shape
carat
color
clarity

just purchased princess cut and looks too small

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rumba32

Rough_Rock
My fiance purchased a princess cut diamond and we both think it looks smaller than a 1 carat. We can still return and get an exchange. Can someone please advise what to choose differently. Here are the specs...
confused.gif

Carat weight: 1.03

Cut: Very Good

Color: H

Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 70.6%

Table %: 71%

Symmetry: Good

Polish: Good

Girdle: Medium to thick

Culet: None

Fluorescence: None

Measurements: 5.51x5.59x3.89 mm

Length/width ratio: 1.01

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
That's around the normal size for a 1 ct. princess cut.

rumba32

Rough_Rock
It's in a platinum trellis cut setting. Would the setting make it look small? Or is it just a newbie question?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are comparing it to a round...yes, it is smaller than a 1 carat round! But the depth is good...the setting won't make it look smaller...

rumba32

Rough_Rock
I am comparing it to a round cut. I guess that's a no-no. I just want my 1 carat princess to look like a 1 carat. It's pretty. However, when we went to stores like Tiffany's they might have been showing us the bigger than 1 carat princess cut rocks! So when we ordered on line what we could afford based on studying the posts on this website, and other websites, what we got just looked small to us. Thanks for the inputs!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Like EP said, it's a pretty normal size for a one carat...and it looks like you did pretty well- I bet it's a beautiful stone!
1.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
You should know that the term carat refers to weight and not size. B/c each diamond has it's own personality (and sometimes temperment) cutters have to make some pretty tough choices when cutting a diamond. That's why not all 1 ct rocks are created equal and makes diamond buying difficult.

When vendors talk about carats in quarter sizes, that can mean a few different things. When they say 1 ct, they can mean really 0.95ct or 1.05ct.

Someone said that 5.5mm x 5.5mm is about normal, so you shouldn't fret. But also know that normal is 6.5mm diameter for a round.

But, if you break out your HS math and calculate the diagonal measurement of your Princess, you'll find that it's 7.85mm from corner to corner. And from a distance, no one will ever no the difference. Once you see some other real-life rings out there you'll see that yours is plenty big and plenty gorgeous.

rumba32

Rough_Rock
You know I had looked at rings at the other stores before opting to buy online. It is easy to confuse carat weight and size! I think I was fretting about nothing. My ring sure is pretty. Thanks for the words of encouragement and education. After all, it is my first ever diamond!!! And to think, it was my honey who thought that it looked small and mentioned it to me in the first place!

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
You need a little bit of distance from other rings and perspective from the buying process once you receive your e-ring. Especially if it's your first diamond and you may not be much of a jewelry type (like my FW).

Plus, it's not surprising that your guy said something first. You know how men have a size issue!
2.gif
He just wants to be sure he got you the best he could and make sure you love it.

Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results