shape
carat
color
clarity

Last minute Tiffany diamond concern

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vuster

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
I''ve just purchased a Tiffany Lucida ring. 0.44 VVS1 and E in colour. It costed me 8500 Australian dollars. I don''t know much about diamonds especially when it comes to the cut so I would like to know if I should really be concerned about my ring or not? I thought it would be safe going to Tiffany as they only accept quality diamonds. Is this true?

I have requested a few more diamonds for them to get into the store as they didn''t have much stock in my price range. I am most likely going to be paying a bit more for a larger diamond as 0.44 is a bit small. I guess I will have to settle with a lower colour grade if I want a larger rock at the price I paid. I''m thinking maybe I should go for the Tiffany setting if I''m getting better value. Is the tiffany setting more expensive than the Lucida given the same Carot/clarity/colour?

Thanks for your help.

p.s I know most people here would think that I could get better value buying elsewhere but my gf values the brand more than the rock.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess the best thing to do would be to IdealScope the one you've bought and the ones you're having brought in?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At Tiffany''s you will pay more, but rest assure you will get a high quality piece of jewelry.

The Lucida I imagine, you pay a little more than any other standard diamond shape, The Lucida is a patented Tiffany cut which brings added value compared to standard shapes. The same goes for their Legacy (patented cushion shape diamond that only Tiffany''s sells).

But as far as quality, Tiffany has very strict Quality Controlers!!!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock

I agree that at Tiffany''s u will be paying more because u are not only buying a diamond, but also the name. For the same price range and different clarity and color combinations, you would get a variety of different stones for a larger carat size... i am sure some of the experts can chime in here with their views.

But yes, in tiffany''s u are sure to have gotten a quality stone no matter what size it is..

use the PS calculator, im sure u will benefit from it and the options it can offer. Many ppl have gone down in clarity (as long as it is eye-clean to you) and in color and are very happy with their purchase. Personally I went for an SI1 (very eye-clean) and a G color. it sparkles like anything and is extremely white and i couldn’t be happier...

at the end of the day, it is a personal preference and i wish you all the best...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/29/2005 4:27:35 AM
Author: DiaGem
The Lucida I imagine, you pay a little more than any other standard diamond shape, The Lucida is a patented Tiffany cut which brings added value compared to standard shapes. fancy shapes cost a lot less than rounds because they do not preform as well and the cutters get a much better yeild from the rough. tiffany Lucida is not designed to be what you would call a great performing stone - it is more like an old cut, charming, interesting, unusual if you like a laid back look and the small spread does not worry you. The same goes for their Legacy (patented cushion shape diamond that only Tiffany''s sells).

But as far as quality, Tiffany has very strict Quality Controlers!!!
Do not bother using an ideal-scope - you would not be impressed.
Also can you tell the difference between E VVS1 and G SI1? If size concerns you then you should do a side by side comparison.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany is the easy and expensive way out of a diamond ring search...

I am not sure what the exchange rate for you, but THIS may prove convenient. Take a look.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Very good example, Ana. As of now, signed pieces has an etoile ring with a 0.54 VVS1 G stone which runs about $3800, so it looks like the prices of lucida and etoile are comparable. I would think the classic (and beautiful) 6-prong ring would be comparable too. I would surely drop down the clarity to a VS (the ''''lowest'''' quality tiffany offers) and bring down the color to an H-I, to maximize the size, especially if you are going with a fancy shape. Lucidas are pretty, but I noticed that they dont look big for their weight.
1.gif

BTW, At Tiffanys in NY I saw a very nice 2.18ct F VS1 which was about $51K.
23.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Lucida will not give the same performance as a round, this doesnt mean they dont perform well. Its a different look!!! As far as why fancy shapes cost less than rounds has nothing to do with the yield, a lot of fancy shapes yield on the average the same as rounds, the difference is they come out of less expensive rough, that is meant for fancy shapes.

To get a beautifull cut fancy shape today, (Pears, Marquis, Oval etc.) you would yield probably close to rounds, Straight edge fancy shapes will yield a bit more, but not like they used too a few years back.

But if it is spread you are looking for, stick to Garry''s advice and go for the round. If you are looking for a nice high crown, (which I think makes the diamond more interesting and beautifull) go for the Lucida.

The Lucida for example is considered a very LOW yield stone, when calculating its polished weight compared to the rough it started from...

vuster

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help guys. I think you guys are getting better deals in the U.S compared to us aussies. I looked at 3 Lucida rings the other day:

1).44 VVS1 E 8500(6375US)
2).55 VVS2 ? 12500(9375US)
3).75 ? ? 13500(10125)

Looking at the RRP prices from that site Ana posted there seems to be a big price difference.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: the Lucida, you wouldn't find that exact setting or stone elsewhere though you could get close with a piecemeal, so if your gf really wants that name then I'd stick with the Lucida and just get whatever your budget can afford. Tiff does sell down to I color so what does an H or I VS run if you wanted to go a bit bigger?

What does a .44 Lucida look like in person? It was noted in this thread they don't look as big as their ctw anyway due to the larger depth, so just wondering how much smaller than a round are we talking? Just curious. If you buy it, please post pix!

vuster

Rough_Rock
I've just got off the phone with Tiffany's. They had a 0.7 G VS2 for 11900(8925US) on the computer and I told them to go ahead with it but some other store bought it first.
I settled with a 0.62 H VS1 for 10200(7625US). Now I just have to wait awhile before it comes to Australia.

vuster

Rough_Rock
Mara,

When I was in the store I was holding about 4 Lucida rings. A .55, .44, .7 and another. The .44 looked so small compared to the others. Even when I compared the .44 to the .55 there seems to be a very noticable difference. The .55 looked 1/3 bigger even though it wasn''t. However when I looked at the ring again at home the .44 looked very nice. It looked big enough. I think I''ll be happy with the 0.62. :) I''ll take a snap of the .62 one when I get it as well as the 0.44 before I return it to Tiffany''s so you can see yourself.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
doh! i guess I'm a little late in my comments since you already bought the ring. But I wanted to say if your fiance is the Tiffany only type of girl. she probably won't care about the color and clarity that much as long as it's from Tiffany. I was gonna suggest something along the lines of a H VS2 as well since Tiff doesn't sell anything below than a I VS2. 0.62 looks a lot bigger than a .44! Good choice!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A 0.44 carat Square Lucida should have a diameter of appr. 4.2-4.3 mm. VS. 4.9 mm. for a 0.44 carat round shape at appr. 62% total depth.

That number does not take into consideration the distance from corner to corner which should be around 4.8 mm. on the 0.44 ct. Lucida.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results