would choose to come to PS to complain about it - Dr, I doubt you will get much sympathy here matey.

And BTW, since when are ultrasonic cleaners the cause of all problems? I think you may have some misinformation..
Issue here is you will all get the service you wish to pay for. The direction the trade is going in involves cheap labour and questionable quality in favour of fast delivery and quick product turnover.
If you vote for that with your dollars, then Keynsian economics will dictate the outcome.
This isn''t about someone''s success over someone else''s.
Our company has few competitors, and we don''t come to PS seeking business. I am very comfortable, thank you.
We come here to defend the B&M contingent who don''t even know this forum exists. There are some hard working, knowlegeable, decent people out there, mostly whom are NOT IN MALLS and actually work with thier hands, versus traders who add no value to anything and treat customers like fish. You have to look a little beyond the shopping plaza to find the good service people.

I found these jewellery forums by total accident during a Google search about 6 years ago, and was horrified at how various B&M jewellers were being dragged through the mud by a cyber-gang of bullies fuelled by gawd knows what kind of inspiration. Lots of shills, it was quite disgusting.
I decided to participate because the world needs a variety of views. Surprised at how people got real quiet following my posts, I have pursued this line of questioning behaviour since that time.
I gain nothing of a personal or business advantage by being here. My contributions are a means of providing some balance. Such balance was necessary in this particular thread, and I apologize for taking it up in a confrontational fashion with one poster who ruffled my feathers. If some of you decide that my posts are inflammatory and wish to report them, I am quite prepared to accept a sound spanking from the moderators.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 1:06:37 AM

Date: 10/31/2008 12:39:42 AM

Ditto.
I never understand why a 'local' vendor who has their knickers in a knot over the succes of internet vendors, would choose to come to PS to complain about it - Dr, I doubt you will get much sympathy here matey.

Issue here is you will all get the service you wish to pay for. The direction the trade is going in involves cheap labour and questionable quality in favour of fast delivery and quick product turnover.
If you vote for that with your dollars, then Keynsian economics will dictate the outcome.
This isn't about someone's success over someone else's.
Our company has few competitors, and we don't come to PS seeking business. I am very comfortable, thank you.
We come here to defend the B&M contingent who don't even know this forum exists. There are some hard working, knowlegeable, decent people out there, mostly whom are NOT IN MALLS and actually work with thier hands, versus traders who add no value to anything and treat customers like fish. You have to look a little beyond the shopping plaza to find the good service people.

I found these jewellery forums by total accident during a Google search about 6 years ago, and was horrified at how various B&M jewellers were being dragged through the mud by a cyber-gang of bullies fuelled by gawd knows what kind of inspiration. Lots of shills, it was quite disgusting.
I decided to participate because the world needs a variety of views. Surprised at how people got real quiet following my posts, I have pursued this line of questioning behaviour since that time.
I gain nothing of a personal or business advantage by being here. My contributions are a means of providing some balance. Such balance was necessary in this particular thread, and I apologize for taking it up in a confrontational fashion with one poster who ruffled my feathers. If some of you decide that my posts are inflammatory and wish to report them, I am quite prepared to accept a sound spanking from the moderators.
Like I said, I don't think you will convert anyone with your speeching. Yes, I paid alot less and I got a heck of alot better service than I have in any B&M (and I don't shop in mauls) - actualy, the great service was the part that surprised me, the great product and prices I expected. Everyone here is talking from their experience with B&M jewellers, maul or otherwise. You are not doing anything to dispel these impressions.
I think you are seriously narrow minded and misinformed about the PS vendors, and your accusations towards the posters here is whats "quite disgusting".

I have no desire to continue this exchange with you !

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The Doctor is right in some regards. Internet rings do often end up in local shops for service, as a high polish platinum rings needs frequent polishing to retain its luster, and it is not convenient to send a ring in the mail just for polishing. So do not begrudge The B&M''s their due profit as they are invaluable in providing service. I can understand a little bitterness when an entire tradition and livelihood is being threatened by a bunch of extrremely low margin operating business. This can be seen as shrinking the pie for everybody. I do not say we should weep for them, but have a little respect for the venerable tradition.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
To answer the original poster and ignore the trolling.....

I have a benchman that is happy to take on my projects with any stone I bring in and is well rewarded for his work while charging me a fair price.
I have sent a ton of work his way, mostly repairs but a bunch of resets and a few customs jobs.

On the other hand there are several around my area that cop an attitude if you didn''t buy the stone from them.
I just kept looking until I found a good one that was willing to work with me.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 1:57:34 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer
The Doctor is right in some regards. Internet rings do often end up in local shops for service, as a high polish platinum rings needs frequent polishing to retain its luster, and it is not convenient to send a ring in the mail just for polishing. So do not begrudge The B&M's their due profit as they are invaluable in providing service. I can understand a little bitterness when an entire tradition and livelihood is being threatened by a bunch of extrremely low margin operating business. This can be seen as shrinking the pie for everybody. I do not say we should weep for them, but have a little respect for the venerable tradition.
No one is due a profit, profit must be earned and if someone wants to earn profit from me it will be on terms acceptable to me.
No consumer owes a profit to anyone who has not earned it and it has to be under terms acceptable to the consumer.
Jewelers aren't microsoft even if some like to act like it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2008 1:57:34 AM
Author: Diamond Explorer
The Doctor is right in some regards. Internet rings do often end up in local shops for service, as a high polish platinum rings needs frequent polishing to retain its luster, and it is not convenient to send a ring in the mail just for polishing. So do not begrudge The B&M''s their due profit as they are invaluable in providing service. I can understand a little bitterness when an entire tradition and livelihood is being threatened by a bunch of extrremely low margin operating business. This can be seen as shrinking the pie for everybody. I do not say we should weep for them, but have a little respect for the venerable tradition.
Yes, and they charge an arm and leg for that clean and polish !
Have a little respect that most of us also have local jewellers that we treat well and bring business to, so please don''t lecture.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It is not insulting to ask a jeweler to set diamond bought elsewhere. But Be prepared to spend considerably more for a quality custom setting. I would say a fair price for the kind of work your talkng about is 2.5k+. Anyless and you demean the master craftsmanship required to make a truly spectacular work in platinum, even in white gold for that matter. Sure it may only take a few hours, but one must consider the lengthy study required to produce such craft.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
I am currently working with 3 different people/vendors for a diamond....my local B&M, a diamond broker & GOG online. Having looked at over 2 dozen diamonds between the 3, this is what I''ve found.

1. Prices - were competitive between the 3
2. Selection was best with the broker
3. Service is best with the B&M.
4. GOG had the best in-depth evaluation.

There is no doubt that my B&M will do my custom setting. They made my & my DH''s WB and they are gorgeous. They also know that I''m shopping online and have not treated me any differently. Their only request is to allow them the opportunity to show me some stones. The broker knows that he must find the perfect stone as he does not offer refunds or upgrades like GOG or the B&M.

All the dealers know that no stones are identical so it''s not like they''re trying to sell the same thing. I think that if you''re working with a reputable B&M they would understand that and not hold it against you. If they do, take your business somewhere else.

As for the B&M, I really want to buy my diamond from them. They offer great service, great prices on designer settings and their workmanship is second to none. Our rings look comparable to Maytal Hannah''s or Leon''s. They deserve to make some money from me but unfortunately, they have not shown me any stones that blew me away.

I hope it helps to know that there is someone else out there who is rooting for the B&M.

Diamond Explorer

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A quick buff under the wheel and a bath in the solution never costs much, often its given away. How is that an arm and a leg. When the total ring is worth thousands. Also, lets say they ask for 60 dollars for their time. negotiating in a nice way can get you quite far.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results