shape
carat
color
clarity

Leverbacks vs studs

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do studs get all the love? Sticky thread in SMTB with lots of pages but nothing for leverbacks. What is it about leverback settings that makes them less popular than studs for diamonds?

My studs are currently set in martini settings, which I find uncomfortable on some days. I've been reading threads on martini settings and mine come to a sharp point that seems to be the reason for discomfort. I'm thinking about resetting but not sure which way to go - different martini settings, standard 4 prong baskets or leverbacks.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer diamonds on a leverback with just a little bit of movement. My only caveat is I prefer them to be very close to the ear, as close as possible. Happy to post some different examples of leverbacks if that will help you.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Out of all the diamond earrings I've worn over the decades--for me, the leverbacks were not only the most comfortable style, but nicest looking (I had many stud styles...). IMHO they showcased the diamonds the best.

cheers--Sharon

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1422461293|3823234 said:
I prefer diamonds on a leverback with just a little bit of movement. My only caveat is I prefer them to be very close to the ear, as close as possible. Happy to post some different examples of leverbacks if that will help you.
Examples and dimensions would be very helpful. TIA!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1422462010|3823242 said:
HI:

Out of all the diamond earrings I've worn over the decades--for me, the leverbacks were not only the most comfortable style, but nicest looking (I had many stud styles...). IMHO they showcased the diamonds the best.

cheers--Sharon
What was your favorite leverback style to showcase the stones?

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Leverbacks seem more secure to me. I know everyone says their studs stay on perfectly but I can recall losing a lot of earrings when I wore posts years ago. So I prefer leverbacks and would love to see photos of everyone's. I do find them a little harder to put on and the hinge more delicate.

Please post photos.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate studs for me. My holes are stretched out even though I have had one repaired and never wore heavy earrings.
Plus, by the time I get my diamond studs on they are dirty from trying to hold them and screw on the backs. Sort of
defeats the purpose of putting them on. I guess I could get different mounts for them with different backs but they would
still probably tilt.

So, they just sit in my jewelry box! I wish there was a pretty omega back for studs. Those are my favorite.

Edit ...would love to see pictures of everyone else's non-stud diamond earrings. I need some ideas!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1422462781|3823248 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon
What was your favorite leverback style to showcase the stones?

Fixed, not dangle--otherwise same.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/inspiration-al-diamond-earring-settings-403.htm

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have dimensions or length of the wire, but these are the shortest of short. The body of the earring sits just beneath the lobe. I have one other pair that is a little more modern, if you prefer that too.

The clover bezel setting for studs via Grace is also very comfortable on the ear. Would give the illusion of more scale too.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want something like this but for diamond studs. That way only a little bit of wiring shows under the stone and the diamond should
set where a normal stud would set. I just cant find anything like this for diamonds.

http://www.stuller.com/products/64468/?groupId=33367

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1422473581|3823337 said:
I don't have dimensions or length of the wire, but these are the shortest of short. The body of the earring sits just beneath the lobe. I have one other pair that is a little more modern, if you prefer that too.

The clover bezel setting for studs via Grace is also very comfortable on the ear. Would give the illusion of more scale too.
These are gorgeous! :love: I think the shorter wire looks better than the longer ones that leave too much airspace below the earlobe. How big are the stones? My studs are 6.5mm so a little afraid the stones would get lost in the hair without a halo.

Would love to see an ear shot and the more modern pair too.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
The other pair I have might be better, modern stones, probably bigger than this smaller pair, but also a short wire. I'll enlist help for some photos :)

Look at the little clover setting too. I have other bezel set studs and these are really well done by comparison. I bet Grace could put a super short wire on this and it would look wonderful. I'll send a ear shot of the stud when I have some help. http://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Earrings/116tcw-Old-European-Cut/i-s965LX9

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1422473714|3823339 said:
I want something like this but for diamond studs. That way only a little bit of wiring shows under the stone and the diamond should
set where a normal stud would set. I just cant find anything like this for diamonds.

I've never seen a setting like that for diamonds, only for pearls.

The other option that looks nice to me is something like this http://www.bluenile.com/halo-drop-diamond-earrings-14k-white-gold_32299?elem=img&track=product But is all of the pave too much for daily wear?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
These are the more modern pair. Pave will definitely dress it up!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

cheers--Sharon

I agree completely. I love the movement that dangles provide and leverbacks are secure and swingy and I love the way the diamonds catch the light and sparkle. I like a short dangle right below the earlobes. Sexy IMO.

RandG Love those earrings!

_26433.jpg

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Missy! They're tiny, but so sweet and very well made. I bought them in Prague years ago for my daughter who now doesn't want pierced ears :(

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1422475830|3823362 said:

The other option that looks nice to me is something like this http://www.bluenile.com/halo-drop-diamond-earrings-14k-white-gold_32299?elem=img&track=product But is all of the pave too much for daily wear?

Yes, that's basically the other option I've been thinking about. Have my stones mounted in dangles that would fit over a small
hoop. Since I never really go anywhere I need mine to be for casual wear. This might fit the bill if I use a solid gold hoop vs.
a diamond hoop.

RandG...I love your earrings. You have such a nice earring wardrobe!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1422477034|3823385 said:
Thank you Missy! They're tiny, but so sweet and very well made. I bought them in Prague years ago for my daughter who now doesn't want pierced ears :(

Well I think they are perfect and beautiful. Your daughter might change her mind down the road. I know I did many times with regards to piercing my ears.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love these short leverbacks. My longer ones seem more flimsy and tends to catch my comb when I brush my hair. Can this design be modified to make the stone interchangeable?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1422476176|3823370 said:
These are the more modern pair. Pave will definitely dress it up!
Very pretty but much less intricate than previous ones.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1422477257|3823389 said:

Yes, that's basically the other option I've been thinking about. Have my stones mounted in dangles that would fit over a small
hoop. Since I never really go anywhere I need mine to be for casual wear. This might fit the bill if I use a solid gold hoop vs.
a diamond hoop.
So more like an enhancer that would slide onto a hoop? I think that's a good option but would need to be custom probably unless your jeweler can add on a ring on a stock basket setting.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a personal preference that I do not like to wear dangling earrings or loops when I am wearing glasses.

Also, I do not believe they look good on me.

DK :))

ming

Shiny_Rock
I love leverbacks! I considered if for my recent earring purchase but wanted to try out the martini settings. If I tire of the studs I'm going to have them reset into leverbacks.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great inspiration here...

https://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/earrings

I prefer the longer space between end of lobe and gems since my piercing are not even. Both pair of earrings I've owned in this hook style or leverback, had spaces. Also suits my long face. Everyone is different!

cheers--Sharon

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm going to buy few leverback styles set with sims to test drive the look.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1422544475|3823832 said:
I think I'm going to buy few leverback styles set with sims to test drive the look.

That's a great idea!

Here are the clover studs I mentioned. I think something like this would look very good on a super short wire too. They have the illusion of greater scale.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, something is off for me in the clover look. I don't find the circle interruptions visually appealing.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1422480106|3823413 said:
tyty333|1422477257|3823389 said:

a diamond hoop.
So more like an enhancer that would slide onto a hoop? I think that's a good option but would need to be custom probably unless your jeweler can add on a ring on a stock basket setting.

Yes...I hope it would be too hard to put a hoop on a basket but I might have to find the right basket. Would probably need to find
the hoop/huggie earrings first to see how big the loops would need to be. If I ever get that project started I'll post pictures.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
funny this topic on the top of my mind as both my daughters have those god awful gauges in their ears. So I would love for them to have diamond earrings one is 23 and the other 25 but I have to get leverbacks as their holes are literally huge. it is hard to find preset studs in leverbacks the setting alone on WF is $425

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results