shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege setting ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
I''m planning to have an e-ring and matching wedding band made by Leon. I LOVE the look of the 3-sided pave, but am worried about damage with the stones rubbing against each other. So now I''m thinking of having both rings made with full eternity to maximize the BLING factor
19.gif
. Is that a bad idea? I know people say that the ring size can increase as one gets older, but the 3/4 eternity looks incomplete to me. Should I just get them made 1/4 size larger? My current e-ring by Mark Morrell is a size 5.25 and is slightly loose with the center diamond always sliding to the side. I''m worried if I get both rings in a 5.5, it will be too big? Any suggestions? And should I just throw caution to the wind and get the 3-sided half eternity?

Also, I noticed that a lot of the rings on Leon''s website have no ajours (Is that the correct term for the little holes on the inside of the ring?) Would you recommend having them put in? I like the fact that having no holes allows for the band to be engraved, but is there a noticible difference when it comes to cleaning the rings? Also will the holes make the ring less sturdy, especially for such thin bands?

Thanks,
Melanie

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Funny you ask about the full eternity... I am actually going to NY tomorrow and will be meeting with Leon on Monday, this is one of the things I will be discussing with him, so I would be happy to report back what I find out...
One of the settings on his site that I fell in love with had a very interesting insert in it. Go to his site and search for r782. you will see that it is a fully paved band with a thin rim inside that it says is used for sizing. I am going to ask him about it, but I am pretty sure it is a must for me bc I don't want the pave to stop anywhere!!

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
CR,

Thanks for pointing that ring out. I never noticed it before. I think the insert would be a perfect idea! I''ll have to email him about it. And let me know how your meeting goes....

Melanie

Delster

Ideal_Rock
CrookedRock could I be real impertinent and ask you to find something out for me? I have heard LM prefers his rings to be worn alone and I am wondering if he feels that way about all his designs, or is it specific to the three-sided pavé rings. Could you ask him for me pretty please? What I have in mind is a plain metal solitaire, and a plain metal wedding band. It's no problem if not, I'm just seizing the chance to be an opportunist as phone calls to NY from Ireland are a bit expensive. It wouldn't make sense for me to ring just to ask this one little thing!

Melanie, apologies for threadjacking your thread, I'll stop now! I'd love to see what you have in mind
35.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 4:36:52 PM
Author: Delster
CrookedRock could I be real impertinent and ask you to find something out for me? I have heard LM prefers his rings to be worn alone and I am wondering if he feels that way about all his designs, or is it specific to the three-sided pavé rings. Could you ask him for me pretty please? What I have in mind is a plain metal solitaire, and a plain metal wedding band. It''s no problem if not, I''m just seizing the chance to be an opportunist as phone calls to NY from Ireland are a bit expensive. It wouldn''t make sense for me to ring just to ask this one little thing!

Melanie, apologies for threadjacking your thread, I''ll stop now! I''d love to see what you have in mind
35.gif
No problem! I have an ongoing list of PS questions... LOL. I would have to assume that he would not be against that. It seems that he doesn''t like his pave to rub, but I will let you know what I find out...

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2008 5:07:50 PM
Author: CrookedRock

No problem! I have an ongoing list of PS questions... LOL. I would have to assume that he would not be against that. It seems that he doesn''t like his pave to rub, but I will let you know what I find out...
Thank you! Really appreciate it!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think having the insert put in is a great idea if you want to go full eternity. However, as others suggested leon will advise you to wear your rings separately and this is especially true if you get three-sided pave.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am having a ring remade right now and although it's not full eternity it is 3-sided pave and so I decided to go up a 1/4 of a size and will order the wedding band in the same size, which is full eternity.

re: the holes in the inside of the ring. there was a thread a while back about their purpose and I emailed Michael b because it was one of their rings being discussed as to why the lack of holes. leon's rings do not have holes either and my guess is the reasoning is the same. here's what he said:

there is another thread re: the holes in which I got a response from Michael b and thought it appropriate to post the info in this thread since his rings are the one's being discussed. this is the reason MB doesn't use them, of course there is other info that may support them but hopefully this will answer questions regarding the MB settings.

Traditionally, yellow gold was in vogue and the yellow background made the
diamonds look yellow, so holes were used to avoid the yellowing effect of
yellow gold.

MB focused on platinum for bridal and the diamonds actually looked
whiter with the reflection of the pure white metal beneath the diamond.

Also, holes in the back often result in lotion and other residue coming up
into the hole and making the diamonds filthy, forcing you to constantly use
ultra sonic cleaners which in turn loosen the diamonds.

Finally, holes are most often seen in jewelry that is cast to save the
manufacturer money on the amount of metal being used, so that you end up
with a more flimsy and less structurally integrous ring.

We make everything by hand, so structurally the ring is more sound, more
pure, more solid and more beautiful.

A jeweler making a ring by hand won't sit there and drill holes in the back
on purpose, that comes straight out of a wax/mold process which also results
in greater porosity than hand made jewelry.

Melanie611

Shiny_Rock
Delster - I was wondering the same thing about wearing the e-ring and the band together. I can understand about Leon not wanting it if the rings have side pave, but I don''t see see why it should be a problem if it has plain sides. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the look of the 3-sided band, but I''m currently leaning toward the 1-sided pave for this reason. I really want to wear both together. I also considered the 3-sided half eternity to decrease the cost if there is damage. But the style of ring I want won''t have diamonds on the head (since my center stone is only 1.31ct H&A) so I thought it might be better to remove the side diamonds altogether. Is there a particular style you''re looking at?

MrsSalvo - Thank you for all the info about the ajours. I thought the holes were preferred for cleaning reasons. This makes me feel a lot better about not having them since I really want the band engraved. My Mark Morrell ring has the holes under each diamond, even the tiny ones ones on the tapered shank.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Melanie, are you changing a Mark Morrell setting??? I would leave a sizing area and I would probably go pave on the top only if designing the rings from scratch.

Delster, Leon will say that he prefers his rings worn alone. But I will tell you that the classic solitaire CAN be worn with another ring as long as it is low. I think it is preferable for metal to touch metal, so I don''t see any issues with you having his classic solitaire with any kind of band that sits low and has a metal edge. You may just need to try them after you get your ring from him.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I have a 3 sided pave and I don''t plan on wearing a wedding band with it. Although GingerBcookie also has a 3 sided pave and she does wear a wedding band with it. I remember her saying that there weren''t damages yet. I have another friend that has a Leon and he told her he thought her ring (3 sided) was meant to be worn alone.

I personally thing that a wedding band would scratce up the scrollwork on the side of my ring.

Also, I got 3/4 eternity because I was scared about the sizing issue. Which was a good thing because it turned out that my ring WAS a little too big and had to be sized.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results