carat
color
clarity

Learning about emerald cuts

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello folks!

I have been lurking here a few times in the last few months. I have a boyfriend but we are not engaged at this time. I do believe it will happen for us but in the mean time I have been killing time here and there looking at different websites and starting to educate myself on diamonds. I am amazed at how knowledgeable the members are at PriceScope!!! Its a wealth of information!

With that said I hope I am not posting something that I couldn't find when I searched the forums. I really like emerald cut diamonds. When I eyeball at Jamesallen.com I notice two very different looks (at least to my very novice eyes) and I am not sure what causes the differences or if its something that truly is a lesser quality or just a personal preference.

This first one, when I looked at it online, from the top, it looks bright and I don't see such dark bands/facets/steps. I think I like this look more.
i_like.jpg

I don't think I like this one as much. When I look at it from the top (and other angles) I see dark, black bands/facets/steps. Why is this? Is this inferior to the diamond above or just a personal preference?
i_dont_like.jpg

I am going to watch more videos of the diamonds rotating. Maybe when they are moving the ones with the dark bands are actually more sparkling? Is a stone with a few dark bands more desirable than either extremes?

I am not looking to buy any diamond right now so I am not looking at inclusions, etc right now. I just want to start learning so that when the time comes I am not overwhelmed.

Thank you so much for any help and understanding!

Victoria

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results