shape
carat
color
clarity

Local jewler or Online Jewler

Nez02

Rough_Rock
I was curious on your opinions on a local jeweler vs. an online jeweler such as whiteflash, GOG etc. I like the ability to look at the image scopes, use the HCA, etc online without sitting in front of a jeweler. But I love the ability to look at the diamond in front of me. I have been to many local jewelers and one has stuck out to me he has only showed me the best of what he has in my price range and they have been very beautiful. He was very honest and had the microscope out to show me all of the flaws and explain to me why they were graded the way they were and whether he agreed with the report. But I want to be sure I am buying the best diamond I can for the money and it seems to be much easier to do online. Also another concern would be in repair, cleanings, and prong checks after I purchase the diamond. What have your experiences been? Would you repeat your purchase?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you looking for a fancy or a round?

Where are you located? Because many of our jewelers are Brick and Mortar stones or have showrooms.

Let's get more information.

As for where I've been bought from. BGD and Pearlmans and Wink at High Performance Diamonds personally. And I'd recommend them all.

I have not but would buy from GOG and ERD and JA easily.

And I'm getting to know B2C... and I'd give them a chance for a stone. Settings, I haven't seen anything yet by them that isn't a CAD. But other that...

Nez02

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for the best round brilliant I can get for 6500 around a carat. I'm in ohio.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was looking, I simply could not find diamonds locally that were equivalent to what I could find at Good Old Gold and WhiteFlash, so I have bought from them several times. Compared to what I saw locally, I was able to get higher cut quality at a better price. After doing it the first time, I never looked back!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OHH!

WINK is in Boise, Ohio! http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/

And he can source you anything you want. And he's just fabulous. Give him a call tomorrow.

I would just call him and tell him to find you the best eyeclean H/I color eyeclean stone with a great idealscope that he can. Your budget has your pretty firmly in the I color range. But he may find you an H, so it's worth asking.

And he will. :wavey:

And then you can see them in person. And still get the benefits of working with a Pricescope vendor.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wink could likely get you this stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-289204 Which is a beauty. And has strong blue to boot! H color, clean and lovely.

And there is also this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.07-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-273408 Which is an AGS 0 with nice numbers. (Lab report below, I got it for you as it is not posted, just click on it).

Or you can just buy from JA. In which case you'd put them both on hold and ask for an idealscope image and then post it for us. And we'd help you chose.

And they have 60 days no questions asked return policy with shipping both ways covered. So... pretty bullet proof.

Either way, you get a gorgeous stone. And get it see it without risk. And you'll get to see it in person. :wavey:

Attachments

• 104068398001-pldqr.pdf
    375.1 KB · Views: 52

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1400561787|3676554 said:
Wink could likely get you this stone:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-289204 Which is a beauty. And has strong blue to boot! H color, clean and lovely.

And there is also this one: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.07-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-273408 Which is an AGS 0 with nice numbers. (Lab report below, I got it for you as it is not posted, just click on it).

Or you can just buy from JA. In which case you'd put them both on hold and ask for an idealscope image and then post it for us. And we'd help you chose.

And they have 60 days no questions asked return policy with shipping both ways covered. So... pretty bullet proof.

Either way, you get a gorgeous stone. And get it see it without risk. And you'll get to see it in person. :wavey:

Lurking and just wan't to chime in to say gypsy, you're pretty awesome for the help you give members here. Sure hope you are still around when I'm ready to pull the trigger (hint: probably by the end of the month ;))

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Boise is in that other state, idaho. :loopy:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
So when you say " in repair, cleanings, and prong checks" I'm assuming you mean warranty work or similar? My first engagement ring my husband bought from a store because they offered a warranty on the setting. However you really need to read between the lines. It has to be checked every 6 months. Sounds simple and easy but really I just never had time and then we moved away. When i did have an issue with my ring they said it was above the warranty stated. So things like repairs, cleanings and prong checks are NOT a selling point to me. Most jewelers will do cleanings and prong checks when you bring your ring to them at no costs. Repairs I can't put a dollar amount on as it will pend on your lifestyle and how hard she is on her rings. I can tell you I'm extremely hard on my rings and haven't really had any issues at all. Occasionally I have a pave pop out but it costs next to nothing to fix. Only other work I have had done is re sizing.

As a result I have always shopped online. Save on retail tax which is an added bonus. Most vendors give generous return windows so if you want to see it in RL then take it home and play around with it for a few weeks, no harm done.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone has seen the prices for jewellery in the shops in the UK, then one would appreciate why I have not bought anything in the shops for over 15 years!

Definitely online jewellers and imported from abroad for me.

DK :))

Nez02

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone so far for your stories and help. When I say warranty I just ment checks and cleanings. There us no warranty to purchase seperately at this jewler. It's an independent so none of the chain store gimmicks. He said he stands behind his work for life. I will put more effort into an online search and see what I can turn up. Thanks again and keep the stories coming please!

Sayde64

Rough_Rock
When I started looking for studs I went to three different B&M stores to determine size and understand prices. The best pair of studs I found was non-certed "7/8" total carats, measured .48 mm per stone, was marked "G" color and "I" clarity, in 14k martini settings, and was priced $2200 plus NYS tax. $2381.50 I looked at the stones under their scope and even to my untrained eye, the inclusions and feathers were very visible.

Shortly after, I purchased studs from a PS vendor. AGS 000 TCW .856, SI1 eye clean, measuring avg 4.85 mm, G and H color, "Select" quality, H&A, in the 14K settings of my choice for $2370.50. Oh, and if I ever want to upgrade, I can do that at this PS vendor.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1400566099|3676577 said:
Boise is in that other state, idaho. :loopy:

Face/palm. You are right. WHOOPS.

Sorry. :oops:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nez02|1400588590|3676677 said:
Thanks everyone so far for your stories and help. When I say warranty I just ment checks and cleanings. There us no warranty to purchase seperately at this jewler. It's an independent so none of the chain store gimmicks. He said he stands behind his work for life. I will put more effort into an online search and see what I can turn up. Thanks again and keep the stories coming please!

He will still clean and check your jewelry. Or another reputable store will.

I have my pieces cleaned at my local places all the time. And they check them over too.

As for anything beyond that: that's what insurance is for.

That H I found for you at JA is a FANTASTIC stone for your budget. I think you should put it on hold (no cost, no obligation), along with the other diamond and ask for an idealscope. Which will take 3 business days. That way you won't lose them while you gather your information and consider your options.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Listen to Gypsy!!! She's very knowledgeable about diamonds ( and other subjects too) :appl: :wavey:

Have you put a hold on it yet?????? :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results