shape
carat
color
clarity

katiedid followup -- 2 pointers or 3 pointers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all, lots of you said you preferred shared prong bands to channel set for reasons such as channel set being a little more dated, not liking the gaps between the stones, the channel set being harder to keep looking really clean, etc.

But then, many of you said you liked the channel set better than the prong set with my ering (because it matched better).

Since I really love the look of the shared prong and don''t love the channel set nearly as much, I think the prong set is what I''m going to go with (from WF). The pics I posted of the SP prong set was made with 2.5 pt stones. WF only uses either 2 point or 3 point, not 2.5. Since at least one person thought the shared prong band overpowered my ering, I''m guessing I should go with the 2 pointers instead of the 3.

Of course, now that almost 100% of people here said they liked shared prongs better than channel set, but then almost 100% said they liked the channel set one better with my ering, I''m TOTALLY flustered and am second-guessing everything!! :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dimension difference between the 2 are very miniscule
2 pointer = 1.7mm
3 pointer = 2.0mm
Either one will be lovely. Your ring = your personal taste = your choice.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Maybe this will help.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
OH MY Dogmom.....BEAUTIFUL!!!

I vote for the 2.0pt. I think it will compliment your ering and still give you the bling factor!!!! I love the 2.0pts

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dogmom! I did see that and love her ring! I''m just having a hard time deciding whether to go smaller or larger, even though it''s probably not a noticeable difference!

With the 2 pointers, the total carat weight will only be around .54-.56 ctw. With 3 pointers, it would jump to .81-.84. I asked Lesley to get me a quote for both...

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Katiedid, question.... are you going to want to wear the wedding band alone some??? If you do then I would go with the heavier weight..... If not then go for the 2.0pt. :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think the shared prong looks bad with your ring at all! The channel set (which I admit I was set to veto before I even saw it, but then ended up really liking) is just more 'matchy matchy' with your ering but in its absence the shared prong will not look bad in any way. I wouldn't even bother going half a point bigger or smaller - the one you have looks really nice!

It's like asking whether I'd prefer garlic mashed potatoes or cheesy mashed potatoes with my steak. Next to each other I might slightly prefer one over the other, but if only given one, I would think it was heaven with that steak no matter which one was on the plate.
9.gif

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll ocassionally wear the wband alone, but most often will wear them as a set. And the reason I ask about the 2 vs. the 3 pointers is that WF is most likely going to be making my band (instead of the SP one you all saw in the pics) and WF only uses 2 or 3 pt, not 2.5.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
GOT IT :) What size is your center stone???

kgwen

Rough_Rock
I think the 2 pointers will look lovely with your ring. Are you sending your e-ring back to WF while they make the custom band?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kgwen, your 2 pt band is beautiful and was actually what pushed me to get WF to make my band. My legato ering is so similar to your setting.
I need for WF to resize my ering so I''m thinking about just having them do it all at once. I need to ask Lesley what the best way to do this is--have them make the eternity band, send it to me, then I send my ering to them for resizing--or send them my ering while they are making the eternity band, and have them send them both back to me at the same time.

kgwen

Rough_Rock
Katiedid--Thanks for the kind words! I hope it works out for you!! I did not send my ering in when my custom band was being made. I just told them to set the diamonds as low as possible and it came out great. I did need to get my ering resized also, but i did not want to pay the $50 WF was going to charge me and the insurance fee to ship it to WF, so i just got it sized at a local jeweler. Also the shared prong band feels a lot looser than my ering because its only 2mm. Did u by chance address the wavy sides? Will WF make them smooth?

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll be sure to have Lesley ask them to set the diamonds as low as possible. What is the total carat weight on your ring?
I''ve gone back and forth about sending my ering back to them for resizing as well. I''m hoping that if I send it and they can send me the ering and eternity band back at the same time, maybe they won''t charge me shipping on the return back to me.

I didn''t ask them to make the sides flat. I think there has to be a reason that almost every maker of those shared prong bands uses that closed gallery, "wavy" type setting. I''m sure it has to be the safest, strongest way to make them so I hate to ask for something different and worry it''ll fall apart! Lesley did say they could make it an "open gallery" setting, where you see more of the sides of the diamonds, but I don''t really care about that and I''m sure it''s more expensive.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I vote for 2 pointers! However, it''s up to what YOU want. Both would look beautiful with your ering!

kgwen

Rough_Rock
My ring is a "3/4" band but the diamonds seem to be only covering a bit more than 1/2 the ring. There are 16 stones, so total of only 0.32 carats.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
YEAH!!!! Shared prong!! YEAH!!! I was sooooo hoping you''d try the shared prong and realize how purttty it is! I''ve gotten quotes on the shared prong with 2 and 3 pointers, and the $ diff is only $100 or so. However, you may want to only have the 2 pointers to not overpower your ring. AND, I''m like you, ACA melee from WF - I think it is worth the $ diff from Facets/SP to WF to get the ACA. I''m so happy for you! This ring with your legato sleek is gorgeous!

You may also ask Lesley if she feels the 3 pointers will sit up too high with your ring. They surely will know.

CONGRATS!!!!

31.gif
31.gif

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Katie, I''m so glad you are going with the shared-prong band. I didn''t chime in on your other thread, but that look got my vote! I think the 2-pointers are lovely and hope you will just love your new band
36.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on a 7 diamond band at the store tonight. They said it was .25 total. This would make these stones slightly more than 3 pointers. For my very flat micropave legato, they really didn''t seem too big. Just fyi...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would absolutely go with the 3 pointers! I was just looking at your other thread and thinking that band was not quite wide enough to go with the Legato. I think 3 point stones would be perfect and would not overpower your e-ring!

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ordered my eternity band! Custom from WF, .03 pt stones, mm width will be ~2.3, height will be ~1.9. Leon is going to set the stones as low as possible and finish the prongs very smooth. He''s also going to make sure the girdles don''t overhang so it won''t scratch my ering.

I''ll be sending my ering to them early next week so that they can resize it and make my eternity band at the same time. This way, they''ll be able to see the heights of the 2 rings together. They should ship back to me ~ July 9th.

The difference in the .03s vs the .02s was only $150 in platinum, and Lesley thought the .03s would look great without being overpowering. With my 4 3/4 finger size, I don''t think it will look too chunky or distracting with my ering.

I''m soooooo excited and cannot wait to get it! Thanks for all the advice!

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
YEAH!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
So excited for you....Did you ering from Whiteflash run big ??? Did you order your normal size???? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU
35.gif

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks! My ering was sized as a 4 1/2 but since I got it, I decided I wanted it sized up a 1/4 of a size so it won''t be tight at all--especially with the eternity band.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results