shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Just got my WAX Model pictures!!! What do you guys think

Chrono|1416510310|3787380 said:
This is just my opinion and what I would do if that's my ring:
1. Keep the plate and make a gap.
2. If he cannot make the gap, I'd rather forego the plate.

+1

A diamond that cannot be cleaned is out of the question.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is why it is very important to keep diamonds that do not have a lot of facets extremely clean. I don't know whether what you are seeing is due to handling (hand oils) or the plate (the plate needs to be highly polished and clean).

I hate to bring this up again but are you 1000% sure a rose cut is for you? You seem to still have concerns about the look of the diamond. If not, just ignore my question. :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sigh.

ETA: what Chrono said.

Violetphoenix

Shiny_Rock

Whose idea for the design? The customer or the jeweler? I think David was just eagerly trying to please his customer. He's very good at what he does. The moonstone ring he recently made was last week's "ring of the week". Give him time, he'll get it exactly how you wanted. My ring I received couple weeks ago looks better irl then in his photos. Just wait, you'll be very happy of the end result!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Lol. I love the rose cut diamond. I just didn't realize how difficult it was to set it. And I may have over estimated the vendors knowledge/opinions on how it should be set.

I still think if its set properly it will look really beautiful.

Why can't a girl love more than one type of cut? :)

BF said I'm allowed upgrades in the future and still keep the original ring for sentimental reasons.

So I will be back here one day with questions on a non-rose cut diamond too :)

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Violetphoenix|1416511944|3787404 said:
Whose idea for the design? The customer or the jeweler? I think David was just eagerly trying to please his customer. He's very good at what he does. The moonstone ring he recently made was last week's "ring of the week". Give him time, he'll get it exactly how you wanted. My ring I received couple weeks ago looks better irl then in his photos. Just wait, you'll be very happy of the end result!
It was my design. I sent him some sketches and some photos.

I was hoping he would offer me some unique ideas or changes to my design but it didnt seem like he's the type that just does what you ask and not someone that offers their opinion much.

Yeah!! What's up with his photo taking skills? I've been highly optimistic with his work mainly due to the nice pieces that pop up here from him. So if he can create that brilliant thing...he can't possibly do too bad on mine haha

Therea still hope that the ring turna out lovely in person

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whose idea for the design? The customer or the jeweler? I think David was just eagerly trying to please his customer. He's very good at what he does.
I'm sure he's very good at making conventional rings.
This project is far from conventional.

I'm sorry this is going to sound mean, but it's just the facts.
The design was the customer's idea.
She was adamant about what she wanted despite overwhelming advice against it.
Only after the ring was made did she see the downsides of her vision.
This is unfortunate for the ring maker ... not his fault.

But saying he could make the setting 'air tight' so nothing would get between the diamond and the backing, and suggesting removing the diamond to clean it, demonstrates astonishing lack of basic knowledge.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some benches are very good at both the design and execution, whilst some benches are not so good at design but excel in the execution (or vice versa). Some benches are very good at creating certain designs but not as good at other designs, whilst some benches are good at a large variety of designs.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

kenny|1416513954|3787426 said:
I'm sorry this is going to sound mean, but it's just the facts.
The design was the customer's idea.
She was adamant about what she wanted despite overwhelming advice against it.
Only after the ring was made did she see the downsides of her vision.
This is unfortunate for the ring maker ... not his fault.
i just want to clarify one thing, everything i asked the ring maker to do, i've double checked with him and the person i sourced the diamond from to seek their expert opinions on whether or not PSers concerns are legitimate and/or result in a bad looking ring.

and both jewelers told me no it would look great, that's when i decided to trust their expert opinions and proceed with my design.

had they have told me it would look bad, i would not have insisted on the design. it's not like i'm dead set on this design i cant live without it.

but what i didn't expect was to have both jewelers realize that the design was bad after it was executed.
i would've expected that with their years of dealing with diamonds, they would've been able to foresee this and warn me about it.

i'm not mad or angry or anything, i was just a little disappointed at how the thing turned out. but i'm completely fine with him realizing that we made a bad design to begin with and wanting to make it right.

i'm just here to share my experience and maybe seek some more advice.
maybe i'll screw up and not listen to PSers again and i'll get slapped with another "i told you so".
but that's how you learn =)

i've enjoyed every moment of this experience and i wouldn't have it any other way.

some people like to go the tried and true route, others like to explore new territories, and i for one love the adventure.
and if someone else comes next and wants to set a rose cut, they'll have my story as a reference.

otherwise everyone's gonna walk out with the same exact round brilliant solitaire ring on the street (no offense to the people who own one, i think they're beautiful, i'm just different :razz:)

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock

Rose cuts are very tricky to work with for many ring styles....luckily, it sounds like DK is willing to work with you and try to get you the end result that you are dreaming of...I am looking forward to how it all turns out :) hugs!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dawnxcui, you have a very good attitude to roll with this very challenging project.
I admire you.
I hope you'll end up with a setting you love for your lovely rose cut.

I think the look of a rose cut suspended in mid air is what you fell in love with.
Have you considered setting it as a dangling earring with no backing?
I realize a single earring is not what many want, they want a pair of earrings.

I just can't think of any other setting that will give you that floating in space rose cut look.
Like a ring, a pendant would show what's behind it, your skin.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dawnxcui|1416514731|3787442 said:
... and both jewelers told me no it would look great, that's when i decided to trust their expert opinions and proceed with my design.

I'd keep in mind that people selling you something are in a bit of a dilemma.
They want your business.

If they sense good advice may be unwelcome by the customer and send you to their competitors they may become yes-men to keep your business.
Our advice here was unwelcome, but we persisted since we are not risking our income by saying things you didn't want to hear.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I've been following this thread from the beginning because I have fallen in love with a rose cut I found at a b&m and I've hesitated buying it because I have no idea how I would set it and now I'm terrified to even take on the project! :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1416515732|3787458 said:
They want your business.
If they sense good advice may be unwelcome by the customer and send you to their competitors they may become yes-men to keep your business.
Our advice here was unwelcome, but we persisted since we are not risking our income by saying things you didn't want to hear.

Jewellers vary. I worked with one shop recently where the designer shot down everything I suggested because it was either structurally unsound or would not look good in real life. :lol: When looking to select the right jeweller, I always look for examples they have done in the past that is either exactly what I want or extremely close to what I have in mind.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

liaerfbv|1416516056|3787467 said:
I've been following this thread from the beginning because I have fallen in love with a rose cut I found at a b&m and I've hesitated buying it because I have no idea how I would set it and now I'm terrified to even take on the project! :lol:
aww hopefully mine turns out fine then u can get that rose cut you like! haha
see! my experiment is benefiting ppl already haha

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416516751|3787479 said:
They want your business.

Jewellers vary. I worked with one shop recently where the designer shot down everything I suggested because it was either structurally unsound or would not look good in real life. :lol: When looking to select the right jeweller, I always look for examples they have done in the past that is either exactly what I want or extremely close to what I have in mind.
i tried...there was nothing on the market that was similar, hence the adventurous route :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

dawnxcui|1416517267|3787486 said:
liaerfbv|1416516056|3787467 said:
aww hopefully mine turns out fine then u can get that rose cut you like! haha
see! my experiment is benefiting ppl already haha
Honestly- you really do have such a wonderful attitude! It's always a leap of faith to get anything made custom. I hope you end up with a beautiful result, you certainly deserve it!!!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416517444|3787490 said:
You may want to browse this website as I feel that he designs the most exquisite rings for rose cuts.
http://jamesmeyerjewelry.com/wordpress/1460-2/#.VG5XE3HF-98

i did go through his website before, the settings just didnt appeal to me...it looked too....ancient(for the lack of a better word) to me

i did find this one tho! by martinkatz, and i actually emailed and asked if this rose cut has a back plate.
someone literally responded within 2 minutes and said there is but they can make it without one if the customer requests it.
i then asked if there's any air gaps left between the plate and the diamond for cleaning purposes, and the person told me that for this one, they have left no gap (purely a design decision) and they have had no issues with getting the stone dirty (dust, lotion etc trapped in between the plate and the diamond)

just something interesting i thought i'd share.

http://www.martinkatz.com/collectio...ection/rings/#collections-rings-hauteart-8249

8249.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have seen many posts in CS where a completely enclosed setting had stuff trapped in it and the only way to get it out is to remove the stone from the setting. This is from the wearer's point of view, not the seller. Having no gap though, is more aesthetically pleasing when viewed from the side. One can tell that there is a backplate used for that setting in the picture because otherwise, the shank should be easily seen in the picture through the stone.

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

Chrono|1416520042|3787526 said:
I have seen many posts in CS where a completely enclosed setting had stuff trapped in it and the only way to get it out is to remove the stone from the setting. This is from the wearer's point of view, not the seller. Having no gap though, is more aesthetically pleasing when viewed from the side. One can tell that there is a backplate used for that setting in the picture because otherwise, the shank should be easily seen in the picture through the stone.
can you link me to a few pictures/threads? so i can prepare myself for the potential ugliness that could happen to my ring haha

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Dirty gemstones and diamonds look cloudy/smoky and don't sparkle.

I don't consider this to be David's fault at all. He's been doing what you've asked every step of the way. This diamond is never going to be sparkly like an OEC, MRB, or any other stone with a pavilion, no matter how it's set.

I don't have a round white diamond solitaire as an engagement ring, so I get wanting to be different, but I think you've made a lot of mistakes along the way that should have been avoided, and now David is paying the price. I still think that not seeing the diamond before setting it was a big problem. If you had an idea of how the stone performed, you would have a better idea of how to set it.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hello, I don't dislike your ring at all, it's quite lovely but it is you that must love it.. I have a 1.64 G MRB that I have had set so many times and swear I have spent 8K over the years setting it and I still don't like this latest one.. you know it when you see it.. I like your diamond and I like especially one setting in this pointer: Megan Thorne

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/rose-cut-diamond-romance-6-unique-rings-your-valentine

your stone is a style from the 16th century so maybe (perhaps) you would like something like the above? your stone is beautiful and unique!!! from what I have seen, the David Klass company makes beautiful rings and I'm sure they want you to be happy (hope so :) I look forward to what you choose next.

:wavey:

dawnxcui|1416512550|3787408 said:
It was my design. I sent him some sketches and some photos.

I was hoping he would offer me some unique ideas or changes to my design but it didnt seem like he's the type that just does what you ask and not someone that offers their opinion much.

Yeah!! What's up with his photo taking skills? I've been highly optimistic with his work mainly due to the nice pieces that pop up here from him. So if he can create that brilliant thing...he can't possibly do too bad on mine haha

Therea still hope that the ring turna out lovely in person

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've followed your journey from the beginning and have to say -- you have the best attitude. Seriously, you've dealt with the ups and downs really well. I hope your ring turns out how you envision it. Can't wait to see it when it does!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chrono|1416516751|3787479 said:
They want your business.

I totally agree.
That why I was careful to write, "they may become yes-men to keep your business."

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock

update from david after i asked if he can leave a gap for me to clean between the ring ad the plate:

Here is how your stone looks with the high polished back plate. The halo is actually made so it fits over the stone and it is very tight. I consulted one of the top antique rose cut jewelers in the LA diamond district and this is how he sets his stones. If I leave a hole or small space condensation and dirt will get behind the stone daily. Since the yellow color of your stone concerns you the only option is the plate. If we leave the plate out you will have access to clean the stone, but you will have some warmth showing from the stone and your finger beneath. You will have to be more careful with this style of ring around liquids other than water, and I can not guarantee in the future that you will not have to unset the stone for some cleaning.

i think the first two pictures are taken of the diamond sitting only on the plate
the 3rd picture has the halo on it.
lighting is different in the last two photos, you can tell the model's hand changes colors.

20141121_092219.jpg

20141121_092222.jpg

20141121_092412.jpg

20141121_091955.jpg

Blessed1

Rough_Rock

FrekeChild|1416520998|3787540 said:

I don't consider this to be David's fault at all. He's been doing what you've asked every step of the way. This diamond is never going to be sparkly like an OEC, MRB, or any other stone with a pavilion, no matter how it's set.

I don't have a round white diamond solitaire as an engagement ring, so I get wanting to be different, but I think you've made a lot of mistakes along the way that should have been avoided, and now David is paying the price. I still think that not seeing the diamond before setting it was a big problem. If you had an idea of how the stone performed, you would have a better idea of how to set it.

FrekeChild said it perfectly

Michelez

Shiny_Rock

I'm going to agree with the above. I think it put David at a real disadvantage because you didn't realize the properties of rose cuts, didn't even see the stone before it was set which was a huge mistake. You should have had the stone sent to you so you could "live with it" a while and get to know its characteristics. It's good that you are keeping a good attitude about this and I'll say the same thing about David.

ooeemusic

Shiny_Rock

Blessed1|1416548367|3787782 said:

First, let me say, I think your stone is gorgeous! Really, I love it! but I do think part of the issue is what is said above. Maybe I'm seeing things, but to me, even with the back plate on, the stone still looks very warm. I don't think this particular stone is going to give you the bright white and sparkle you seem to be looking for.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

Michelez|1416577278|3787873 said:

I'm going to agree with the above. I think it put David at a real disadvantage because you didn't realize the properties of rose cuts, didn't even see the stone before it was set which was a huge mistake. You should have had the stone sent to you so you could "live with it" a while and get to know its characteristics. It's good that you are keeping a good attitude about this and I'll say the same thing about David.

+1 to both. I think David is going above and beyond here, and deserves nothing but kudos. Nothing is going to make a K look like a D, and a rose cut sparkle like a stone with a pavilion and more facets.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results