carat
color
clarity

K coloured cushions

kate12

Rough_Rock
Hello pricescopers!

I am after a bit of your expertise!

My boyfriend and I have just purchased an engagement ring off a website, the stone is a 1ct I VS1 cushion cut and the certification is by EGL International.

After paying for the stone we received an email from the website informing us that as the stone is certified by EGL int they always double check the colour quality of the stone before completing the sale as EGL int grade less strictly than GIA, and that the colour of this stone was the equivalent of a GIA K.

The woman said that it does not 'face-up white.' Now, I have looked through the multiple threads here with people posting pictures of their beautiful K, L and even M coloured stones and to me, unless they are right next to a D, E, F, stone they are perfectly white enough. My worry is that all of these stones you have posted are still considered as 'face-up white,' is that the case?

If there is anyone out there who has a K, L, M diamond that does not 'face-up white' I would love to see them!

I don't know too much about diamonds, so any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Kate,
Unfortunately, many stones graded I by EGL International turn out to be M-N-O color in my experience.
You'd really need a GIA report to know what color the stone is.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it's so nice that they check AFTER you've already paid for it :rolleyes: Any way to get your money back?

kate12

Rough_Rock
Oh yes they have actually been really great. When they wrote to us they said we could either continue with the sale, select another stone, or cancel the purchase all together.

We made the decision to continue, as we can return the ring within the first 30 days for a full refund if we want.

They sent me a photo of the stone and indeed it is tinged, the photo isn't in daylight so it's hard to see how it looks in normal day light. I'd attach it...but I don't know how!! :lol:

I'm just trying to kind of prepare myself for what is coming so I'm not disappointed!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the photo just for fun?

Edit - or can you give us a link to it?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kate12|1425413586|3841389 said:
Yes! I figured out how to do it: http://s1.postimg.org/eanlqmj4v/XTJ45032_1.jpg

Thoughts?

The color is not the only problem with the stone....it's not a well cut stone. Many of the stones you see posted here that are
K colored or lower are really well cut stones and sort of mask the color because they have such good light return. I think you
are going to see every bit of the K color in this one.

If they havent sent it out I would tell them not to and let us help you pick a pretty cushion with good light return. BTW, I have nothing
against K colored stones. (I do have something against poorly cut stones. :(sad )

If you tell us what your budget is and some specs (size etc.) we can show you would a nicely cut cushion should look like. It would
be good for you to know so you know what to look for.

kate12

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1425417701|3841426 said:
kate12|1425413586|3841389 said:
Yes! I figured out how to do it: http://s1.postimg.org/eanlqmj4v/XTJ45032_1.jpg

Thoughts?

The color is not the only problem with the stone....it's not a well cut stone. Many of the stones you see posted here that are
K colored or lower are really well cut stones and sort of mask the color because they have such good light return. I think you
are going to see every bit of the K color in this one.

If they havent sent it out I would tell them not to and let us help you pick a pretty cushion with good light return. BTW, I have nothing
against K colored stones. (I do have something against poorly cut stones. :(sad )

If you tell us what your budget is and some specs (size etc.) we can show you would a nicely cut cushion should look like. It would
be good for you to know so you know what to look for.

Oh I'm really unhappy to hear that! The stone was listed as an excellent cut, but I'm guessing now that that is also less strict on EGL intl?

The problem is that I am based un Europe so anytime I have found a nice stone on an American site the taxes and duties push it far over my budget.

I was also really caught up on having a 1ct stone, which is silly I know, especially if it is a bad quality stone.

Basically I would like as close to 1ct as possible, cushion cut. Doesn't need to be a D, E, F but one that is not horribly tinted. Ideally the stone itself needs to be less than 2000€ as the setting I want takes up the rest of the budget.

I used the website 77diamonds, the setting is tsarina in 18k gold.

I was thinking of swapping the original stone for something like this:

DIAMOND INFORMATION
Code: CUSCPA5VMY84P
Cert. Number 2156477177
Depth: 72.70%
Table: 59.00%
Pol: EX / Symm: EX
Fluorescence: None
Meas: 5.31 x 5.30 x 3.85(mm)
Colour: K
Cut: Excellent
Cert: GIA

Or this one (and not getting the Tsarina setting)

DIAMOND INFORMATION
Code: CUSCPEDHBH6XC
Cert. Number 1179559554
Depth: 68.40%
Table: 56.00%
Pol: EX / Symm: VG
Fluorescence: Faint
Meas: 6.60 x 5.61 x 3.84(mm)
Colour: K

kate12

Rough_Rock
Is it better to go for a better colour and clarity over cut?

What would be the better choice between these two diamonds:

DIAMOND INFORMATION
Code: CUSCPTP5B2MRC
Cert. Number 2196196557
Depth: 69.60%
Table: 58.00%
Pol: EX / Symm: G
Fluorescence: None
Meas: 5.58 x 5.13 x 3.57(mm)
Colour: J
Clarity: VS2

OR

DIAMOND INFORMATION
Code: CUSCPAGA8QGDV
Cert. Number 2171038915
Depth: 70.50%
Table: 59.00%
Pol: EX / Symm: VG
Fluorescence: Medium
Meas: 5.54x5.12x3.61(mm)
Colour: I
Clarity: VVS2
Cut: Good

kate12

Rough_Rock
Ok, I have been told that I can change the stone if I like.

I have asked them for photos of two other diamonds that are actually J colour (GIA).

What are your thoughts on these stones? I'll attach photos as soon as I get them, but from there certificates what would you go for? I am leaning towards the second one, however am a little concerned about the girdle...

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2196196557

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pag...&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=5166177635

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry kate but you cant pick cushions by just looking
at their grading report. You need to work with a vendor
that has images of their stones like
James Allen or Good Old Gold. I will post
some stones in your budget (once I get it
converted) And get my kids off to school.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like your budget is about $2250 which is a little low for 1 carat.

What to look for...crisp, clear facets that turn on/off. Some examples in your budget.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.82-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-390273
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.70-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-426074
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.76-carat-i-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-354399

If you look at the picture you posted, you can see how it looks kind of mushy under the table. No really well defined facets,
no symmetry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at the vendor you are working with. They only have a few pictures but these look like the best stones that had pictures
and that were in your budget.

The link wont do any good but here are the codes/cert numbers of 2 stones with pictures.

Code: CUSCPAVYETJGG
Cert. Number 5156727315

Code: CUSCPAVVRHJDX
Cert. Number 7171110743

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a good time for someone with a budget in euros to be buying overseas with the currency so low just now. I know people on here have bought from sellers in Antwerp or Amsterdam, maybe you could search through some threads to find recommendations? Good luck with your search!

kate12

Rough_Rock
Thanks tyty333 and the others who have given some input! I really appreciate it, and am taking it all on board!

I will wait to see the photos of the two diamonds I have requested and then I'll post them here to see what you think!

I liked those two that you posted tyty333, I'll keep my eye on them :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree that it is impossible to buy a good cushion just by a grading report, because there are FAR more badly cut ones than very good ones. It is like picking a needle from a haystack. In a cushion, you will start seeing tint usually at GIA J color. So it depends on how color sensitive you are as to what your color range will be. I would not waste time with a vendor that doesn't have photos on their site or the ability to provide ASET images which will show light return and leakage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results